Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island» Forums » General

Subject: Is this game worth it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Game Geek
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I am considering whether to play this game, I have watched the How to Play video and looked over the rules.

My first impression is that this game is the most detailed and complicated board game I have ever seen. The amount of cards, tokens, and game pieces alone is overwhelming, as is the size of the game board.

There are also 40 pages of rules to read as well, and the setup probably takes 15 minutes according to some people.

On the other hand, it has won numerous awards and is a favorite, especially for solo play.

How can I decide if this game is for me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¿¿¿
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're going to have to play it.

I must admit I was cautious about learning this as well as it feels like there is a lot going on. Once you have played a few rounds though, the game flows really easily and I think everything makes sense from a rule and thematic stand point.

I don't find set up takes that long. I managed to fit most of my stuff into a plano box which saves time and have my cards separated and ready to play.

What other solo games have you played?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
al cann
United States
warwick
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great solo game ... if that helps you decide. It also is not as complicated as it seems, and most recent edition has cured a lot of the rulebook woes. Not all that expensive a game either.

The game is punishingly difficult so, if you have trouble getting back on your feet, brushing off the dust, and getting back on the horse ... I would avoid this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Geek
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Paprike wrote:

I must admit I was cautious about learning this as well as it feels like there is a lot going on. Once you have played a few rounds though, the game flows really easily and I think everything makes sense from a rule and thematic stand point.

I don't find set up takes that long. I managed to fit most of my stuff into a plano box which saves time and have my cards separated and ready to play.

Right now I am playing Friday, another Crusoe game, and also One Deck Dungeon.

They are both pretty simple and they still take me a few hours sometimes.

I am therefore concerned that this game could take an entire day to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hudson
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game looks complected, but it's really not. It's mainly a worker placement with one or two actions per person and most resolve the same way. The 'complexity' is in finding the path to victory.

With that said, in the last year i've only played it twice, both times were just the 1st scenario. I want to play it more, but i'm just having a hard time getting it back into the rotation.

Rodney has a solid Watch it played video of it, but really...you just have to play it. you'll spend some time with the rulebook the first few rounds, but after that it's pretty strait forward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Geek
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
albcann wrote:
Great solo game ... if that helps you decide. It also is not as complicated as it seems, and most recent edition has cured a lot of the rulebook woes. Not all that expensive a game either.

The game is punishingly difficult so, if you have trouble getting back on your feet, brushing off the dust, and getting back on the horse ... I would avoid this game.

It is over $60 in most stores that I have seen, maybe cheaper online.

People in another thread said you have to consult the rule book several times per game, so I don't know who to believe.

I don't mind losing the game, or it being difficult, so long as it is playable.

Do you think it is possible to learn this game simply be watching the How To Play video?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a solid game.
I agree with the others here that it's not as daunting as it appears to be once you get going (rules-wise that is).
And it's not as fiddly as you'd expect either. The system works quite well.
It is very difficult to succeed at / win, however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
Canada
Campbell River
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Ricky Royal's solo play through. I watched that and then read through the rule book. Tremendously helpful, and I knew after watching that it was a game I would enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¿¿¿
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pit of Misery wrote:

The first time I played I spent four hours and got through almost 2 full plays so it's not that long. And I was learning on the fly a fair bit.

I wouldn't call this a long game.. you can die pretty quickly

Edit: I learned the game from 1 sitting of the watch it played and maybe a bit of their actual playthrough. Then minor consulting throughout the game for some specific cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Geek
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
The consensus is about 2 hours per game.

Since One Deck Dungeon takes me 2 hours, I think for me it would be closer to 4 hours. I have some difficulty with concentration and reading.

Hard for me to predict if I will like this game or be able to play it, I will probably have to watch more playthrough videos.

Was just wondering how you would compare this game with Mage Knight in terms of complexity and hours of gameplay?

In my other thread, they said there are 1,400 rules questions in these forums. Are the rules unclear, or was that mainly because the 1st edition was confusing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Burgess
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The more effort you're willing to put in to learning this game and it's nuances, the more you will get out of it. By far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Novark Perion
Philippines
flag msg tools
mb
I play mageknight with an average of 1hr and 30minutes per game.
Robinson Crusoe is 45minutes - 1hour.

For complexity, Mage Knight is way ahead of this game. I didn't find this game to be fiddly at all. In all honesty, there's not much flexible choices you can pick here but to react on the story the game throws at you on every session.

I would also like to add that this game should be best played with 2-3 players to use the hunt feature and the difficulty to manage your food as is with any survival game. Solo play seems to remove that aspect when every day you are receiving one food and only the occasional mishaps will you go hungry.

EDIT:

For your title question... The game is like providing you an adventure story book that is light and does not need that brain burner puzzle. If you are itching for that, go for it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¿¿¿
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darky000 wrote:
I play mageknight with an average of 1hr and 30minutes per game.
Robinson Crusoe is 45minutes - 1hour.

For complexity, Mage Knight is way ahead of this game. I didn't find this game to be fiddly at all. In all honesty, there's not much flexible choices you can pick here but to react on the story the game throws at you on every session.

I would also like to add that this game should be best played with 2-3 players to use the hunt feature and the difficulty to manage your food as is with any survival game. Solo play seems to remove that aspect when every day you are receiving one food and only the occasional mishaps will you go hungry.

EDIT:

For your title question... The game is like providing you an adventure story book that is light and does not need that brain burner puzzle. If you are itching for that, go for it!
After playing RC I looked into Mage Knight and it seems terrifying to learn surprise Have you been playing it long?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pit of Misery wrote:
Paprike wrote:

Right now I am playing Friday, another Crusoe game, and also One Deck Dungeon.

They are both pretty simple and they still take me a few hours sometimes.

Friday and One Deck Dungeon are really pegged as 30 minute games. There is nothing wrong with you taking a lot longer, but if you are taking 'hours' to play them you really will take many more to finish a game of this.

It's one of my favourite games; and flows very well once you understand the flow and managing of the game. However I'd say even the simplest turns in Robinson Crusoe are way more complex than either Friday or ODD

Just a warning!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard Scheuringer
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmb
I read the rulebook twice for the first game and the first game took us about 4 hours. But after we managed this hurdle which involves some effort it flows very smooth.

We only had to look sometimes in the rulebook for further games, and i appreciate this very much!
Playtime now is about 90 to 120 minutes.

For me for example "Descent 2nd Edition" is a much more complicated game, as there are so many fiddly rules which interact and the effect of combinating certain cards is often unclear, so we have to look it up or google it. And this fact didn't change also after many plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paprike wrote:
After playing RC I looked into Mage Knight and it seems terrifying to learn surprise Have you been playing it long?

Mage Knight isn't that hard to learn. There are very helpful playthroughs:

Ricky Royal teaches the basics very well:

Solo McLaughlins gives useful tips:

Catweazle's playthroughs are also very helpful:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
these are a lot of Mage Knight videos in a thread about Robinson Crusoe
But I agree, Robinson Crusoe is far from being the "most detailed and complicated board game", and really not that difficult to learn.
Since you already watched the How to Play video and are still unsure if it is something for you, the only way is to try it out I'm afraid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
서 보국
South Korea
flag msg tools
If you become familiar with game, it actually feel alot agricola stranded island game. What I mean to say is it actually not that hard and it have pretty streamlined gameplay.
You just think minimize your damage from short term object also care about your scenario object. Just like many euro game. Like agricola.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex D.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
To me, Robinson Crusoe plays unlike most other games i play. The fitting of gameplay, rules and theme is the most perfect fitting in all games i've ever played. That is why most rules details are mostly obvious. So don't bother with cmplexity. It is in deed as compelex as really being lost on an island, BUT if you were lost, you would start acting intuitively and that almost works also with this game (and is perfectly supported by the rules). Furthermore the turn order is printed on and supported by the board itself.

In the beginning, when i got stuck and did not know how to handle a situation "by rules", i just solved this by "how would it fit in the gameplay and situation" and that worked greatly. I then read about that situation in the rulebook afterwards - besides some minor details - i did it the right way "by nature".

Find the rules online and take a look at it. If you like games that tell stories, go for it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergei Chavo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robinsone Crusoe is a complex game, but new 40-pages rulebook consist answers for most possible questions. Now is a great time to buy the game, because of new rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Geek
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Sounds like the average person could learn this game easily enough, and it is a very intuitive and fun game to play.

My situation is a little different, I do have some cognitive disability which makes certain calculations very time consuming.

One Deck Dungeon takes me a long time to figure out where all the dice should go, and which skills to use, etc...

This game might be unplayable then in my case, but still not sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¿¿¿
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend, if it's possible, to pick up a second hand copy to try and at worst re-sell if that turns out to be the case. Good luck in either case, it sounds like you will only know by playing it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Geek
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I will definitely need to play this game in segments, because of the concentration involved.

I will probably set up and then tear down everything maybe a few times per scenario.

If this is feasible, I think I would enjoy the game. If it is unrealistic to do so, then maybe it won't work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I think in your other thread someone said the same thing, but "saving" your game would be possible (but a pain) by taking a picture and sorting things carefully into the box.

To be honest, a game of Robinson Crusoe only takes me a little longer than a game of One Deck Dungeon. Yes there are more components in Crusoe, but once you come up with a system to organize them you'll find that you don't actually use all that many in a single game. They're there to provide support for the multiple scenarios, multiple players, and for variety. If the game was just the base scenario for solitaire it wouldn't have many more components than One Deck Dungeon. The main difference between the two is that Crusoe has varying goals depending on the scenario and sometimes corresponding rule changes.

*edit* I reread this and realized that I'm downplaying the initial learning curve. The actual gameplay isn't significantly more complicated than One Deck Dungeon but learning the rules definitely is. Somewhere in the forums is a comic book-style guide that will be incredibly helpful for you to learn the game from.

Found it: Castaways Quick Start Guide to Robinson Crusoe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Geek
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Rococo_Zephyr wrote:
I think in your other thread someone said the same thing, but "saving" your game would be possible (but a pain) by taking a picture and sorting things carefully into the box.

To be honest, a game of Robinson Crusoe only takes me a little longer than a game of One Deck Dungeon. Yes there are more components in Crusoe, but once you come up with a system to organize them you'll find that you don't actually use all that many in a single game.
Found it: Castaways Quick Start Guide to Robinson Crusoe

I hope you're right about this, once I learn it won't be a mental hurdle.

One Deck Dungeon is very mentally exhausting because of the dice placement which is complicated.

Maybe the mechanics of this game aren't even as complicated as that, i guess maybe I'll find out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.