Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » Rules

Subject: Open rooms - Monster focus? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve H
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Say there are a few rooms. Character #1 is down a hall fighting and opens Room A and goes in. There is a Room B at the other end of the hall. Character #2 opens the door to Room B, then goes invisible. Character #1 is not visible to the monster since he's in Room A. I know since Character #2 is invisible and an obstacle and in the door so the monster cannot move.

Next turn. Character #2 moves fast down the hall to Room A. What does the monster in Room B do? Did he see the character become visible and go after it? Or just sit there because he doesn't see anything? I'm assuming he starts moving (always get a focus first no matter where it is, rather than line of sight) but want to double check.

Thanks in advance!

(Getting a bit frustrated that I have to look up rules on about every other move. I know I'll eventually get it)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Putnam
United States
Lowell
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A monster determines its focus based on the nearest enemy figure. LOS has no impact - they all have radar.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Mountford
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Note also that being invisible in the doorway will not stop flying monsters from moving.

And yes, the answer above is correct. As long as there is an path (assuming infinite movement) to a hex from which the monster can attack--and as long as the monster has movement on their ability card for the round--that monster will move.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve H
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to both of you for confirming what I thought. One of the easier ones I had questions about.

The line of sight is really messing me up especially after seeing another thread where it's a one hex hallway and the one at the top does not have line of sight to the one the bottom even though they could walk over to each other and bash each other with the bow. Makes absolutely no sense to me.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sutibu wrote:
Thanks to both of you for confirming what I thought. One of the easier ones I had questions about.

The line of sight is really messing me up especially after seeing another thread where it's a one hex hallway and the one at the top does not have line of sight to the one the bottom even though they could walk over to each other and bash each other with the bow. Makes absolutely no sense to me.



That's one of those weird corner cases the community invented in order to push the line of sight rules to its limits. No such tile exists, so it would never actually come up in practice.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve H
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
sutibu wrote:
Thanks to both of you for confirming what I thought. One of the easier ones I had questions about.

The line of sight is really messing me up especially after seeing another thread where it's a one hex hallway and the one at the top does not have line of sight to the one the bottom even though they could walk over to each other and bash each other with the bow. Makes absolutely no sense to me.



That's one of those weird corner cases the community invented in order to push the line of sight rules to its limits. No such tile exists, so it would never actually come up in practice.


OK, that's funny. Although I've read some others and they don't make sense either. But I figure if I mess up for both my characters and the monsters then it's even. :-)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willott
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
No such tile exists, so it would never actually come up in practice.

Except for the scenarios where an overlay tile is used to create a corridor between two rooms, which brings up this exact problem. Officially, a monster or character standing in that 1-hex-wide overlay corridor cannot be seen by anyone, though the corridor can be shot THROUGH by a figure on one side to a figure on the other.

There is at least one such scenario.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve H
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Willottica wrote:
Dexter345 wrote:
No such tile exists, so it would never actually come up in practice.

Except for the scenarios where an overlay tile is used to create a corridor between two rooms, which brings up this exact problem. Officially, a monster or character standing in that 1-hex-wide overlay corridor cannot be seen by anyone, though the corridor can be shot THROUGH by a figure on one side to a figure on the other.

There is at least one such scenario.


Thankfully, if/when I get ever get to this scenario I'll probably still be confused by line of sight rules and just shoot the monster/character since it will just make sense to do so.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willott
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well that's why a number of us are houseruling LOS to be hex->hex (any part) rather than strictly corner->corner. To actually apply corner->corner LOS consistently, noticing all those corners behind/beside figures, would be extremely difficult (at least for me).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j ribs
msg tools
mb
Willottica wrote:
Well that's why a number of us are houseruling LOS to be hex->hex (any part) rather than strictly corner->corner. To actually apply corner->corner LOS consistently, noticing all those corners behind/beside figures, would be extremely difficult (at least for me).


What is the difference between hex->hex (any part) and corner->corner? Is the corner of a hex not considered part of the hex?

Remember RAW is any corner to any corner. Even using RAW, you can see enemies standing in that single corridor space example that you brought up.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willott
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hex->hex, as I wrote it, means any part of the hex. Corner->corner, as the current FAQ specifies, requires that you draw a line from one corner to another, and exclude any corners that touch walls.
Since the corners on the one-hex corridor all touch walls, they all must be excluded, even though you could easily draw a line from the centers of the hexes that avoids all walls.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sutibu wrote:
Willottica wrote:
Dexter345 wrote:
No such tile exists, so it would never actually come up in practice.

Except for the scenarios where an overlay tile is used to create a corridor between two rooms, which brings up this exact problem. Officially, a monster or character standing in that 1-hex-wide overlay corridor cannot be seen by anyone, though the corridor can be shot THROUGH by a figure on one side to a figure on the other.

There is at least one such scenario.


Thankfully, if/when I get ever get to this scenario I'll probably still be confused by line of sight rules and just shoot the monster/character since it will just make sense to do so.


In that specific scenario's defense (yeah, it sounds weird, just bear with me for a moment), it should be noted that the situation of something standing in that exact spot and being involved in combat is near impossible. Monsters and players ending there and not ending the scenario are most likely due to someone knowing the significance of this hex in game-mechanics and doing silly things because of it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve H
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Willottica wrote:
Well that's why a number of us are houseruling LOS to be hex->hex (any part) rather than strictly corner->corner. To actually apply corner->corner LOS consistently, noticing all those corners behind/beside figures, would be extremely difficult (at least for me).


I guess this thread has turned into a another line of sight discussion, sorry. Anyway....normally, I don't like house ruling anything mainly because I think it's a bit of an insult to the designer. And, for Gloomhaven, I know he play tested this a lot. Which is why I'm struggling to figure it out and see so many threads devoted to it.

For example, the one I link below makes no sense to me. Clearly you can draw a line from A to B with no walls, so why is there no line of sight? Because there is a quarter of a hex there? I know it's a game and some games just have rules you have to deal with but things like this mess with my mind which is why I'm struggling to play at times and am constantly on my phone trying to figure out what can be done. Maybe it's an age thing. Pretty sure I'm twice as old as most on here playing this (54).

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/27995112#27995112
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j ribs
msg tools
mb
Yeah I guess some people interpreted the rules to mean since a corner is on a wall, that means the line you draw technically is touching a wall so you can't use that line.

I'm surprised people actually play like that.

We play corner -> corner and if the line itself doesn't touch a wall then it's good. I've read the rulebook many times and that seems very clear to me.

I think the faq should be used to clarify rules, not add more.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sutibu wrote:
Pretty sure I'm twice as old as most on here playing this (54).


1/5th older You'd be surprised how many hardcore analogue gamers are old farts

On topic though: In most cases, Isaac went with the "what ever causes less discussions" approach. Most (longer) rule discussions are about the cases where the decision was at the cost of (depending on who you ask) theme/logic/consistency/intuition and edge cases that are unlikely to occur more than once in a hundred games.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve H
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DeS_Tructive wrote:
sutibu wrote:
Pretty sure I'm twice as old as most on here playing this (54).


1/5th older You'd be surprised how many hardcore analogue gamers are old farts

On topic though: In most cases, Isaac went with the "what ever causes less discussions" approach. Most (longer) rule discussions are about the cases where the decision was at the cost of (depending on who you ask) theme/logic/consistency/intuition and edge cases that are unlikely to occur more than once in a hundred games.


I do have some other "older" friends who enjoy Gloomhaven also. I an see the appeal to old turn based RPG video game players like myself instead of the current twitchy finger types.

I also wonder if BGG weren't around we'd all just play the way we think it should be. Isaac put a LOT of time and effort into this game and sometimes I think there are people who enjoy (not the best word probably) breaking things and figuring out weird cases.

From now on I am just going with what I think makes the most sense. Put myself in that room, so to speak, and act accordingly to what makes sense.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve H
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ribsies wrote:
Yeah I guess some people interpreted the rules to mean since a corner is on a wall, that means the line you draw technically is touching a wall so you can't use that line.

I'm surprised people actually play like that.

We play corner -> corner and if the line itself doesn't touch a wall then it's good. I've read the rulebook many times and that seems very clear to me.

I think the faq should be used to clarify rules, not add more.


Agree with you 100% on the FAQ. I do wish he had come up with one himself as the designer after seeing so many questions after the first Kickstarter and anticipate it there would be many more questions after the second. But that's OK. All our minds work and interpret things differently.

Corner to corner works for me. And if it's iffy whether there is a wall I'll err on the side of caution or find a room in my house that looks the same and see if I can throw something at a spot. laugh
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.