Subject: Cmon just gave us another tribe rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eðvarð Hilmarsson
Iceland
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
flag msg tools
Cthulhu whispers to me when I sleep......
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The model count in the base pledge has gone up to 102 mini´s (assuming Worm gets funded).

Apparently sales in China as well as a healthy kickstarter campaign have put this game in a good place.

The new tribe was planned a an optional buy and given the already high price of an all in buy, I´m happy its not. This is a very cool move from Cmon.

With so many mini´s and since you only need 11 of them to have an army my wife and my girls can each paint their own tribe with plenty left if I really want to paint more.

I´m going with 2 pimped out boards (hills, trees and huts) but this gesture might tempt me to get the art book (since I was expecting a 25$ final min hike).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Babb
United States
Springdale
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They have almost 2,000 people backing without pledging.

I'm -assuming- those are almost entirely $1 pledgers who want to make sure they get in later, but are trying to budget wisely*. CMoN is probably trying to further entice them, and any late pledgers, to fully back the game later on by throwing in another tribe. Because if just half the 2000 non-pledgers become pledgers later, CMoN makes another $120k. Without having to give KS a cut. Realistically though, CMoN will probably take in closer to $300k between $1 backers upgrading, people getting late pledges, add-ons, etc. Maybe more.

$1.6mil may not be a huge success, but hopefully CMoN will be pleased enough to stay in business (and wise up enough to realize they need to emphasize stronger game play from here on out).

(*here's the thing: $1 pledges mean I can back a project, pay for it later, and still get the stuff without using up -my- cash/credit in the mean time. Great for the consumer. However, if the project has problems between now and the PM, or enough SGs aren't unlocked, or money is tight, I may decide to write off my $1 as a loss. The creators have incentive to keep their post-KS campaign going strong. This too is good for the consumer... at least until the PM closes and the creator can get stop communicating.

Point being, expect the near future to either have KS projects with lots of $1 pledges and free SGs, or -no- $1 pledges and a traditional project, or $1 pledges and threats of higher prices for late backers in the PM.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Guimarães
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't get a lot of people saying this is a failure. Outside their triple-A games (Zombicide, Rising Sun...) it's on par with every funding game of CMON. Game of thrones, SMOG, Rum & Bones, Arcadia quest inferno, all did between 1 to 1.7 millions. If HATE had XenoShyft levels of funding, ok that's a failure, but 1.3 is good i think.
(I'm not saying San Dee Jota said it's a failure, but i saw this comment in other places)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eduguima wrote:
I don't get a lot of people saying this is a failure. Outside their triple-A games (Zombicide, Rising Sun...) it's on par with every funding game of CMON. Game of thrones, SMOG, Rum & Bones, Arcadia quest inferno, all did between 1 to 1.7 millions. If HATE had XenoShyft levels of funding, ok that's a failure, but 1.3 is good i think.
(I'm not saying San Dee Jota said it's a failure, but i saw this comment in other places)

Considering the KSer exclusivity, I'm almost certain that this WAY underperformed in their eyes. Maybe not "failure" level, but big disappointment for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Guimarães
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, disappointment maybe, i don't know what was their expectations. But if they expected much more with this theme, they were way out of their heads...

But back on topic. Another tribe, yayyy
They are really giving a lot now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Ocampo
Germany
Lemgo
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
I'm one of those 1$ pledger and i'm planning to go in later.
Core: 120$
Vore Nash: +25$
Art Book: +25$
Maybe the Mother Prophecy & Um'Tull and a battleground, but i'm still not sure.

I think, many people think that way. We cant see how much they really make after the KS, but it'll be ok.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
Considering the KSer exclusivity, I'm almost certain that this WAY underperformed in their eyes. Maybe not "failure" level, but big disappointment for sure.

Funny!
My view is the exact opposite:

I think CMoN is now regretting making the game exclusive, since there clearly is a marked for this type of game.
It is a niche game - primarily 1 vs. 1 with a mature theme. Yet it has managed to become one of the 50 most funded games on Kickstarter, and is among the better half of all the projects done by CMoN.

While exclusive add-ons are usually gobbled up, very few project creators have tried making their full game exclusive. I do not believe there is enough data to support the idea that a fully Kickstarter exclusive project is necessarily a multi million dollar success.
I could certainly come up with several reasons to make exclusivity a negative, in this hobby.
Besides, most CMoN projects have so many exclusives anyway, many people will end up either getting their games from Kickstarter or never buy into them at all. Effectively making them Kickstarter exclusives.
I personally avoid games that have been crowdfunded, when I stroll around my local game store.

But in the end I guess we all see what we want to see.
People who like the theme are going to look at the game from a positive angle, while those who despise the vision are going to come at it from a negative angle...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Retailers would probably have been hesitant to carry a game like this, but I guess we will never know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eðvarð Hilmarsson
Iceland
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
According to Monolith (who made Conan), then retail has next to no payoff for mini heavy games. The profit margins are just not there to justify these types of games.

Gotham City Chronicles will be kickstarter exlusive for this reason. That being said then Cmon has reported that they are happy with retail pledges (these are not counted in the tyrant pledge since its a 100$ deposit for up to 12 copies) and the chinese market (they called that funds outside the campaign proper) are also bringing in more money.

Cmon say they are happy how this niche game has done and I do not have much of a reason to doubt them. According to Monolith then a mini heavy game where the retailer and developer both make money off would cost the consumer 250$ for the base box so that approach is not sustainable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frankie
United States
chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Edvard, thanks for your updates on the game, I was in from day one and all in at the end. Please don't skip the art book, especially for a game inspired by art. You always see people lamenting not getting them in other kickstarters, it will never be available again, and you will pay with blood to get one on ebay later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WORELOF PENDRAGON
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pics or it never happened

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
North_Wolf wrote:
Cmon say they are happy how this niche game has done and I do not have much of a reason to doubt them. According to Monolith then a mini heavy game where the retailer and developer both make money off would cost the consumer 250$ for the base box so that approach is not sustainable.

Gloomhaven, 7th Continent, Cthulhu Wars, and KDM ran "second printing" KS for a second print run, and, imo, this is nothing but a good thing. The traditional retailer-distributor system does not support "boutique" games, but KS has shown that gamers want and will purchase such games. It's certainly not KS fault that the traditional retailer-distributor model cannot support these gamers, and KS fills this demand.

While I did not back HATE, I did back SMOG: Rise of Moloch, which also had a fair amount of KSE, and was a moderately niche game, in the area of steampunk. I backed it for the miniatures, which were based on the metal 54mm Smart Max miniatures, originally sold for $15+ each. CMON also ran an even less funded project, miniature bases based on those by Micro Arts, a Polish hobby miniatures company. HATE may be pushing the limits of a niche game, but I'm glad CMON is at least trying to offer a game that over 8K of gamers want to play -- or at least use for their Warhammer Chaos armies!

And, with the mention of the Chinese market, perhaps KS is somehow helping CMON reach this new market when the traditional retailer-distributor model does not. I sure wouldn't mind seeing a Three Kingdoms miniatures game, based on the history of China. As I understand it, this theme has long been part of Chinese games, yet is almost unheard of in Western miniature and boardgames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eðvarð Hilmarsson
Iceland
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fiveangels wrote:
Edvard, thanks for your updates on the game, I was in from day one and all in at the end. Please don't skip the art book, especially for a game inspired by art. You always see people lamenting not getting them in other kickstarters, it will never be available again, and you will pay with blood to get one on ebay later.

Thanks, I´m glad it was of some use.

I think you are right about the book, if anything its a very impressive way to help newcomers pick the tribe they want for the campaign. It wont feel complete without it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
North_Wolf wrote:
Cmon say they are happy how this niche game has done and I do not have much of a reason to doubt them.

Like they would tell us if it underperformed?
What incentive does a company have to say "man, we expected twice this"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eðvarð Hilmarsson
Iceland
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boardgamesdotEXE wrote:
North_Wolf wrote:
Cmon say they are happy how this niche game has done and I do not have much of a reason to doubt them.

Twice this would be 3 million

They said it was a hard campaign and they said they where pleased. I think they went into it nervous and I think they pulled it off.

Its not like they are a publicly traded company that needs to calm shareholders, they put Adrian Smiths vision out there and found an audience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
North_Wolf wrote:
boardgamesdotEXE wrote:
North_Wolf wrote:

They said it was a hard campaign and they said they where pleased. I think they went into it nervous and I think they pulled it off.

Its not like they are a publicly traded company that needs to calm shareholders, they put Adrian Smiths vision out there and found an audience.

Um....yes they are publicly traded and they need to appease shareholders.
They might not be on the US stock market but they are traded publicly on the Hong Kong stock exchange.

http://darcnews.com/is-there-strength-behind-the-numbers-for...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eðvarð Hilmarsson
Iceland
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghool wrote:
North_Wolf wrote:
boardgamesdotEXE wrote:
North_Wolf wrote:

Um....yes they are publicly traded and they need to appease shareholders.
They might not be on the US stock market but they are traded publicly on the Hong Kong stock exchange.

http://darcnews.com/is-there-strength-behind-the-numbers-for...

I had no idea they did this, but you are right, on December 2nd 2016 they put up some shares.

The cool thing about that is that we get a TON of behind the scenes information.

http://gem.ednews.hk/listedco/listconews/GEM/2016/1125/GLN20...

It seems that two share holders are meant to control the direction of the company (with one of them speaking for both).

Lots of interesting financial information about earlier kickstarters in there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.