Hide
4 Posts

Scythe» Forums » General

Subject: Two Player: choice of factions for humans and automa rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Ma
msg tools
Just played my first two-player game of Scythe last night, and while the engine building was fun, my partner and I did miss the interaction and tension of area control/cold war in a 4-player game.

The two human players were Crimea and Polania, while we put an easy automa on Rusviet. We barely interacted with each other, or the automa (which was surprising!). Think we had one battle the entire game.

To be clear—I know Scythe is not about the battles. But we did miss that cold-war tension feeling we got from the 4 player games we played. So I was wondering if we can choose a different combination of starting factions to make it more interactive, do you guys have any experiences and suggestions in this area?

My initial thought was having the two human players right next to each other would encourage interaction, but this left the question of where to put the automa. Having it either side would be unfair to the player closer to the automa, but having it further away would limit interaction.

So my second thought was that the two human players could sandwich the automa in between? But this might encourage the human players to expand outwards towards the empty faction peninsulas instead of towards each other. Maybe we could just zone off the unused faction peninsulas to force everyone to go towards the middle.

Any thoughts? Do you guys have any preferences when playing 2 players + automa? Or have you tried any variants which helped increase interaction (e.g. zoning off the other peninsulas?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MICHAEL
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Use multiple automa. The decks are cheap. The apps are free or nearly free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Count of Tuscany
Netherlands
flag msg tools
If you want more tension/aggresion, you might consider being more gready in grabbing terrain and the factory. You can get a terrific amount of gold when scoring terrain held under your control.

Combat in a 2 player game can be risky. Wasting to much power in a fight can result in immediate retaliation soon after.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Coman
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, use 2 Automa, and use normal level, not Autometta. I've never played a non-interactive game vs Automa. It normally spreads across the board like a virus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.