1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Deck Building Games needed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kacper Siedlecki
msg tools
Hi

Me and my friends are enjoying Deckbuilding Games Dominion and Ascension and I would like to buy some more games in this type. However I have played my share of Yu-gi-oh and MTG and would prefer if the games would have more interaction between players, have some combo potential and be more complex. The game that looked like it would fit the requirements was Nightfall however I was told it is not produced anymore so bad luck. Any ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N Jones
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
You are who you choose to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
Edit: This is with interaction in mind more so than heavy combos.

Two Player:
Star Realms

Multi Player:
Puzzle Strike (Third Edition)

Race game with Deck Building:
The Quest for El Dorado

Push your luck game with Deck Building:
Clank!: A Deck-Building Adventure or
Clank! In! Space!

Edit: This has had some buzz about the clever combo potentials with the small deck pre-construction:
Sakura Arms
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Hatch
United States
San Pedro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you think you'd enjoy cooperative play on occasion, Aeon's End is an excellent choice. (By far my favorite deckbuilder. Lots of cards with excellent combo potential and plenty of interaction between the players.) Oh, and it's worth noting that a Legacy version will be on Kickstarter starting February 13th.

Both Trains and Automobiles use a deckbuilding mechanic along with actions on a board, and do it well. It should be noted that Automobiles would likely be problematic for a color-blind player, since instead of cards it uses colored cubes with the meaning of each cube being displayed on a single set of cards. (Which is one of the things I like about it... no shuffling.)

In the Valley of the Kings series, every card has three possible uses... cash, points, or a special ability that varies by card. To score points with a card you have to remove it from your deck, so choosing the right time to start thinning your deck is a huge part of the strategy. The available cards are all shuffled together, so compared to other deckbuilders the variety is greater in a single game but it isn't as different when replayed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike De Groote
Belgium
Heist-op-den-berg
antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn

Summoner Wars

Warhammer: Invasion

Omen: A Reign of War

Core Worlds

Eminent Domain

Any set of dice masters

Island Siege

Titanium Wars

Terra Evolution: Tree of Life

IF you want a good ccg try the old battletech ccg

not all are deckbuilders like dominion but they have dice/pool/deck building in them.
look them over who knows something you like might be in there, i enjoyed them all

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Osterman
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I knocked out several plays of Hardback this weekend.

If you're not the sort to love Scrabble though... might not be for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't beat Star Realms (for competitive) and Aeon's End (for co-operative) as far as interaction between players is concerned.

Also got them mad combos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stanton
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My deckbuilder of choice, one that goes beyond 'play cards, buy card, shuffle, repeat' is Valley of the Kings.
You have to balance usefulness of card in deck with scoring points at the end of game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Nobody has yet mentioned Tyrants of the Underdark, which is deckbuilding with the purpose of area control on a board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bocephus Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Feel free to check out the other suggestions, but the game you are looking for is here: Codex: Card-Time Strategy – Deluxe Set. If you want interaction on the level of MtG or YuGiOh and deck building, this is it. The game is complete as is with no more expansions. It is pricey, but well worth it. If you want to save some, I suggest you buy it in parts rather than the deluxe version. The deluxe version is nice though, and you will probably wish you got it afterwards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kirsch
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Were you hoping for something interesting here?
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Clank!: A Deck-Building Adventure

Any of the Legendary versions, although Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game is my favorite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arctic Scavengers offers a nice level of interaction where players have to decide to use cards during a round or hold them for the end of round skirmish. If you want it all, try for the Arctic Scavengers: Base Game+HQ+Recon set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Zimmer
United States
Atlanta
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If "Chess meets Dominion" sounds like something you would enjoy, then For the Crown is awesome.
Though it is two-player so there is that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bryden
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Puzzle Strike (Third Edition) interactive and works well with more players

Trains "Dominion with a board": add a spatial area where the players can compete directly.

Core Worlds More complex deck building mechanics, almost a board game. Works fine right out of the box but the 1st expansion adds more interaction and complexity.

Mage Knight Board Game Adventure board game with a core deck building mechanic. This is definitely on the high end of complexity and you can play all for one, co-op or PvP.

Shadowrun: Crossfire or Shadowrift or XenoShyft: Onslaught or The Big Book of Madness If you want some teamwork co-op deck building. Xenoshyft is on the extreme challenging end (the expansion tones this down a bit).

Automobiles Bag building (like deck building) and is very competitive. Not strong on combos although they do exist. It is more about the race.

Arctic Scavengers and Nightfall are acquired tastes. Nightfall is not as interactive as it appears. If you like the theme then you can seek this out. There is plenty of product out there that you can get for cheap (check out Miniature Market). Arctic Scavengers is pseudo interactive, more blind bidding.

For 2 players only there are a number of tableau builders that would fit the bill, Omen: A Reign of War, for example. And there is Netrunner for the deck builder in you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Might be kind of a out-of-the-left-field rec but:

Concordia

You are drafting "personalities" and using one each turn. The way it works out, to me it feels kind of like "slow-motion" deck building (since you only play one personality per turn). But there's a lot of other things going on - network building, resource production, etc.

Lots of player interaction, and the rules interact such that it leads to some pretty complex and interesting strategic decisions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Osterman
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NoDicePlease wrote:

I picked up a copy against a friend's advice.

No. It's a terrible system, a terrible mechanic and the game is dull and lifeless as little more than an exercise in frustration. Without pre-leveling up your characters you lose most games in the first 3 rounds well before you have a chance to build up your deck with anything approaching the needed firepower.

Great theme, decent concept, un-playable collection of cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
MrOsterman wrote:
NoDicePlease wrote:

No. It's a terrible system, a terrible mechanic and the game is dull and lifeless as little more than an exercise in frustration. Without pre-leveling up your characters you lose most games in the first 3 rounds well before you have a chance to build up your deck with anything approaching the needed firepower.

Never played it but did you try playing more aggressively, dedicating yourself more to getting cards earlier than you usually do, and all?
Helped me a great deal in Aeon's End. Earlier challenges have become too easy for me now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Osterman
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
MrOsterman wrote:
NoDicePlease wrote:

Never played it but did you try playing more aggressively, dedicating yourself more to getting cards earlier than you usually do, and all?
Helped me a great deal in Aeon's End. Earlier challenges have become too easy for me now.

The way the game is set up is that each player gets at least one obstacle that does damage to the player each turn. So on your first turn it's unlikely you have anywhere near the cards (you have your starter cards) to defeat that obstacle and you're taking damage. In every playthrough I've done, at least one player is down within the first two rounds. That includes trying to focus fire, spreading damage, etc. It's just designed to be "brutal" and has the ~feel~ of being very very luck based on the draw to get the cards you happen to need for your personal challenge.

There ~are~ ways to tweek the difficulty to make it managable but that means creating your own scenarios. My recommendation is to just take a pass or take a look at the Fantasy version they just released "DragonFire".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Krause
United States
GRAND RAPIDS
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Nobody has yet mentioned Tyrants of the Underdark, which is deckbuilding with the purpose of area control on a board.

I second mentioning it. Tyrants of the Under Dark is one of the best deck building games I've played in years. If you haven't played the game before it's an area control deck-building game set in the Dungeons and Dragons universe. Each player is controlling a faction of Drow fighting for control of mastery of the under dark. To aid you in this endeavor you will conscript help from two of four factions (six with the expansion): Drow, Dragons, Demons, Elementals, Undead, and Aberrations. At the end of the game, the player with the most control points is declared the winner.

While I love many of the games mentioned before definitely do not have the same level of interactivity that Tyrants has. If you want deep combos, good strategy, and you're not afraid to get mean, Tyrants is the game for you. If 50-70 bucks is too much for you at this particular moment my budget choice would be Valley of Kings: Last Rights. Which also has a fair amount of interactivity.

Quick Edit:

If you're open to the idea of Co-ops Shadowrun Crossfire and Dragonfire are great games, however, Aeon's End: War Eternal really knocked my socks off. It's a co-op game that REQUIRES preplanning and player interaction to win. Seriously. If you don't communicate your plans you will lose. Not only that most of the character powers associated with this follow up to Aeon's End are not, by themselves, powerful. Only when you work with your fellow players will your real power really come online. That said the previous title Aeon's End was nowhere near as polished as its second incarnation and lacks a lot of the innovation that makes War Eternal (in my opinion) a better game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rathma P.
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Arkham Horror the Card Game, Android Net Runner are a couple of good ones that comes to mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
rathmax wrote:
Arkham Horror the Card Game, Android Net Runner are a couple of good ones that comes to mind.

Neither of these are deckbuilders.

He's looking for games where you modify your deck during the game, putting new cards into your deck each turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris T
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are a Harry Potter fan take a look at Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle.

The game has new sets of cards to purchase themed around each year, adding more rules and abilities and such as you replay it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renee Sparkes
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We love Dale of Merchants. It's relatively quick, the art is amazing, you can mix and match the decks for replayability, and it has some twists on the classic deck builder. The cards have multiple purposes so knowing what to do with which cards and when can make for a fun puzzle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Wasson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
DAD JOKES
badge
Never trot when you can prance.
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried some of the expansions to Ascension? And if so, are you just cramming everything together or playing with individual sets? Because I find some of the later sets of Ascension to be very combo-friendly if you don't dilute them out to nothing by making a ridiculously huge unfocused draw deck. I think of it like Standard (or Block Constructed back when blocks had three sets) in M:tG: you get a more interesting meta and a wider range of different experiences by keeping the sets separate. Bigdeck Ascension is more like playing Legacy: it's wacky and completely unbalanced... wild fun if you're in the mood for that, but shouldn't be considered a default way to play.

+1 to Star Realms for a game about the same weight as Ascension but with much more interaction. It's basically Ascension but where you're trying to kill each other. I might even say start with Colony Wars, since it's an expandalone and the design is a little tighter, with more situationally powerful cards.

+1 to Tyrants of the Underdark. It's maybe less combo potential than later sets of Ascension, but it more than makes up for that with the whole area control direct conflict thing. If you're looking for a more complex DBG with lots of player interaction, this is the best.

+1 to Aeon's End if you're cool with co-op. It's just... It's so dang good. Highest combo focus and some of the most interesting cards in the genre, PLUS interesting asymmetrical characters and scenarios that manage to feel surprisingly different from one another.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve G.
United States
Exton
Pa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Admittedly, I'm not really up-to-speed on the latest and greatest deck builders, but more player interaction, more complexity and better potential for combos is exactly the reason I picked up Rune Age a few years back. It includes options for both co-op and head-to-head play, and the Rune Age: Oath and Anvil expansion adds even more depth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Harpring
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This thread has been pretty thorough, with only one of my favorites not being mentioned, yet. A Study in Emerald (second edition) is a deckbuilder mixed with area control and social deduction. It's a different pace from other deckbuilders as it isn't combo heavy, but you have to actually manage your hand and do your best to make use of every card. Every card can be used in at least a couple different ways. Players butt heads directly and indirectly, and things can get pretty tense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.