11 Posts

Great Western Trail» Forums » Rules

Subject: A few questions after first play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Dexter
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
1. What are the negative teepee spots for? Why would somebody ever want to take one?

2. Can you/must you stop on the hazards?

3. Why is there a disc spot next to the station master cards? A worker is placed there, not a disc, right?

4. When an objective or station master card's tasks are completed are the things (such as hazards) used to complete them put aside or can they be used again for other things?

I'm sure some of these things are in the rule book, but it was a bit exhausting going through over and over about so many things. LOTS of icons in this game, ha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1 - You might need a particular color teepee for one of the objective cards.

2 - They count as a location.

3 - If you upgrade a station, you place a disk.

4 - No double-dipping. Each element is used for an objective once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. You might need one of a color to fulfill an objective... so you pay for it.

2. Hazards are simply locations along the trail. You move 3 (or 4 or 5 later on) and they count as "steps". But note they have hands and so you must pay a penalty to the bank for each you pass or land on.

3. Disc is placed on the circle (to free it from your card) when you pay the price to "upgrade" the station. WHEN and only WHEN you upgrade the station, then you can take the station master tile by assigning (placing) one of your hired workers there (losing their benefit on your card, but gaining the station master bonus)

4. Only assessed at the end of the game. You can only use an item to fulfill a requirement on a single objective card. However, station master bonuses are outside of that... so workers, teepees, objectives, etc. get recounted if you have those (only if you claimed it)

Now that you've played. Read the rulebook again cover to cover (as with any game). You'll understand 80% of it more and then pick up the other 20%.

savedbyhim01 wrote:
1. What are the negative teepee spots for? Why would somebody ever want to take one?

3. Why is there a disc spot next to the station master cards? A worker is placed there, not a disc, right?

4. When an objective or station master card's tasks are completed are the things (such as hazards) used to complete them put aside or can they be used again for other things?

I'm sure some of these things are in the rule book, but it was a bit exhausting going through over and over about so many things. LOTS of icons in this game, ha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And there are some really good game aids in the file section that condense the rulebook down. Normally, I make my own, but these are so good, that I didn't feel the need to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kanost
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
OH YEAH
mbmbmbmbmb
savedbyhim01 wrote:

1. Teepee tiles are used to claim end-game bonus scoring cards. Sets of them also power other bonuses on buildings and station tiles, so that's why you might pay to take one, especially if you need a specific color.

2. Hazards count as "stops" along the trail that use up your movement. If you run out of movement at a Hazard space, then yes, you must stop there.

3. The stations provide another place to upgrade your personal player board by removing discs and placing them there. Whenever you pull into a station, either going forward or in reverse, you may pay to place a disc there if you haven't already done so at that station. Then (and ONLY then, after you have placed a disc) you may claim that station tile by sending one of your workers to man the station.

4. The station tiles and the objective cards are counted separately, I beleive, and the same hazards and teepee tiles can count for each. But Each objective card does require a separate set; i.e. you cannot fulfill multiple objectives with the same tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Marema
United States
Ellisville
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
savedbyhim01 wrote:

While it's not ideal, there can be times when you REALLY need a teepee in order to meet an objective, so paying a few bucks makes it worth it.

savedbyhim01 wrote:

They don't keep you from moving, but they do cost you a movement point to go across them. Page 6 of the rulebook.

savedbyhim01 wrote:

When you go to that space, you pay the cost to place a disc there. In addition, once you have placed a disc there, you may ALSO place a worker there. Page 12 of the rulebook.

savedbyhim01 wrote:

Technically, you don't need to assign things to objectives until the end of the game. However, when you use anything to meet an objective's requirements, you CANNOT use it on another objective. Page 15 of the rulebook.

savedbyhim01 wrote:

Yeah, all those questions were in the rulebook. It's not the best organized rulebook, but it's actually extremely thorough.

EDIT: ninjaninjaninjaninja I don't know why I bothered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Valenso wrote:
EDIT: ninjaninjaninjaninja I don't know why I bothered.

You came to help, you stayed for the GG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Marema
United States
Ellisville
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha ha! Thanks, Jack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Dexter
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone. Yeah, I figured these things were in the rule book, but after like a 5 hour session I was hoping people could help out with a quick answer. Some things were hard to find. Thanks again to everyone who answered the questions so thoroughly and quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And another thing
savedbyhim01 wrote:
Thanks everyone. Yeah, I figured these things were in the rule book, but after like a 5 hour session I was hoping people could help out with a quick answer.
If you were playing for 5 hours make sure you weren't hiring workers from the row with the job market token...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Dexter
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
misteralan wrote:
savedbyhim01 wrote:
Thanks everyone. Yeah, I figured these things were in the rule book, but after like a 5 hour session I was hoping people could help out with a quick answer.
If you were playing for 5 hours make sure you weren't hiring workers from the row with the job market token...

We weren't. It wasn't quite that long of actual playing. Punching out items. Learning the rules. Setting up. Take down. All of it together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.