Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Upgraded Scrying - Why? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So for 3 XP, you can add one intellect icon and a negative ability.

Am I reading this card wrong? it just seems crazy.

I get that Agnes can turn horror into damage for enemies, but surely there are better ways of doing it than this? (which is basically random, unless you spot 1 this turn, bury it, then look again next turn at which point you're using a whole action to take a damage, and aren't really doing that much scrying)

i'm sure I must be missing something, just can't figure out what.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Trumbo
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The upgraded Scrying doesn’t require an action to activate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Upgraded Scrying - Why? [resolved]
Trumboliscious wrote:
The upgraded Scrying doesn’t require an action to activate.

Doh!

I kept re-reading the text, completely missed the trigger.

THanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, since you can trigger it at the beginning of the Upkeep Phase, you can more efficiently tailor the Encounter Deck based on the status of the Investigators.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, if you're into scrying for your own deck or other investigators' decks, you often won't run into a problem with the negative effect barring a few weaknesses (which you'll know if you have in your deck).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
soakman wrote:
Also, if you're into scrying for your own deck or other investigators' decks, you often won't run into a problem with the negative effect barring a few weaknesses (which you'll know if you have in your deck).

And perhaps more subtly, you'll know you have them in your deck before you even decide to upgrade to Scrying (3).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jjdelanoche wrote:
soakman wrote:

And perhaps more subtly, you'll know you have them in your deck before you even decide to upgrade to Scrying (3).

Unless of course, you get one thrown into your deck due to terrible decisions and unknown horrors mid-way through a campaign. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Chris Miller
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a mostly solo gamer I would love this card but alas it's much better with more people.

Anyone have an opinion on this being worth anything for solo play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
coyotemoon722 wrote:
As a mostly solo gamer I would love this card but alas it's much better with more people.

Scrying, in general, is actually better for solo play because you only pull a single encounter card each turn so you are guaranteed to know what is coming up and stack the card in you favor.

The leveled up version? I'm not sure. I'm not experienced with solo play so I'm not sure how the free-triggered effect would be most beneficial there, except to note that it won't require use of one of your 3 precious actions (which is a pretty solid advantage right there).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Leafman
United States
flag msg tools
coyotemoon722 wrote:

I agree with you that Scrying is better in multiplayer than solo. Reassigning treacheries and monsters to the correct investigators can be pretty valuable, if you're lucky. Giving Daisy the treachery that deals horror and Roland the monster is good bit better than the other way around. Of course, you might spend resources on Scrying and discover the encounter cards were already in the right order, or they were stuff like Ancient Evils where it doesn't really matter who draws it.

Even in multiplayer, where Scrying is at its least bad, I think Mystics have much better things to do with their actions (or XP). But it's not totally worthless.

I am not at all a fan of solo Scrying. Reordering 3 cards of the encounter deck is a really minimal benefit when you will likely have to draw all those cards anyway. Spending concrete resources to kick the can down the road is not so good. And make no mistake, Scrying is quite expensive; the level 0 version is extremely action-intensive, and the upgraded version is quite a lot of precious XP. If you spend those resources on cards that actually help advance the Act deck, you'll finish faster and draw fewer encounter cards, which is much better. The existence of the Surge mechanic really cuts into Scrying's efficiency, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Waffler
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
I disagree, I think Scrying is at it's best in True Solo. For one action, you get to know EXACTLY what is going to happen to you for the next 3 turns, that is easily a bargain worth making. So one scrying can help you know EXACTLY... EXACTLY how the encounter deck will behave for 9 turns of the game, that is huge. And AND, let you manipulate those 9 turns so they come in the order that you can handle.

I put 2 copies of this in as many of my solo decks as I can. And it has saved me so many times I can't count. It makes planning your 3 actions for the turn so much safer and easier, so you can plan to handle whatever is coming at you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
monorico wrote:
I disagree, I think Scrying is at it's best in True Solo. For one action, you get to know EXACTLY what is going to happen to you for the next 3 turns, that is easily a bargain worth making. So one scrying can help you know EXACTLY... EXACTLY how the encounter deck will behave for 9 turns of the game, that is huge. And AND, let you manipulate those 9 turns so they come in the order that you can handle.

I put 2 copies of this in as many of my solo decks as I can. And it has saved me so many times I can't count. It makes planning your 3 actions for the turn so much safer and easier, so you can plan to handle whatever is coming at you.

I agree with this completely. Knowing what is coming from the encounter deck is a huge advantage, never mind being able to reorder. It allows you to make informed decisions on how to spend your next 8-9 actions (depending on whether Scrying is upgraded or not). In multiplayer, it's garbage mostly, since it only let's you plan for 75% of a round (in 4 player, for example). Scrying isn't about avoiding cards, it's about planning for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Leafman
United States
flag msg tools
monorico wrote:

This is not the price of Scrying (at least, not the level 0 version.) The price is 1 action and 1 resource to put it into play, then another action each time you use it. That's 2/3rds of a turn just to look at and reorder the top 3 cards of the encounter deck once. The XP version is a bit less horribly action inefficient, but it's a ton of XP.

It works much better, in my opinion, not to worry about exactly what the encounter cards are going to be, and instead invest your actions and resources into advancing the Act Deck as quickly as possible. Every action you spend playing and activating Scrying instead of doing things that actually win the game makes you slower and less flexible, and means you draw more encounter cards in the long run, not fewer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Waffler
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Have you ever played with Scrying? You can quote all the math about the card, but everytime I have played it. It has saved me in one player. I love drawing the card, and I play it everytime. And it always helps me, never had a bad game when I can control the encounter deck for 9 turns.

here is some math for you though:

Scrying has 3 charges that allow you to reorder the top 3 cards. Which means that for 9 turns you know exactly what the encounter deck will bring AND can reorder it so that you can better deal with it.

9 turns is 3 actions per turn, which means that is 27 actions.
It takes an action to play the card, and 1 action per use. So that is 4 actions, plus 1 resource... which I will generously say is equal to an action (even though it isn't even close to the worth of an action).
So it takes 5 actions to utilize scrying.

So that leaves 22 actions where you know EXACTLY how to play your turn, no second guessing if you need to play that weapon or not, nor if you need to save that card, nor if you have to go to that location. You know EXACTLY what you need to do, and how to plan your turn efficiently.
You can set up ambushes, hiding spots, etc.

So yes, I give up 5 actions, so I can have 22 actions that are optimized. I know if I shouldn't waste resources on a item if Corrosion is coming up, or to end up on a low shroud location. I know if obscuring fog is coming up, I shouldn't be on a location I want to investigate. And tons more uses for playing encounter deck.

Some of those enemies or encounter cards can eat up a whole turn if they come up at the wrong time, or in the wrong order, and this allows you to fix and edit that.
Just an amazing card.

I agree with where you are coming from. If I spend those 5 actions to use scrying it is like I am losing 1 and a half turns. And therefore drawing an "extra" encounter card, because I wasted a "whole" turn worth of actions using it.

But honestly, the amount of times it has saved me from an encounter card wasting my whole turn having to deal with it... (enemy at the wrong time, wasting good cards on a skill check, etc) it easily pays for itself. And the fact that I know exactly what I should do on my turn, I don't have to waste actions or resources playing cards I don't really need to play yet. Well worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.