Subject: 28 years, two months, and 27 days rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
That’s how long the Berlin Wall sliced the German city in half.

Incidentally, that’s also the amount of time between the fall of the Berlin Wall and yesterday (Monday, Feb 5th).

That means that today, the wall has now been down longer than it was up.

(info pasted from fivethirtyeight.com)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember walking home from work and flipping on the TV on November 9, 1989, and there was an incredible scene of the wall being destroyed.
I didn't think that it would ever happen in my lifetime.
My daughter was 6 months old at the time, so she's never known a "divided" Germany (although our world map on the wall showed it that way until I bought a new one-- after the USSR busted up in 1991).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife in 1988 had been paired with a pen-pal - a guy in Karl-Marx-Stadt, East Germany. It was through one of those programs to match somebody in the west with somebody in the Soviet bloc to promote understanding, etc.

Anyway, at one point this guy (Jurgen) stopped writing. We were a bit concerned. THEN - a great letter from him, from WEST Germany. Jurgen and his wife and infant son had taken their Trabi on a trip thru Czechoslovakia and Hungary and across the Austrian border (after Hungary had opened it) and to West Germany. Voting with their feet, so to speak. It was a cool letter, a real personal insight into the news.

We're still in touch with him, and have met him in person.

And I remember when the wall came down. And a bit later, I remember when the Ceausecsus were put up against a wall and shot. Quite a year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
That’s how long the Berlin Wall sliced the German city in half.

Incidentally, that’s also the amount of time between the fall of the Berlin Wall and yesterday (Monday, Feb 5th).

That means that today, the wall has now been down longer than it was up.

(info pasted from fivethirtyeight.com)
Berlin was founded around 1237 CE. What about all the years from then until 1961?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I was five years old. This is my oldest memory of anything on the news. I didn't really grasp what was going on at the time, but it was cool to see people taking sledgehammers to a graffitied wall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snoo Py
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools

If all goes well, we will witness a similar event in 3 years from now.
Not in Berlin, but in Tijuana.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thermogimp wrote:
I was five years old. This is my oldest memory of anything on the news. I didn't really grasp what was going on at the time, but it was cool to see people taking sledgehammers to a graffitied wall.

Yeah I'm a bit older but it's still a real solid early memory for me too. That and Tiannemen. The figure of Gorbachev stands out as being an ever present figure on the television screen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.