Subject: Victory point track innovation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Spyrium there are bonuses you get when you hit certain points on the victory point track (8 and 20 points specifically) to balance out short term vs long term strategies. (Getting to 8 points on the first turn and gaining an early bonus helps build your engine)

I've seen another game (maybe lords of vegas?) where the vp tack goes in increments of 1 at first, 2 later, 3, etc. So that events which gain you just a couple of points may not move you forward, or you may "waste" points earned that dont get you up a whole step.

I like both of these things. They innovate in a place that is usually neglected. Often a VP track could be replaced by a pen and paper (and bumping it doesn't erase your score). Not here. The VP track is an integral part of the game.

What other games use the VP track in interesting ways?

(Leave out racing games where you just call the whole board a VP track. Thats a semantic argument and you know thats not the point here)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Bailey
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Cauldron the VP track is also the currency (buy stuff to get more points), end game condition (reach the end), and certain things unlock as players pass through a set amount (extra types of magic/potions for all players).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Portage
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know there are a few games that have score threshholds for when to start a new round. Blanking on an example right now, sorry.

there is a carcassonne expan that has you place a marker on another player's score marker any you steal some of their points when they move away or something. trying to find which one that was now, I kinda thought it was a little promo one

Great Western Trail loosely relates your score to opening portions of the game to you. When a person scores a typical cow delivery it set out new tiles.

Istanbul kind of has the opposite but might be interesting to you. Your collecting points from the main board and as you do it unlocks a higher price for the next point.

any of that what your after, are you looking for a game to play or do you just want to see what other games have done with this type of mechanic?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Olympos - I don't remember exactly how it works because I haven't played in a long time. But you spend the entire game moving on a time track. After you reach the end of the time track, there is a scoring track that goes from 5 points to 0 points. You need to decide whether to stop early (and possibly end the game on a 5 point space) or take another turn (in which case you will need to move along the track to a space with fewer points). Or something like that. I'm sure an afficionado will correct me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In Carcassonne: The Castle the victory point track is the castle walls and whenever you reach a corner you collect a hidden bonus tile that goes towards end game scoring such as just points, markets being worth more, or scoring fully for incomplete roads and castles.

It makes you consider scoring less just to land on one of the corner spots to pick up a bonus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On a more simple note, Vikings lets you exchange victory point into coins to buy tiles. All players start off at 10 points instead of zero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Antike Duellum the first player to 9 points wins. Upon each of several points a player adds a city wall to his personal supply. These walls may be built to enhance a city's defense. The specific points are indicated on the scoring track.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Yi
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played Rajas of the Ganges and I really enjoyed it a lot, in part because of two cool things on their victory point tracks.

1. The victory point tracks have special spots that earn you bonus dice, upgrades, and even unlocks your extra workers (it's a worker placement game, so bonus workers are important).

2. There are TWO victory point tracks, each that start on different ends and the game-end condition is when any players' two trackers cross each other. Super cool way to make it a bit of a race, but a race via the victory point track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Zdan
United States
Council Bluffs
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barbarians: The Invasion also has rewards for crossing certain thresholds.
Terraforming Mars ties your victory points to your income.
It's been a while since I played Alchemists, but I feel like the further along you got on the VP track, the harder it was to get more (or easier to lose points?), or if you fell behind, it was easier to get more points?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In Gardens of Io the VP track goes around the square grid board, and each turn your options depend spatially on where your score marker is (a turn's action involves a line across the board starting from your score marker).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
foldedcard
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Viral, an area control game that was recently recommended to me here, adds powerful action cards to your hand as a bonus when you reach certain milestones on the score track. You tend to stall out if you go aggressively up the score track so the bonus action cards help level that out a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.