13 Posts

Liberty or Death: The American Insurrection» Forums » Rules

Subject: Non player games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Spartan Spartan
msg tools
Hi,
Ive happily played through the scenario example in the rules but I’m trying to play a game with me as British and Indians and non player roles for French and patriots. I’m getting really bogged down in th3 flow charts though.

Any advice as to how best move forward from here other than just sticking at it or are there any YouTube videos that would help in this area specifically?

Thanks,
Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
Start here...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E4wmuPeSmUs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Griffin

Louisiana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion it is something you have to stick with. I have looked for vids on YouTube but there are not to man out there for some reason. There is a great thread on the LOD forum here that walks through a bot game step by step and several player aids. I would definitely suggest searching for those. I will see if i can find them and post. For me I actually ran through 2 long scenarios with just the bots against each other and that helped me tremendously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Griffin

Louisiana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MayorJim wrote:

Man I forgot about that one! Also look up Rick Royal's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5suTsy0nYiI&t=2s

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Griffin

Louisiana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the thread i was referring to for a complete bot walk through:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1559142/zero-player-game-bg...

and this player aid helped me out a lot:

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/153635/liberty-or-death-n...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mansfield
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly just slogging it out with the flow charts is, in my experienced opinion, the best method. It’s in their nature to slow gameplay down and feel difficult to follow but with time you’ll start to see patterns that’ll make the bot play speed up. The Bots will flow better with time.

With that said my best advice is to remember to only fulfill a bot requirement to the minimum required and stop. The flowcharts cover virtually every contingency but you don’t need to always fulfill all of them. After the bot Operation selection use the pawns to mark each space where the bot has met the requirement of that operation.

COIN bots bog down veteran COIN players too but if you stick with it they’re a beautiful window into strategy and offer superb opponent play.

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spartan Spartan
msg tools
Great guys. Really appreciate the help. I’m on it👍

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fike
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The muster command is awful.

Place units “within that first” <—-this isn’t even British or American English and is already grounds for a rebellion.

It is awful awful awful.

The link to the npc play by play is awesome. It already corrected my views on how muster worked and I thought I had finally figured it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
schmoo34 wrote:

Place units “within that first” <—-this isn’t even British or American English and is already grounds for a rebellion.

It is awful awful awful.

The link to the npc play by play is awesome. It already corrected my views on how muster worked and I thought I had finally figured it out.

+1thumbsup Yes...awful! It makes the game harder than it needs to be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fike
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
MayorJim wrote:
schmoo34 wrote:

It is awful awful awful.

+1thumbsup Yes...awful! It makes the game harder than it needs to be.

This is something like the fifth or sixth iteration of COIN...I submit to you that even in my most challenging assignments in my workplace, by the fifth or sixth time, I can muster (pun intended) a quality readable document.

If I am playing a NPC and the british must always muster 6 if possible, the reference card better say so. But it doesn't. I have to couple my knowledge of the rulebook with the reference card. (And by the way, the "must do 6" isn't in the rulebook section that explains muster, it is somewhere else as a general rule of thumb!! AWFUL!!!)

With that said, the links above saved this for me. Without them, I would have thrown this game in the trash. Ricky Royal helps a little, but it isn't enough.

If I ever leave this game for six months and come back to it, I'm going to experience the same misery all over again. This rule is here, that one is there, but those ones are hidden over there. Rubbish. Put them all together. Repeat them if it is necessary to keep them together in one place. And if you do a reference card, it MUST be sufficiently capable of being used alone...without the rulebook side by side. Because if I have to flip through a rulebook to find information not on my reference card...epic failure.

No gripe with the game, just the documentation...which looks beautiful on first blush.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
schmoo34 wrote:
This is something like the fifth or sixth iteration of COIN...I submit to you that even in my most challenging assignments in my workplace, by the fifth or sixth time, I can muster (pun intended) a quality readable document.

LoD was the fifth COIN game published, but it was the first where Volko didn't personally handle the rules writing and editing.

So, after you personally has handled an assignment the first four times, how well will your replacement who has never done it before manage it the fifth time when you're too busy with other projects?

Quote:
If I am playing a NPC and the british must always muster 6 if possible, the reference card better say so. But it doesn't. I have to couple my knowledge of the rulebook with the reference card. (And by the way, the "must do 6" isn't in the rulebook section that explains muster, it is somewhere else as a general rule of thumb!! AWFUL!!!)

I guess you'll find the first four games in the series equally awful then, since they all share exactly this failing: they all put the general "unless there are specific instructions saying otherwise, always place/move/remove etc. as much as possible" in rule 8.1.1 in the rulebook, but then leave it off the play aids...

Not sure why, now that I think about it. The more specific defaults in 8.1.2 are included on the play aids in all of the games - though usually on the Random Spaces sheet rather than on the flowchart foldout itself... when we wrote LoD I hadn't seen any complaints about that particular feature for the previous COIN games, so in that respect I just copied the pattern from those games. (Unlike, e.g., the way the Event Instructions are organized; the LoD Event Instruction layout is a direct reaction to the rather awkward way the FitL Event Instructions were organised.)

Regards,
Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
Oerjan...if it weren't for your timely responses/clarifications to LoD rules questions, we all would be hopelessly lost...thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
But if I'd written the LoD bots clearer, particularly the rulebook descriptions in 8.4-8.7, then maybe I wouldn't have had to answer so many questions about LoD... soblue

And the point about putting the 8.1.1 guideline on the play aids is a good one. I fear it is too late to sneak the 8.1.1 summary onto the Random Spaces play aids for the current reprints of AA, CL and ADP, but it may be possible to get it into FitL 2nd Edition at least.

/Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.