Eldritch Horror» Forums » General

Subject: I suddenly can't beat this game... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marko Vujnovic
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I may have forgotten how to play Eldritch Horror. Or maybe I just have a lot of bad luck. Either way, four games in a row now I've lost so miserably it's not even funny... But, some background first.

My wife and I have been playing Eldritch Horror since it first came out. Overall, it is likely the most played boardgame in our house. In recent year or two we kinda slowed down on playing it, probably due to getting into LCGs and the like. So we finally decided to get all the expansions we were missing (pyramids, carcossa and cities in ruin) just as Masks of Nyarlathotep was announced. Which we promptly did. First adding Carcossa seemed fine, then Pyramids, also more or less as expected... a couple months pause before we added Cities in Ruin and now trying it we just can't seem to get anywhere, barely starting a second Mystery.

Our usual win rate was likely around 50%, perhaps slightly lower, but in most of our losses the win used to seem at least somewhat within reach. Also, I would like to think we know how to strategize correctly. It might be that a lot of new characters at once made us build sub-optimal teams (we play with two characters each) as we experimented, but I think we always had Daisy for clue spawning and one character that was good at getting equipment (Jenny Barnes is my favorite).

Disasters in particular seem brutal. With four characters, it seems inevitable that at least someone is going to bite it when a city goes down during any given game. Our last game, two of four characters spent practically the entire game recovering from extreme damage/sanity loss (not only from disasters - mythos would also hit us hard, and failing at investigations seems a LOT more punishing than I remember it to be). Both ended up dying without actually getting anything significant done. Now I know that this is not a game you can expect to win most of the time. And I know chance plays a large part of it. But it was never as brutal as we're seeing it now... It's getting frustrating to the point I'm considering playing it on easy mode, which after years of experience seems almost insulting. To make things worse, Shudde M'ell seems to be regarded as one of the easier Ancient Ones!

Does anyone else have experience with full set of expansions seeming to ramp up difficulty significantly? Am I just on a horrible bad luck roll? Is it just accepted that for the first two months in a year one shouldn't play Eldritch Horror because the stars align in a bad way?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Long
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you using focus tokens?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marko Vujnovic
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I am, yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Peterson
United States
Cane Ridge
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait. You mean Eldritch Horror is beatable?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hughes
Australia
Camden
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just did an A to Challenge facing off against the 14 currently available AO's and ended with 6 wins from 14 (42%) this was after a break of playing of about six months and I found the first few games I was focusing more on getting back into the game and enjoying new sideboards (Dreamlands was played for first time) and game effects (Cities in Ruins) than focusing on what I should be doing (Mysteries!).

It sounds as though you have added a lot more content over a shorter space of time than I did and maybe it would be worth dropping out the Cities of Ruins cards for a few games, personally it has not been my favorite Expansion but I don't like to back down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes its better to let an investigator just die off if they're crippled (particularly with any impairments). You take 1 doom (potentially getting it back) but you get back lots of actions where they can actually prevent doom (such as closing gates).

When I play, I try to not rest unless I can clear at least 2 negative status and recover 1 health and 1 sanity. When I played with my friends, a lot of them rested just to recover 1 sanity and remove 1 status, always seemed inefficient to me. It's like saying you're going to buy, but not use all of your influence/successes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Griffin
United States
Thibodaux
LA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This happened to me a few months ago. All I was using is base and Forsaken Lore. I just could not get a win. Yog smoked me inside of 9 rounds, Yig kicked me when I was down and then I lost to Shub. I finally got a win when I replayed Yog! After that I put in down for a bit lol. Those Mythos cards get way more brutal with some expansions. It is all in the fun though. If i could win every time I wouldn't play! It will get back to my table in a few weeks for some more self inflicted pain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alister Trafford
Canada
Surrey
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dawngreeter wrote:
Does anyone else have experience with full set of expansions seeming to ramp up difficulty significantly?

Hard for me to answer as I'm a bit behind on the expansions as you where. Though If I was to start back up again I would likely only purchase 1 expansion at a time & give myself a few months to get used to the new game elements being thrown at me. Since it seems to be just you & the wife decide for yourselves whether you include "Cities in Ruin" in your games for now; or play with it & short your red tentacle Mythos cards. Also try not to be to taken with the next hotness in investigators perhaps use a mixture of what you know as well.

Dawngreeter wrote:
Am I just on a horrible bad luck roll?

Could be; but sitting down you & the wife could figure this out. Having half your investigators down sounds pretty bad to me; but what lead up to this? Where each of the said investigators in the spots they needed to be or could they have been doing it in another city? where the dice gods indeed not in your favor or perhaps a bad shuffle of the mythos deck. I think if you honestly look over your last games and call bad luck for what it is & call questionable decisions for what it is. should lead you to where the plan may not have worked out to well.

Dawngreeter wrote:
The first two months in a year one shouldn't play Eldritch Horror because the stars align in a bad way?

goo The Outer Gods are equal opportunists every month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My Fakename
msg tools
It's easy to manage:

just remove all hard mythos cards (the tentacle ones). it should get better, but still be hard enough.

(or only put in a one of them in each the green, blue and yellow stack when building the deck.)

btw, our win/lose rate is 50:50 still.

Also if you're not already doing this, just use 4 investigators not just 2 when playing a game. Statistics says it's an easier game:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZdxFQZu-5jT9zyTRuE0J...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dostojewski wrote:
Also if you're not already doing this, just use 4 investigators not just 2 when playing a game. Statistics says it's an easier game:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZdxFQZu-5jT9zyTRuE0J...

I like perusing those stats, and occasionally contribute. They are skewed by selection bias and non-random investigators, but still, fun stuff.

I'm in the middle of a terrible run myself. I'm banging away at Cities in Ruin (Apocalypse Nigh prelude), and have had the craziest set of results. Four games, all lost, 3 with 3 mysteries solved. In those, Shudde M'ell woke up and couldn't be killed (2p games are especially brutal for Epic Monsters if you play with random investigators, plus Shudde is slowly killing everyone so you sometimes get a new guy too far away to help at all).

In the other one, I actually came the closest, but could not solve Exploring G'harne. Starting turn 7 (!), I went through six of the special encounter cards, had one test with 7 dice, a couple with 4, the others 2-3 (including Focus), and failed every roll. Every. Roll. I had other successful tests in between, but in the G'harne tests I think I rolled 22 dice overall, all failures. goo

Pretty fun, but I'm ready to win this one and move on. Once more into the breach tonight!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.