Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Spray
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Back in October of 2017 I finally pulled the trigger on a game I had been kind of wanting for a while. I had its baby brother Castles of Burgundy the Card Game for close to a year, but I really wanted to know if Tom Vasel’s assessment that the card game was better was true or not. Especially since Castles of burgundy is number 11 on BGG and the Card Game is ranked 548.

Well I got it. Let me just say, I usually love my Star Wars Rebellion, Blood Rage, and Viticulture artwork, and tend to not love artwork like Castles of Burgundy offers, but after having the card game I actually really enjoyed to look of this game. I’m not saying it’s amazing, but just that I am happy with it when I play the game. The dice feel amazing. They have a great weight to them. The player boards are cool. But if I didn’t feel the way I do about this game then the art would have no real effect on whether I liked the game or not.

So how do I feel about Castles of Burgundy? Well after playing this one 7 times in 3 months, this one is in my top 10 easily, I think about 6 or 7. And this is coming from a guy who bypassed this one for years. It’s not new game hype, this is 2011 hype. I’ve played a plethora of worker and dice placement games, and this one is just suburb. This is truly an eloquent design. What do I mean by eloquent? Now I have only played this one at 2 players, but it is great. A very meaty game for right around 45 minutes to an hour game play. Just like in its Card Game version, the thing I love the most about this one is the combos. You play a tile that let’s play another city, that city lets you sell some goods, that gets you one silver, and gives you enough silver to get middle tile. That is just one example of how you chain actions together. And those chains of actions make you feel like you might be the smartest person on the planet… if only for that brief moment. And then what happens next is your opponent makes some combos as well, and you stand back and say, “Well played’.

The flow of this game and its mechanics are astonishing. This one will be a go to game for a long time. And it is not too complex for newer gamers. The only item to really learn is the iconography for the science tokens. The dice aren’t as big a factor as what they would seem, as there are ways to mitigate dice rolls and still get things done. For me, this is one of the best purchases I have ever made.

So surely many of you will agree with me, but what is it about Castles of Burgundy that makes those who don’t like it dislike it? For those who do enjoy it, tell me how many times you have played this one. What’s your favorite player count? Has this one lost its luster after many plays? Let me know.

Check out my Geeklist for other games on my shelf. https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/236719/why-its-my-shelf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Sands
Canada
New Westminster
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well said, I agree completely. We have generally found playing with three to be very competitive, but we mostly play it with two. Nice medium weight game - not many of those around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Dolloff
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just picked this game up a couple weeks ago and got my first two plays in on Saturday. I was blown away by the depth of decisions and variety in strategies to pursue while the turn actions are extremely simple. The game seems infinitely replayable due to the variety and randomness of the tile availability. When we added the different player boards for the second game it deepened the strategy even further as each player has to identify the optimal scoring strategy for their board. Love this game and am very happy I added it to my fairly small collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Strait
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
Played it... perhaps a dozen or so times? Favorite player count is 4, as every tile comes out.

Also, I personally recommend picking up the Pleasure Gardens expansion and using them to replace the Guard Tower tiles one-for-one. With this done, every Building gives an action benefit (instead of the Guard Towers just being passive points buildings).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Spray
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info Peter. Have you tried any of the other expansions? The new player boards appear to add some extra challenge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hannay
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Redd85 wrote:
but what is it about Castles of Burgundy that makes those who don’t like it dislike it?

I own the game, and quite enjoy it, but it doesn't get pulled off the shelf often, because:

1. It's fiddly to setup. Even with cloth bags
2. There's too much downtime in a 4p game
3. While it's fun to go through the motions, it feels like more luck than strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Strait
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
The additional boards don't come out very often; I've found folks like to know they're using the same board, rather than feeling like someone won because of their board (i.e., before the game even started).

The boards also need an additional level of strategy: is it better to go for small groups or large? Which castle should I start on, and why? They're great once all your players are at that level but are really just a novelty, and hardly necessary (unless you feel like printing a set of four of the tournament boards).

Also, I personally dislike the other promo tiles (cloisters, park, goat) with the exception of maybe the science tiles (sequential order and worker tiles). I feel like the wild tiles are both strictly better than other tiles and dilute the choices in the game.

Haven't tried Trade Routes, but I'd be optimistic about 'em!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Spray
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone else provided some more info and I picked up expansion 2 and the pleasure garden expansion for 10 bucks on BGG. Thanks for the info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
Netherlands
Aalsmeer
flag msg tools
mb
I picked this one up a few weeks ago.
It immediately became one of my favourites.

I must agree with everything you said.

I've played this game three times so far.
I prefer a 3p game, but 2p plays very well indeed.

Curious about the card game.
Is it very different?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Spray
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's different enough for $12 bucks. It's small and has some unique features to where I am happy to own both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It’s my favorite euro.

Most often and probably best played at 2-3p. Really shines at 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.