Hide
7 Posts

Terra Mystica» Forums » General

Subject: Terra Mystica Blitz rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Oedipussy Rex
msg tools
If a game of chess can be played in a minute, why can't a game of Terra Mystica be finished in thirty? -me

Well, besides the fact that the people I play with take five minutes to decide what they're going to do each turn, then when the next person starts to declare their action will change their mind, undo everything and take a different action. Rinse. Repeat. Sometimes two, three times a turn. Turn! Not round.

Anyhow.

In a month I'm going to being running a Terra Mystica Blitz at a local con.

Guideline for TM Blitz:

*Up to 4 players, base game only (maybe variable turn order), on the clock.

*Players each have a limited amount of time to take all their actions in the game, including choosing their faction and first dwellings

*30 seconds of Maintenance time to collect cult bonuses and cleanup
**Except for dig bonuses, which is on each player's time

*30 seconds Maintenance time for income

*It is the building player's responsibility to, in turn, let each other player know if they can leech, and how much.
**It's the leecher's responsibility to say "yes" or "no."
**If the leecher hesitates, the active player can call "time," vetoing the leecher's opportunity.
**If the leecher then immediately replies "time" then his clock starts running while he makes a decision, switching back to the active player afterwards.

*When a player has finished his turn, he declares "done," and announces the next player, at which point his clock stops and the next player's starts.

*"Pass" is not the end of a turn. When passing, the player is responsible for collecting any pass bonuses, returning and choosing a new bonus tile. Only then can he declare "done."

*Done is done. Once a player declares "done" there are no take-backs. If you chose the wrong favor, forgot to collect a favor, decided you built in the wrong spot, or whatever the case may be, tough. This is Blitz.

*Going over the time limit: Players who exceed the time limit are not eliminated from the game. Instead, they lose 1 vp for every 30 seconds they go over the limit. (Giving a 30 second buffer.)

And for that player (you know who you are),
*Shenanigans: A player can call "Shenanigans," switching to 30 seconds Maintenance time. The player then has the opportunity to air a grievance, such as another player calling "time" too quickly or not informing another player of a leeching opportunity.
**30 second extensions can be asked for by any party involved in the Shenanigan to continue the argument.
**At the end of the argument, non-Shenanigan players adjudicate a winner. The loser gets the time used for Shenanigans added to his play time at the end of the game.
**The non-Shenanigan players can waive the penalty.

Example of Shenanigans:
Mermaids build a Temple and doesn't tell Witches to cycle one power for the adjacent dwelling. During the Engineer's action, Witches notices this oversight and calls Shenanigans.
Witches: "He didn't tell me about the power cycle."
Mermaids: "I'm colorblind. I thought it was my dwelling."
Engineers: "That explains why you keep upgrading my buildings. Witches, cycle your power. Mermaids, pay closer attention; the terrain tiles look different. No time penalty. Restarting my time now."
--------------

I'm thinking 10 minutes per player. I'm also thinking that if this thing actually runs, the game will end in a 4-way tie at 0 points each after time penalties.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OedipussyRex wrote:
[i] I'm also thinking that if this thing actually runs, the game will end in a 4-way tie at 0 points each after time penalties.

If you think this is going to be the result then why are you pushing to make it happen.

I have played a 5 person game in about 2 hours without a lot of downtime. I imagine we could push it to make it happen in hour and a half, but I like Terra Mystica...why would I want o ruin it by rushing it.

Why not try your rules with only two people and see how it goes then modify to suit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
xorsyst xorsyst
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you should be able to do this without so many rules if the players are on board. For example, I declare I'm building somewhere. The other players must decide and claim leech by themselves while everyone else just gets on with the game. I guess it depends on your group.

Have you considered using an app to time it? Or even better, getting a dgt cube?

Finally - for the penalty I'd be harsher on going over. Something like 5 points for exceeding the time at all, then an additional 1 point for each 30 seconds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steinar Nerhus
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would join this if I could! Sounds intense and exiting.

Factions can be balanced by getting more/less time. Darklings get two minutes less, and Fakirs get two minutes more, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oedipussy Rex
msg tools
Wow, some replies. Ok, why do I think the end result will be a 0-point tie? I don't. It was an attempt at humor at the expense of a few players.

Why rush it? Why rush chess? To see how well you know the game and how quickly you can react.

Why so many rules? You've played with people who will try to make a small modification to a play they made two actions ago, but "won't make a difference in what you've already done." This is an attempt to get ahead of it, yet provide an outlet for player conflict resolution. It also provides incentive to pay attention. Something I myself am guilty of.

Have I considered an application? I thought I wrote that I had one, but I guess I deleted it. Yes, I'll be using a multiplayer game timer.

Harsher penalties? Well, that's part of why I posted this: to get feedback. That's something to consider.

All comments welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dániel Lányi
Hungary
Budapest
* -Not Applicable-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I read the thread title I thought it's going to be something like starting them game in the second or third round with some stuff that you could reasonably build in that time already set up. You could rebalance faction by bidding with buildings built or resources you start with and it would make a shorter game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

wallwaster wrote:
When I read the thread title I thought it's going to be something like starting them game in the second or third round with some stuff that you could reasonably build in that time already set up. You could rebalance faction by bidding with buildings built or resources you start with and it would make a shorter game.

whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.