j s
United States
washington
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group has only played twice but we all feel like we are doing poorly. we played 5 players with the easiest races we can get our hands on. We bearly get age III techs built. And winning scores are in the mid-30s.

Are we terrible? Is this standard? What do we need to realize to unlock stronger economies?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds like a reasonable second game score, in line with what we've seen. In my third game, I managed to reach 50 points, but it was a six-player game, so that helped a bit. But the thing I did to reach was to trade trade trade. On several rounds, I managed to trade every loose cube I had. Were they good trades? No idea, but at least I got many techs built.

So just work on it, try to get those cubes moving a lot and focus on getting techs built, and the scores will improve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Whetstone
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say building an age III tech at 5 players is pretty good.

Scores would vary with more plays I would think. 30's don't seem low to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Bolland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
PLAY
badge
Loooooooooooooooon!
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I've read, this is normal. Our two 4-player games had the level III tech come out at the very end and no one could afford them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Henning
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that's reasonable, although slightly on the lower side. I think winning scores for my first few games were like 42 and 38? So right in there.

Researches are really where most races are going to get their points. It also depends on what techs get invented - there is one that you can invent on the first turn where you get a VP and that can warp the shape of VP scoring for the game. Additionally, once people "get" the game a little more they tend to not leave value on the table (unused cubes) and find a way to get people incorporated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe McSteve
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ditto - 30s are totally normal and reasonable (and good!) scores for beginning players. Many of my first plays, although the winner was always in the 40s, had players scoring in the 20s (and even 16 once). So 30s is pretty good. I think that really, it doesn't matter how high the scores are as long as you do better than your opponents, but that as you trade cubes more and get better at deals, prioritizing techs, etc., the scores will all go up, especially at higher player counts.

Some of the best advice I can give (that I did not come up with myself) is to look at the yield on your cards. If you are putting two brown cubes into a 2->2.5 and someone else has a three brown cube converter that's 3->5.5, you should work with them and split profits and choose not to run yours, even though you can. This is something that took me and my play groups a few plays to learn, and it has improved all of our scores immeasurably.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.