Subject: User Review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Geiger
United States
Morris
Illinois
flag msg tools
BRIEFLY Trick taking card game with a twist and a clever medieval theme. Each suit is a color coded weapon type (lance-purple, sword-red, ax-blue, etc.) and each card in a suit has a numerical value. There is also a "white" group of squire and princess cards that can be played with any weapon type, and "Action" cards to spice things up.

A "tournament" starts with one player laying a card in a suit and the next player attempting to lay enough cards in that suit (or white squire or action cards) to beat the total of the cards played by the previous player. Play continues around the table until no one challenges the current high. The Player with the highest point total wins the tournament and gains a token. The first player to get a token in each of the 5 suits (or 4 out of 5 in a four or five player game) wins the game.

BITS Nice looking game. Cards appear durable.

DIFFICULTY Easy. Good family game, even with young kids.

THRILLS Fun game. Tension especially builds in the tournaments toward the end of the game. Typically several players are on the cusp of victory, and agonize over whether to play crucial action cards in the current tournament or hold back to win the next tournament.

BEST PART The game play flows very nicely and the theme is well integrated with the mechanics.

MAIN GRIPE Not a very deep game.

TIP Bring real medieval weapons along when you know you are going to play. When a crucial tournament occurs, and your opponent is deciding whether to play another card to beat your current total, pull the weapon out, slam it on the table and give him a wild, murderous look. He'll withdraw. And if he doesn't...well, you know what to do.

OVERALL Nice light family game. I have introduced this game to two of the gaming groups I play with. One group went out and bought a copy. The other group ( I will call it the "Cheap Group") did not, but they regularly ask me to get my copy out to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.