5 Posts

Untold: Adventures Await» Forums » General

Subject: Don't get it rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gustav Snyman
South Africa
flag msg tools
Watched some reviews and read a couple here and there but still don't get the appeal.

First time I heard about it my first impression was some kind of Once Upon A Time with dice. But this game has no tension. There's no win or lose. Absolutely nothing except thumb sucking. Why not just sit around a table and make-up stories?

Our group loves Once Upon A Time. Some crazy stuff happening because everyone is trying to play out there card. There is actual tension.

This game seems like a silly pastime for small kids.

Am I missing something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Gabbert
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a GM-less narrative-style roleplaying game that you can play with non-gamers in about an hour. Essentially, it is sitting around the table telling stories. The game provides some structure to keep things moving and a device (the Story Cubes) to spark people's imaginations. Any tension comes from the situations the players create. But if that doesn't appeal to you, that's totally cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Porter
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Snaphaan wrote:
Watched some reviews and read a couple here and there but still don't get the appeal.

First time I heard about it my first impression was some kind of Once Upon A Time with dice. But this game has no tension. There's no win or lose. Absolutely nothing except thumb sucking. Why not just sit around a table and make-up stories?

Our group loves Once Upon A Time. Some crazy stuff happening because everyone is trying to play out there card. There is actual tension.

This game seems like a silly pastime for small kids.

Am I missing something?

You're not missing anything. It is a toolbox for making up stories. In a similar vein to Rory's Story Cubes. There is no winner or loser. It is a creative exercise for a group of storytellers - not a "game" in the sense that we commonly use that word on this site.

I would hesitate at calling it a silly pastime. It's very clever and well constructed; is creative writing a silly pastime? Or improvisational theatre and storytelling? I would also say that it works just as well for an adult group of storytellers as it does for kids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Fox
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup - you don't have to like it, and that's totally cool! We made the game because people wanted a more in-depth storytelling experience that used Story Cubes, that could bring a wider range of players into the role playing world. Sure, you could just sit around the table telling a story, but the game throws some randomness into the mix that encourages players to think how to deal with situations where their characters mess up. It removes all the numbers, all the stats management, and focuses on the story instead.

Sure, there's no win or lose, but there's no win or lose in Pathfinder, D&D or countless other games. The fun is in the play itself, and the collective growth of your characters as they work through strange situations
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Visser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't get that you don't know what there is to get.

There is a lot of tension. I'm still buzzing from the mini-adventure my wife and I just took. It went places we didn't expect. Events throughout the story tied into one another - but only after we were finished telling the episode and were contemplating what happened in the written reflections.

I want to start new stories, but I also want to see how this story develops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.