Subject: 2 Player inner track problem rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Rubin
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
All the games I've played with 2 players there has been a difficulty once one person jumps out ahead in the first-player inner track. I'm hesitant to suggest a variant, but perhaps resetting to ZERO at the beginning of the 7th month with the trailing person going first?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Albritton
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion, this is a great 4-5 player game. As a two player game, not so much.

When you have enough players going for the top of the order, the subtle lower order strategies begin to thrive.

The tension of when to give up top spot and go for lower order strats is lost in two player games because you just can't let someone run away with having first pick all the time.

If you insist on playing two player, you simply must keep up. The military parade action is good for that. Don't forget that all you have to do is tie on the person track to take back the lead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kubigaruma wrote:
If you insist on playing two player, you simply must keep up. The military parade action is good for that. Don't forget that all you have to do is tie on the person track to take back the lead.
This is the "fix" you're looking for. We play it two player and enjoy it, but this has to be part of your strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BibKamp318
Belgium
Beerse [near Turnhout]
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The battle for the inner track is the key challenge on the table with a number of options:
1. Both players go for the lead position: they both have to take the less efficient young characters and might lose time taking Military parade ta retake/keep the lead position.
2. One player gives in after a while with taking a strong elder character. This comes at a risk, but makes such future actions more efficient. This means you can use your joker cards more effectively as the other player has to spend them to compensate for the young characters.
Downside is that the other player can deny you such actions. In this case you need to plan ahead and be prepared for future vents - not the next one but the next next ones.
3. Going for elders immediately: this is not a good strategy as you leave the inner track wide open to the other player too soon so he can also take elders.

It is exactly this what makes te game shine with 2 players: how much effort do I put in the inner track...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Adriani
Italy
Calolziocorte (LC) - Ispra (VA)
Lombardia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I don't just enjoy life: I game-design it
mbmbmbmbmb
Kubigaruma wrote:
If you insist on playing two player, you simply must keep up. The military parade action is good for that. Don't forget that all you have to do is tie on the person track to take back the lead. This is the "fix" you're looking for.

And this is wisdom! Definitely agree!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Tibbetts
United States
Oak Lawn
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In a 2 player game, you simply MUST fight for turn order right out of the gate! Must you fight for it the entire game? NO! Knowing precisely when to give up the fight is also critical. But you must fight much harder and longer for it (in general) than you would with larger player counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.