Popular Tags: [View All]
Zach M
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This week we are going to be looking at two games in the Pandemic Survival Series - Iberia and Rising Tide.

Pandemic Iberia is a 2016 game from Matt Leacock and Jesus Torres Castro, with art from Atha Kanaani and Chris Quilliams, and published by Z-man Games.

This version of Pandemic takes place in 1848 on the Iberian Peninsula. Some diseases are running amok and its up to you to stop it! Expect, it is 1848, so you aren't really going to be able to cure it. You are really only going to be able to treat it and research it.
You have the same basic moves from Pandemic, move from space to space, remove a disease cube, and trade cards. You can't fly though, what with planes not existing, and what sort of fever dream makes you think you can take to the sky like a bird? Now, you can go from port to port. What about the interior of the land? Well, luckily for you this is also the time when the Iberian Rails were being built. So you are also going to be able to built rail systems, that well let you move all over quickly. (It must be a train game in disguise. The Horror) Because it takes so much longer to move around in this game, you are able to put down some level of protection against the diseases, Purification Tokens, which represent clean water in a given region. When a city would be infected, you remove one of these instead. When the disease is finally researched at a hospital, you do not gain the ability to cure it (once again it is 1848), but you can use this information to lay down purification tokens across all regions.
The game ends the same way, place down all the cubes, hit 8 outbreaks, or run out of cards will cause you to lose. Researching all 4 diseases will get you the win.
This game also comes with two types of variants. Historical diseases add extra difficulty, and Patients causes the infection cubes to move once hospitals are built.

Rising Tide is a 2017 game from Matt Leacock and Jeroen Doumen, with Art by Atha Kanaani and Samuel Shimota, and is also published by Z-man Games.

Rising tide drops the disease angle, and instead has you building dykes to keep the ocean from drowning the Netherlands. There is only one type of cube, water, and it flows. having three water cubes i a region will cause all adjacent regions to have two cubes, and all regions adjacent to them get one cube. You only have a limited amount of cubes, so to stymie this, you need to build dykes which will stop water from flowing farther inland.
Instead of researching, you are using the cards to build structures. Build all 4 and you win! Each one gives you a one-time bonus in its region, but it needs to be built in a specific place, which is marked on the map. You are also able to build ports, which help you move across the board faster, and water pumps. These activate at the end of each player's turn, pumping water from any region they are connected to. These help keep the water somewhat at bay.
Instead of epidemics, you have storm cards, which does the same basic actions. But as more and more storms appear, the tide rises(OMG now the title makes sense), causing flooded regions to swell and spread further inland.
This game also comes with some variants, including dealing with population, and region specific objectives.

So we will talk about both of these games and figure out which one we like better. The one that feels like pandemic evolved, or the one that tries something new?
If you have any questions, put them down here and we will talk about it when we record. If you have any reactions to the episode, put them here and we will reference them in a future show.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Stewart
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy the survival series so far. My group and I get behind the themes and narrative of each one.

I have enjoyed rising tide a little bit more as it takes the pandemic mechanic and just uses it in a way to feel different than pandemic, but samey enough to not feel like I'm drowning.

I know there is the plan for another survival series release in November this year. I kind of hope they slow down with the series, my wallet can only take so much abuse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Stewart
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also there's a spelling error on one of the event cards where you add to your hand limit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.