Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game – Return to the Night of the Zealot» Forums » General

Subject: New player question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Fitzgerald
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Since this is an expansion to the original campaign is this the best starting place for a player after the core game?

In other words is it best to get core game and Return to the Night of the Zealot, or core game + dunwich or carcossa?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No one can say with any confidence, until its been released!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's likely to be some sort of upping the level of difficulty for the introductory scenarios, similar to the LotR LCG Nightmare decks. You'll probably want to have a larger card pool than not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philippe Van Langenhove
msg tools
While I quite like the idea of this expansion, if you are just starting out and don't want to immediately go all in, I would purchase in the following order:

1a) Core (Obviously, otherwise you can't play).
1b) Second Core. Not everybody finds this necessary, I do. If deckbuilding is an important aspect of the game for you, you need full play sets of cards. If you're not too fussed about deckbuilding (you're mostly just in it for the story f.e.) and don't plan to play more than 2 player, you can skip this.
2) Dunwhich Legacy + Cycle
3) Carcossa + Cycle
4) Forgotten Age + Cycle (when its out)
4) Night of the zealot
5) Print on demand scenarios (Highly skip-able unless you are a completist)
6) Tie-in novellas with alternate versions of investigators (Highly skip-able unless you are a completist)

I would also very highly recommend buying a nice drawstring bag to use as a chaos bag and some 26mm coin cases to put the chaos tokens into. Neither are particularly expensive and it really upgrades the tactile feel of the chaos bag mechanic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasmeer Sangha
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What about the stand alone scenarios? I think there's a carnival and like a werewolf one or something? Or are those part of campaigns too.. sorry about my naivety to the system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JSangha wrote:
What about the stand alone scenarios? I think there's a carnival and like a werewolf one or something? Or are those part of campaigns too.. sorry about my naivety to the system.

Standalone scenarios released so far are Curse of the Rougarou (werewolf) and Carnival of Horrors. A 3rd standalone scenario called Labyrinths of Lunacy is upcoming, although some people got to play it at GenCon or some other event.
Standalone scenarios are also referred to as "Print on Demand" or POD scenarios because they're printed in-house by FFG so the quality of the cards is different from the other releases.
They are not part of campaigns, although you can play them during another campaign if you like.

By the way, I would put standalone scenarios higher on the list of what to buy. I only played Rougarou but it was great to play as a one-off with someone who wanted to try the game but didn't want to commit to an entire campaign. My suggestion would be to buy Rougarou and Carnival before getting Return to Night of the Zealot (which I assume will be similar to LotR Nightmare decks).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Kaylor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It should also be noted that the labyrinth is not a POD, nor can it be played in another campaign. It is a true stand-alone scenario with it's own rules, gameplay changes, and other things. It does not come with any player cards, but also is of higher quality than the PODs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.