Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Freerksen
United States
River Forest
Illinois [IL]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to buy a Splotter Game which is quite out of my complexity zone. However, the artwork has won me over and I'm going to at least try.

Duck Dealer and Food Chain Magnate are the two main ones I'm interested in. However since this is unknown territory for me I'm open to others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Lanza
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You haven't mentioned Indonesia so you're off to a bad start. It's sublime.

I own FCM but haven't tried it yet. I highly recommend The Great Zimbabwe too, but Indonesia is what you want. It's elegant in design but slightly fiddly with bit management.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stone of Light
msg tools
mbmbmb
If you can, I'd suggest trying one of their games online before taking the jump, as their games certainly aren't light on the wallet.

I've been playing Food Chain Magnate over on play.boardgamecore.net and it's been pretty fun. It doesn't seem as complex as its listed weight would make one believe though I imagine that's because all the bookkeeping stuff is handled by the website. I'm looking forward to getting my physical copy.

This is the only Splotter game I've played, and I've only played it online, so I cant' speak on how the physical game is or on how their other games play. However, boardgamecore also hosts online play of Antiquity and The Great Zimbabwe in addition to Food Chain. Also, http://www.slothninja.com/ has Indonesia but I've never played a game on their site so I can't speak to how easy the interface is.

Both these sites operate in a turn based manner that doesn't require you to remain online while the game is running. Simply log in when it's your turn, take your move, and wait until it's your turn again. The downside to this is that it can take a while to finish a game, delaying the process of getting to know the game. Still, better than buying a game and finding out you don't enjoy the game play.

Unfortunately, I didn't see an online implementation of Duck Dealer, so you'll just have to make a judgment call on that one.

Good luck with whatever game you go with!

Edit: Just as a disclaimer, I should point out that The Great Zimbabwe just very recently came out of closed beta on boardgamecore, so I don't know that I'd recommend trying that one online quite yet. There may still be a few bugs on rules enforcement and such. I really can't say how far along it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Duck Dealer, but its lack of a quality rating further makes me want to say get FCM, which is brilliant. I have played Indonesia, which is really good too, but FCM is better.

The rules for FCM aren't bad. The decision tree and a lack of safety net offer the depth though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Longobardi
Brazil
Mogi das Cruzes
São Paulo
flag msg tools
TOASTY !!!
badge
FLAWLESS VICTORY
mbmbmbmbmb
The Great Zimbabwe and Food Chain Magnate are work of art in game design. I've played over 300 different games, and those two became instant favorites! - top #2 and top #3, respectively (only behind Dominant Species, my top #1). There are no games like these.

I have Indonesia, but couldn't make it to the table yet.

I had been thinking to pass on Antiquity, but based on other Splotter fan's reviews, now I've been considering getting it.

I am eagerly waiting for a Roads & Boats reprint.

I've missed an opportunity go get Duck Dealer for cheap... because I had not played any Splotter on that moment... I hope I have another chance someday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nothing says "I love you" like a new dice bag
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Duck Dealer is a bit of an odd duck (sorry) and I wouldn't judge other Splotters by it. The upside is that it's often quite a bit cheaper than others, so if you want to pick it up because the idea of it interests you, by all means.

I generally say that my favorite Splotter is Roads & Boats, although Antiquity is a close second, and Food Chain Magnate is also very good. FCM has been described as "a knife fight in a phone booth" whereas Roads & Boats can be played with a lot of interaction, or very little at all. We've gotten Indonesia to the table once, and it was interesting, but much longer than the others (FCM probably the fastest of the bunch, R&B and Antiquity around 2 hrs, Indonesia took us all afternoon).

I've always wanted to try Bus but we don't have the third person for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, compared to what you own, FCM is a huge jump in depth.

Is anyone going to play it with you? You said your group is pretty light.

*shrugs*

It's a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that Indonesia plays best with four. The Great Zimbabwe is a nice entry into their games. Doesn’t take too long, rules are reasonable, and it’s a great strategy game. If you’re going in cold with FCM, be sure to check with the forums to make sure everyone gets a good start, there are poor early choices that can doom you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludwig Seitz
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
We've gotten Indonesia to the table once, and it was interesting, but much longer than the others.

That is weird, based on my experiences I would have put this among the shorter Splotters.

As for the OP's question: If it is between Duck Dealer and Food Chain Magnate, I'd recommend FCM. If you got the occasion to try before you buy, I'd also strongly second that recommendation (Splotter is not for everyone's taste).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
Favor Euros + Ameritrash, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Don't forget to have fun!
mbmbmbmbmb
FCM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Freerksen
United States
River Forest
Illinois [IL]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
Yeah, compared to what you own, FCM is a huge jump in depth.

Is anyone going to play it with you? You said your group is pretty light.

*shrugs*

It's a great game.

Yeah but I think if the theme is strong enough I think that could help them grasp some of the rules. I think a big reason BSG failed so hard is that only 1/3 of them saw the show and that made a lot of things go wonky. I realized sometimes a strong theme can make a game easier to grasp.

Thank you I decided to get The Great Zimbabwe as I think it will help since it can play 2, more introductory and with another person knowing how to play it can grow from there.

EDIT: sorry for the delay on responding forgot to subscribe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.