Subject: Towns and daily event cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a new player,I find my self quite baffled by some of the rules...
1)is the large,foldout map considered a town,frontier perhaps? and playable as a town...or just to play the scearios from the adventure book on?
2)rules on pg 4 state that the daily events deck contains several “ Just another Day on the frontier” cards and have no effect on the current day in town..however a specialty town has no normal days but has its own daily events printed on the card itself...and is triggered by pulling the Just another day card...is this correct...? So what happens to the events that trigger something cards..are they played as normal? And the Just another day card require triggering an event as printed on the specialty town cards?
Hope I’m clear enough..So,what’s the difference between a town and a specialty town...
Thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hodges69 wrote:
As a new player,I find my self quite baffled by some of the rules...
1)is the large,foldout map considered a town,frontier perhaps? and playable as a town...or just to play the scearios from the adventure book on?
2)rules on pg 4 state that the daily events deck contains several “ Just another Day on the frontier” cards and have no effect on the current day in town..however a specialty town has no normal days but has its own daily events printed on the card itself...and is triggered by pulling the Just another day card...is this correct...? So what happens to the events that trigger something cards..are they played as normal? And the Just another day card require triggering an event as printed on the specialty town cards?
Hope I’m clear enough..So,what’s the difference between a town and a specialty town...
Thank you

1. The large fold-out map is just for the town missions. Use the smaller 8.5x11 maps with numbered spaces for normal town visits.

2. If you draw a "just another day" event in a normal town, there's no special effect. Discard the card and play on. If you draw a "just another day" event in a specialty town, you roll on the specialty town chart for an event. If you draw any other event card, regardless of town type, you just resolve that card.

The specialty town is something you roll for when you first arrive in town. There's a chart to roll on (I believe there are copies in the rulebook and on one of the 8.5x11 cards). You might get a mining town, a ghost town, a mutant town, etc, and will have a card detailing special rules for that town. You might also just roll a normal town, in which case there are no special rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you...and forgive my ignorance here...but aren’t all towns specialty towns..? If so,my question,therefore,is do you draw from the special event deck...resolve it if not “Another day” card..and if Another day card is pulled,resolve from the event onback of town card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are not all specialty towns. Some towns are just basic Frontier towns, and don't have a special card. A town is only a specialty town if it has the smaller (half-page) sized card with special rules.

You always draw from the town event deck, regardless of town type. It's the same deck for every town. The only time you'll reference the event chart on the specialty cards is if you're in a specialty town and draw a "just another day" event card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would these non-specialty towns be the ones you travel to after a mine adventure?
Appreciate all the help here..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Simcoe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As stated in the rules (pages 3-4 of the Frontier Town rules) the order of events is -

After an adventure, players decide which which size of Town to visit
Roll for Travel Events (number based on size of town)
When Town is reached roll on the chart (top page 4) to see what type of town it is. It will either be a standard Frontier Town (no special rules) or a special one (additional rules as per the large cards.)

At the start of each day in Town, draw a Daily Event, if it is a "Just another Day...", Nothing happens if you are in a standard Town, but if it is a Special Town, you roll on that towns event chart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for the help....my problem was in discerning normal from specialty in regards to towns...since the rules delineated the included 8 cards as Specialty towns...I was kind of confused..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Vening
Australia
flag msg tools
hodges69 wrote:
Thank you all for the help....my problem was in discerning normal from specialty in regards to towns...since the rules delineated the included 8 cards as Specialty towns...I was kind of confused..

The specialty town cards aren't a "deck", in that you're not supposed to draw one at random. There's a chart (Specialty Town Types) on the New Travel and Towns sheet, and you roll 2d6, and 2-5 and 9-12 are specific specialty towns, and 6-8 is a normal town. That means 44% of the time it's going to be a normal town, and the further from 7 you get, the more unlikely those towns become (5 or 9 = 11% each, 4 or 10 = 8% each, 3 or 11 = 5% each, 2 or 12 = 3% each).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.