Subject: First thoughts on Kami Unbound rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Turi Fiorito
Netherlands
Schijndel
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
I finally got my game yesterday but due to life I won't be playing my first game for another two weeks. I am still hesitant if I want to start playing with the Kami expansion. Now I know I can always add it later down the line but I was wondering what people are thinking that already played with it. Is it fun? Does it add more nuance or is it maybe too cluttered?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bonneau
United States
Brimfield
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I say don't use it until you need something new. It is really neat but adds an un-needed level of complexity. This is accentuated by the lack of figure bases to easily show the owner of the kami
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Smyth
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did, and it was clearly too much. We’ve gone back to playing the base game for now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Hodgson
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MajorPWNage wrote:
I say don't use it until you need something new. It is really neat but adds an un-needed level of complexity. This is accentuated by the lack of figure bases to easily show the owner of the kami

Truth. I was wondering about alternative methods to show ownership without using the clip bases. One idea I had was to make little banners for the clans that could be inserted into a hole or slot in the mini or the base.

Then I had the idea of something like a loop of cloth, string or similar that could be draped over the mini in some way. Small beads even.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avery Bailey
United States
Kansas City
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does having the card in front of the current owner help at all? I know the dev team mentioned they didn't want the figures being clipped and unclipped over and over for game flow purposes. Any ideas on how to handle it differently?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bonneau
United States
Brimfield
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It helps but it still just another thing to watch for.

There will probably be some 3D printed rings eventually

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering the same thing. Might leave them out for my first few games then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jones
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would definitely not use it for at least the first 2-3 games. My thoughts are that I will probably never use it. The game already has a ton of variety, it really doesn't need any more complexity or chaos, which is what I mostly see the Kami expansion adding.

If anyone reading this wants to purchase my Kami, still in the box, send me a PM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Gonzalez
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played with them in our second game and absolutely love what they add.

I personally do not believe that they make the game too complex - it adds a ton more of spice to the Shintos/Kami-Phases and was singlehandedly responsible for a shift of power in a province which another player thought to have safely secured - then suddenly Fujin stormed in, double move and suddenly balance of power shifted... it was awesome.

We never had issues who the Kami belonged to, since you both have the card in front of you and a glance at the temples and checking majorities also helps.

We'll certainly add the Kami Umbound to all our games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Turi Fiorito
Netherlands
Schijndel
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
Thanks everyone for the quick thoughts, I was leaning towards leaving it out as well, at least for the first few plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Kroaxs wrote:
I finally got my game yesterday

Does that make you the first person in The Netherlands to actually have gotten the game, apart from the playmat? Did you get a mail from Gamesquest, or did your tracking update?

On topic: I too would first play at least a couple of times without adding the Kami to the Map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jones
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Justicex75 wrote:
We played with them in our second game and absolutely love what they add.

I personally do not believe that they make the game too complex - it adds a ton more of spice to the Shintos/Kami-Phases and was singlehandedly responsible for a shift of power in a province which another player thought to have safely secured - then suddenly Fujin stormed in, double move and suddenly balance of power shifted... it was awesome.

We never had issues who the Kami belonged to, since you both have the card in front of you and a glance at the temples and checking majorities also helps.

We'll certainly add the Kami Umbound to all our games.

Different strokes. There are already so many ways that power can shift in this game, adding yet another one in the form of Kami figures/special powers doesn't sound awesome to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
Im looking forward to using Kami Unbound. Im still waiting on my game but the Kami seem a bit weak without it. I like the idea of if you gain the Kami favor you get another figure on the board with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Townshend
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is all theory (first game tonight) so grain of salt and all that:

When I read over the Kami I felt similar to how others feel re: it's yet another element in a game with many elements, and I'm not sure when I'll have played enough Rising Sun--in all its variations--that I'll want to throw them in (this is also mostly why I shied away from getting Dynasty Invasion).

However, last night I was considering the map/game board. The harvest bonuses and battle sites seem a good motivator to move figures, but it seems the Kami will add an interesting layer to the board for those ready to deal with them.

It may all be a bit too much. Worst case scenario: their expansion abilities are never used, but the figures serve as tokens for who has the most force at a shrine in a given round... or they're just decorative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Leo
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmb
Lowecore wrote:
Im looking forward to using Kami Unbound. Im still waiting on my game but the Kami seem a bit weak without it. I like the idea of if you gain the Kami favor you get another figure on the board with it.

I think the Kami are a part of the game that will take players the longest to grasp the power of.

In my very first game I was Dragonfly and grabbed Oni of Spite and Fujin. . .

My opponents suffered through a very harsh Autumn.

I think there is a ton in this game to master without adding the Kami Unbound. I have Kami Unbound, and have promised myself I wouldn't use it until I paint it. This will ensure I get a lot out of the game before adding an expansion, while also incentivizing myself to actually paint the damn things, lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Gonzalez
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quasistellar wrote:
[q="Lowecore"]7

In my very first game I was Dragonfly and grabbed Oni of Spite and Fujin. . .

My opponents suffered through a very harsh Autumn.

This is just rude man... not cool. We ran into a similar situation with Bonsai-Clan... cost us 16 points and netted him the same... insanely powerful if left unchecked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Reynolds
United States
Vermontville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really disliked the Norse Gods expansion in Blood Rage because the gods were random and you had very little control over them (you could trigger their movement). Some of them also made the game feel more restrictive by limiting your options. I played a couple of games with them and prefer the game without them.

Kami Unbound, on the other hand, seems much more interesting. By giving players direct control over them, as well as a path to wrest control of Kami from other players, makes the battle for the temples seem more interesting and important. You might send a Shinto to worship where you normally wouldn't just to get the Kami on the map for its +1 force contribution. I still don't like some of the restrictive abilities but Rising Sun's battle system makes board presence (and total force) seem less important than Blood Rage because of the Take Hostage bid and a lot of other abilities that swing force in big ways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.