Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Pustilnik
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robininni wrote:
This makes Watergate look like a toddler poop accident. The more that comes out in these memos the more we see true treasonous corruption orchestrated from the Obama administration, it's FBI and DOJ appointees,the DNC and Hillary. Time to clean house and send these people to prison or worse. Is the liberal RSP mass starting to open its collective eyes with these revelations? I certainly hope so. I know this shatters your world view, but surely you can't still some how maintain rectal-cranial-inversion and worship Hillary and Obama ilk? Not after all this, right?

I think a link is missing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neon Joe, Werewolf He-yump
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb

Edit: Just to be clear, that's for Mr. "Bullshit memo totally vindicates Cheeto Jesus."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Four crazy kids and happy as a clam!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
robininni wrote:
MikePustilnik wrote:

Put your big-boy pants on and go do some research.

No way I'm putting on pants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IS this what you are referring to?

http://money.cnn.com/2018/02/07/media/right-wing-media-fbi-t...

Members of the pro-Trump media acted like they hit the goldmine on Wednesday morning. Led by Fox News, these outlets went into a frenzy over what they presented as an explosive story that not only cast former President Obama and Hillary Clinton in a negative light, but simultaneously helped vindicate claims then-candidate Donald Trump made about the investigation into Clinton's private email server being "rigged."
But a CNN review of the story's premise indicates that key text messages the story relied on were taken out of context, and portrayed as meaning something entirely different than what they actually meant.

In the early hours of the morning, Fox News published an article on its website based on newly-released communications between senior FBI officials Peter Strzok and Lisa Page. The text messages were released Tuesday in a report produced by the office of Republican Sen. Ron Johnson.

In one September 2, 2016, text message, Page wrote that there was a meeting at the bureau setup because Obama wanted "to know everything we are doing."

Johnson, in his report, said the text message raised questions about Obama's involvement in the FBI's investigation into Clinton's use of a private email server. In fact, the message more likely indicated that Obama wanted to be kept informed of an investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election.

In its story, Fox News reiterated Johnson's claim without scrutiny. In fact, it's not clear if Fox News even reached out to Obama's office prior to publishing to see if there were any other explanation for what Page said in her text. The story makes no note of the reporter having sought comment. In an email to CNN, Fox News spokeswoman Carly Shanahan declined to answer whether Fox's reporter had contacted Obama's office. "It's clear you're getting your talking points from a partisan analysis by Think Progress," Shanahan said, referring to a liberal news website.

Before other media outlets could provide the proper context for the text message, the narrative ricocheted through the pro-Trump media universe in what has become a pattern for stories that seem to call the investigation into Trump into question, or suggest that the investigation into Clinton wasn't thorough. The misleading messaging was delivered to millions of people through Fox News' airwaves and through other pro-Trump media, which went into overdrive. Articles about the text lead websites from the Drudge Report and Breitbart to InfoWars and the Gateway Pundit.

The story eventually made his way to the president himself, who amplified it further when he tweeted, "NEW FBI TEXTS ARE BOMBSHELLS!"

People familiar with the matter strongly dispute the assertion that the text message referenced the Clinton email probe. The text message, they say, was actually referencing Obama's desire to be kept abreast on the FBI's investigation into Russian election meddling.

One former Obama official told CNN that the idea the text message was about the Clinton email investigation was "total nonsense," noting that the theory did not conform with the timeline of events.

Indeed, the text message was sent on September 2, 2016, months after the bureau had closed its investigation into Clinton, and before it reopened that investigation. But September 2, 2016 was just days before Obama confronted Russian President Vladimir Putin over Russia's meddling in the presidential election.

A person familiar with Strzok's thinking reiterated this account, telling CNN that the text referred to Obama's broader interests in issues of potential Russian interference in the election more generally. The idea that Obama was micromanaging the FBI's investigation does not match reality, the person said.

In a footnote in his report, Johnson even seemed to concede that the idea the text message referred to the Clinton email investigation was only speculation. The report said the Justice Department said it redacted "text messages that were personal in nature or relating to other investigations." Because this message was not redacted, Johnson's report said, it could be presumed that the Justice Department "believes it may relate to the FBI's investigation of classified information on Secretary Clinton's private server."

This is not the first time a claim pushed by Johnson and Fox News has fallen apart in recent weeks. In late January, the Wisconsin senator backed off a claim -- similarly amplified by Fox News -- that text messages between Strzok and Page indicated there was a "secret society" at the FBI. Johnson did so after people familiar with the exchange said the text message referenced a gag gift of Putin-themed calendars that one of the employees purchased for those working on the early stage of the Russia investigation.

Fox News continued to discuss the story on its air Wednesday afternoon, even after multiple outlets -- including the Wall Street Journal, which is controlled by Fox head Rupert Murdoch -- had reported contrary information.

Appears it took only a mere few hours to debunk this latest GOP smear effort. I guess the real question isn't whether the Left is really that crooked, but rather, is the Right really that desperate? I guess we know the answer to that one!

Is there anything else we need to know?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robininni wrote:
MikePustilnik wrote:

How about you put on your big boy pants and actually present an evidence supported argument.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

This thread's going to be great. I can tell already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MikePustilnik wrote:
robininni wrote:
This makes Watergate look like a toddler poop accident. The more that comes out in these memos the more we see true treasonous corruption orchestrated from the Obama administration, it's FBI and DOJ appointees,the DNC and Hillary. Time to clean house and send these people to prison or worse. Is the liberal RSP mass starting to open its collective eyes with these revelations? I certainly hope so. I know this shatters your world view, but surely you can't still some how maintain rectal-cranial-inversion and worship Hillary and Obama ilk? Not after all this, right?

Among other things
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
robininni wrote:

I’m a dumb liberal.

Could you walk me through the evidence for:

Treason
Corruption
Or crime

In the memo? I know you can’t but I thought I’d ask anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's just so pathetically obvious that Trump and his Russian handlers are desperately throwing out every possible diversionary tactic possible to distract from what is going to be Trump's undoing at the hands of Robert Mueller. I mean, the Trump supporters efforts to keep the boss in power by throwing out various smokescreens and oil slicks are worthy of a James Bondian car chase...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bond had style.

This is more William H. Macy in Fargo:

Except imagine a chorus of conservative media dipshits trying to tell us all that getting arrested half-naked in a seedy hotel room is a sign of strength.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snoo Py
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
robininni wrote:

Let say that all this is true.
I really would like to understand why this is more shocking to you than the fact that Trump colluded with the Russians and that the Russians directly and indirectly influenced the results of the presidential election.
This really stands for treason, no?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Parsons
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Benghazi!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Uh, you guys have heard of Poe's law, haven't you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The play's the thing ...
Australia
Point Lonsdale
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Going thirty-eight, Dan, chill the f*** out. Mow your damn lawn and sit the hell down.
mbmbmbmbmb
I gotta say worshipping Obama and Hillary is still better than worshipping Trump.

Cue ‘I didn’t vote for him’, and ‘just showing both sides are as bad as each other’ defensive mode.

snore
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dickie Crickets
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter, sir. I am also interested in spending comical amounts of money on survival seeds and gold ingots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robininni wrote:
MikePustilnik wrote:

You go first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Whetstone
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a stronger effort than I even saw on FB.

So Russian paid post spammer or true believer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Huh.

Big-boy pants time again, is it?

Seem to recall something about the last two people who started slinging that phrase about in RSP... What was it now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Professional Agitation Consultant... HTTP Error 418 I'm a Teapot!
mbmb
MikePustilnik wrote:
robininni wrote:

more like entire generations, or the entire picnic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Professional Agitation Consultant... HTTP Error 418 I'm a Teapot!
mbmb
"Except imagine a chorus of conservative media dipshits trying to tell us all that getting arrested half-naked in a seedy hotel room is a sign of strength."

No it is god strengthened his chosens ones Vigour so he doesn't need the blue pill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elias Någonsson
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Joe Cool wrote:
that the Russians directly and indirectly influenced the results of the presidential election.

I'm still having issues understanding why this in itself is somehow damning of the russians. Influencing elections across the world is what most major political powers do. The US does it on a regular basis. It just seems so weird that this is levied as some kind of scandal of itself.

I mean, there's plenty of reasons to despise the Russian government, and there's plenty of reasons to despise Cheeto Jesus, but I'm still trying to wrap my head around why this is held up as some keystone example of such.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robininni wrote:
MikePustilnik wrote:

I think I'll put on a dress and call myself pretty for all the good research is gonna do here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Hankins
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is incredibly depressing that a presidency so intimately tied with the phrase 'Fake News' seems to have a following that is unrepentantly partisan about burden of evidence and research.

'Fake News' being a popular talking point should have spurred an interest in critical evaluation of all news sources, including a default non-partisan scepticism of all information (heck, your scepticism should increase when a news source is telling you what you want to hear). Yet, the reality is that Trump and his followers will believe anything that fits their own narrative while dismissing anything that doesn't.

Apparently, some people don't even feel the need to bother evidencing their claims anymore:

robininni wrote:
MikePustilnik wrote:

Were you really expecting people's worldviews to be 'shattered' without needing to provide any evidence?

Your post implies that you've already done some research of your own, so why not write that research up (with links) and walk people through it if what you have found is so revelationary as to possibly inspire some kind of Copernican revolution amongst liberal/left voters? If you're passionate about politics and you think that this memo is such a big deal, then surely it would be worth some effort?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sajberhippien wrote:
Joe Cool wrote:
that the Russians directly and indirectly influenced the results of the presidential election.

I'm still having issues understanding why this in itself is somehow damning of the russians. Influencing elections across the world is what most major political powers do. The US does it on a regular basis. It just seems so weird that this is levied as some kind of scandal of itself.

I mean, there's plenty of reasons to despise the Russian government, and there's plenty of reasons to despise Cheeto Jesus, but I'm still trying to wrap my head around why this is held up as some keystone example of such.

It's decorum, akin to spying on your allies. Yes everyone does it, but don't get caught.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
sajberhippien wrote:
Joe Cool wrote:

The issue isn’t that the Russians did it. They can do what they want, and they seem exceptionally gifted in this regard.

The issue is two fold. First that the President denies it happened despite all evidence to the contrary and a denial that involves undermining the agencies that would protect us from future attacks.

Second, the is considerable evidence that Trump exploited the Russian expertise and perhaps in exchange for relief of sanctions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.