Wade
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I am fairly new to war gaming in general and brand new to this series.

Should I learn/play the Saratoga battle first? (Since it looks to be the first game in the original series from what I can find)

Or is there another battle that has easier rules
?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rumpelstilskin
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Eutaw Springs first.
Low counter density, two almost equal armys.

You don't need to use the special rules in your first game. Just play with the standard series rules, so it will be easier to learn the gameplay.

Add the special rules in your 2nd or 3rd play. They add to the joy.

Have fun. Great system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Wiik
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was new to the system as well & agree Eutaw Springs easiest battle to learn the game with.

But when I taught the game to a friend I went with Guildford Courthouse, with me as the British. That way the American player only has some 5 units to move in the first several turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nap George
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Start with Eutaw, then Guilford, then Brandywine, then Saratoga. For me then Germantown and Monmouth (if I can score a copy).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Wiik
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Having only gone thru Eutaw & Guilford, that seems a curious order. From impression Brandywine seems the most complex & variable of the battles. Any reason why you placed Saratoga last? It seems an upscale Guilford that shouldn't be all that difficult

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.