Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Please check out my other reviews at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/145695/item/2728438#it...

Conclusion:

Get Adler! is a very good addition to the social deduction category of games. With this one, you don't get just a social deduction game, but also a deduction game. Let me explain.

The deduction part of the game is trying to answer questions about the physical appearance of the characters to try and narrow down who Adler is. Everyone must tell the truth, except for Adler who can lie. You also watch who is discarding what cards when they are trying to get their hand to the perfect setting to strike. This part of the game that usually last the first few rounds and is really a cat and mouse game to root out that dirty Adler.

Then, when the timing is right, people will start to arrest Adler and see if they can catch him. The card play is a little luck based, but you need to watch what people are discarding and watch what you need to keep and what you can get rid of. Adler really needs to be sneaky and plan his escape.

The game can be played with as little as 4, but the game can play up to 8. As more characters are added, more little wrinkles are added to the game. In addition, there are special powers you can assign to some of the characters to add even more wrinkles.

We had a lot of fun playing this game. It is attempting to move the social deduction game from just a redundant genre to something a little bit more. I think it succeeds at that. While social deduction is about half the game, I feel there is a little bit more. Someone who doesn't like social deduction games, may find this one bearable as hand management is so important and the "guessing" game of what your opponents will do.

The negative part of the game is when Adler is being arrested, if someone just plays a card and he can't combat then he loses. It can be abrupt and a little anti-climatic. Yet, that is what Adler is trying to do. Does he try to get a little bit of everything to protect himself, or go heavy with guns and hope to win a shoot out? It is up to him. Although, you can only play the strategy with the cards that are dealt to you. I find this more interesting than frustrating, but others may not like this loss of control.

It is amazing how much game and laughter is packed in a little game like this. The game is very easy to travel with and can be easily played at holiday functions. Once you play a single game, the rest of the games you play are just that much more fun. I highly recommend this game.

Keeper.

Components:

The components are pretty good. I like the art style in the game. It is very subtle. The player aids are very user friendly with the qualities of the characters you are playing with a list of cards on the back. Excellent! The card quality is good, but you may want to sleeve the 8 characters just so to be 100% sure of any markings on them. The box is a tad larger than it needs to be to fit in the player aids.

Rule Book:

The rules are very clear. This is a very easy game to play. It takes lighter gamers a little while to figure out all the cards and how they work. I normally keep the rules open to the "cheat sheet" page and refer to it until it is in my head. You can read the rules and be playing in about 5 minutes.

Flow of the Game:

There are two sides to this game with different win conditions:

1. Adler - wins by lasting 7 rounds and ending the game with a docket or eliminate the rest of the players

2. The Heroes - last 7 rounds and Adler does not have the docket or arrest Adler

Each player starts the game with 7 cards. On a turn, you draw a card and play a card.

Communication - You are not allowed to discuss cards or accuse people openly (unless you play an arrest card).

For the first three rounds, you are not allowed to attempt an arrest. This gives Adler room to maneuver.

There are cards that let you see a player's hand (this is information) or swap cards with someone, etc. The main game is when you try to arrest Adler. If it is not Adler, then your turn is done. If it is Adler, then Adler has a few things he can do depending on which card he plays. He can escape by bike, car, trolley, etc and is successful unless a card is played that matches his. If a match is played, then Adler may play another card.

Adler may also use a weapon. He can drop a bomb that makes everyone lose a turn (this is valuable time for Adler!). He can wear a disguise and run away. Or, he may shoot a gun which must be answered with another gun back and forth until Adler is caught or dies.

The trick to the game is Adler is trying to survive and draw heat to other players, but also prepare for someone to try and arrest him. The other players are trying to figure out who Adler is (normally by playing a question mark card asking questions). Once Adler is found, then the game is afoot to catch the spy!

Should I buy this game?:

This is a general party game that can be played by most people. Gamers will like the deduction and social deduction part. The game offers a lot. Non gamers and families can play the game alike. It is a huge bonus that there are extra wrinkles you can add as you become more accustomed to the rule set. I would highly recommending you checking this one out.

Keeper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just bought this and was already thinking of trading it but now you are giving me second thoughts. It seemed like it would almost auto-play itself out but I haven’t tested it with others yet so maybe that isn’t true. I am not sure it’s any better than something like Saboteur which I also own...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Barringer
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I'm a fan of this one, too. It's a blast every time we play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bholmes4 wrote:
Just bought this and was already thinking of trading it but now you are giving me second thoughts. It seemed like it would almost auto-play itself out but I haven’t tested it with others yet so maybe that isn’t true. I am not sure it’s any better than something like Saboteur which I also own...

The hand management side is something that takes a few plays to get good at. Your strategy won't always work and if you play with the same group you will want to mix it up. The hand management gives this game legs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.