Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So the first turn is just a stockpile turn for the player? Or am I missing something? Or is this just another example of poorly written rules?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo
United States
Downingtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Solitary Man
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, Scott. Step 1 of a player’s turn is to Fill the Battleground. So even though you start turn one with an empty Battleground, the first thing you do is fill it.

Mo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Narrow Gate Games wrote:
So the first turn is just a stockpile turn for the player? Or am I missing something? Or is this just another example of poorly written rules?

Thanks.

Not sure what's confusing about it. Just follow the steps. #1: Fill the Battleground. On the 1st turn it starts empty so just fill it. On subsequent turns there may be leftover cards from the previous turn so perform the other steps listed there instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I've been playing it correctly, but every time I read the set-up rules, I just wonder.

Here is what the rules say. If you read this literally, it sure could be interpreted different than intended (I am bolding the parts that if read sequentially are confusing):
1. Fill the Battleground
From the Mission Deck, you will play cards to fill the Axis row of the battleground, one card per slot, so that all four slots are full. The Battleground may contain a variety of cards but at most only one Objective and one Terrain card. If you draw more than one of these during this phase, set these cards aside, face up, in the Recon Area next to the Mission Deck. On the first turn, the Battleground starts empty. Once the game is under way, step through this procedure each turn:

1. Consolidate any remaining Static Defense cards from the previous turn into a stack that occupies the right hand slot of the Battleground. These Static Defense cards take up only one slot. (NOTE: If there are ever four Static Defense cards on the Battleground at the end of
a turn, you LOSE.)

2. Check the Recon Area for Objective or Terrain cards. If there are cards in the Recon Area, use these cards to fill the Battleground, keeping in mind there can never be more than one Objective and one Terrain card in play on the Battleground. If the Recon Area contains more than one Objective card and/or Terrain card, select one Objective and one Terrain, and move them to the Battleground. Leave remaining Objective and Terrain cards in the Recon Area for now.

3. Draw cards from the Mission Deck to fill any remaining slots in the Battleground. If Objective or Terrain cards appear, move them to the Battleground—unless the Battleground already contains one of each, in which case the cards should to the Recon Area, to be used on later
turns.

I guess I'm just over-thinking, but this is "Play Sequence step #1" right after "Set-up".

Thanks. Carry on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mo7189 wrote:
Hey, Scott. Step 1 of a player’s turn is to Fill the Battleground. So even though you start turn one with an empty Battleground, the first thing you do is fill it.

Mo

Thanks Mo. That's what I assumed. It's just weird wording I guess. The rules say "once the game is underway" you fill it, but "the battleground starts empty", so it just had me wondering.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo
United States
Downingtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Solitary Man
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I see what you’re saying, but it sounds like a case of overthinking the rules a bit. I’ve been there plenty of times myself. No big deal.

Hope you enjoy the game. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.