17 Posts

Twilight Imperium (Fourth Edition)» Forums » Variants

Subject: New way to pick a race rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darth Batman
msg tools
So, there are 17 races.
I was thinking of doing a draft system like how league of legends does it. Each player starting from speak picks a race to remove from the game. (This can happen twice if it is not a 6 player game.) After that, draw 3, pick one, return the rest as normal.

What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Threadgill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After removing 6 races, you only have 11 left. Not even enough for everyone to draw 2.

Do you mean for each player in turn to draw 3, pick 1, then return the rest to the pool for the next player to draw?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avery Bailey
United States
Kansas City
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like eliminating races from the game, where by choice or randomly. The Jol-Nar are in every game I've played. It would be nice to see the table's interaction with Tech when not driven by the Fishies. Let's get the Yin in some games. Let's get the Winnu played.

We usually deal 2 to everyone and chose which takes 5 randomly out of the game. But the race selection can be very samey, and I play with 3 different groups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Batman
msg tools
hooliganj wrote:
After removing 6 races, you only have 11 left. Not even enough for everyone to draw 2.

Do you mean for each player in turn to draw 3, pick 1, then return the rest to the pool for the next player to draw?

Yes, they would return the remaining races.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Batman
msg tools
Avemo3 wrote:
I really like eliminating races from the game, where by choice or randomly. The Jol-Nar are in every game I've played. It would be nice to see the table's interaction with Tech when not driven by the Fishies. Let's get the Yin in some games. Let's get the Winnu played.

We usually deal 2 to everyone and chose which takes 5 randomly out of the game. But the race selection can be very samey, and I play with 3 different groups.

It gives the option to remove broken races as well as the underpowered. No one wants embers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avery Bailey
United States
Kansas City
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd rather see a game with Muaat, Yin, Winnu, and Saar than another game with Jol-Nar, Hacan, Xxcha, and Sol. I realize that these are the suggested start races, but it feels like 3 of the four are in every game I play.

Also, I'd rather be Muaat than get stuck with Barony and Sardakk again. (They have been my race selection options in 3 of my last 4 games. crazy odds on that one)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Schutte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone secretly writes down a race, reveal. Any duplicated races are now banned, those players pick a new race from what is left. Everyone else is locked on the race they got, these are not available anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becky Rose
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about:

Races are shuffled and speaker takes the top two. Keeps one and passes the other on to the next player who draws the next race from the top of the deck so they also have two races to consider, and pass one on. Rinse repeat?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jone Oma
Norway
flag msg tools
DarthBatman47 wrote:
So, there are 17 races.
I was thinking of doing a draft system like how league of legends does it. Each player starting from speak picks a race to remove from the game. (This can happen twice if it is not a 6 player game.) After that, draw 3, pick one, return the rest as normal.

What do you think?

This sounds kind of fun! Banning, or to put it in other terms, having restrictions forces you to be more creative. And in some cases, it could open up different ways of playing the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Batman
msg tools
BeckyRose wrote:
How about:

Races are shuffled and speaker takes the top two. Keeps one and passes the other on to the next player who draws the next race from the top of the deck so they also have two races to consider, and pass one on. Rinse repeat?

But this removed the ban aspect. Kind of ruins what I am trying to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Batman
msg tools
Crikrunner wrote:
Everyone secretly writes down a race, reveal. Any duplicated races are now banned, those players pick a new race from what is left. Everyone else is locked on the race they got, these are not available anymore.

If we do it that way, at best only 2 races will be banned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BeckyRose wrote:
How about:

That method gives a significant advantage to the earlier players (since the later players are like to get passed a poor race)

If you want to do it, I'd suggest going in reverse order so the speaker picks last.

But in general, it seems more fair to just have each player draw two races.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Batman
msg tools
neigutten wrote:

This sounds kind of fun! Banning, or to put it in other terms, having restrictions forces you to be more creative. And in some cases, it could open up different ways of playing the game.

Yes, banning forces players to try new races aside from the over powered ones. Ti4 objectives are resource and tech heavy, so jol-nor too strong. And turtles being able to turtle is... yea. You get the point. Why not try tribes? Or something else? This kind of forces it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Batman
msg tools
Dulkal wrote:

That method gives a significant advantage to the earlier players (since the later players are like to get passed a poor race)

If you want to do it, I'd suggest going in reverse order so the speaker picks last.

But in general, it seems more fair to just have each player draw two races.

It still defeats the banning process which I am trying to keep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arnold
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a huge fan of varying how the group selects races. As the game is still so new to my group, I haven't given up on just letting people choose. That being said, I adore allowing each player to remove a race and then getting to choose out of the remaining pool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Narducci
msg tools
My new system is that everyone rolls a die.

Draft order is based on how the rolls went.

The person who rolled the highest has two options.

He can either draft first but go last at the table

Or he can go first at the table but draft last.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Batman
msg tools
Djnardu wrote:
My new system is that everyone rolls a die.

Draft order is based on how the rolls went.

The person who rolled the highest has two options.

He can either draft first but go last at the table

Or he can go first at the table but draft last.

I am confused how this is at all beneficial to the first... Or last player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.