Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Clark
Australia
Holland Park West
Qld
flag msg tools
mb
When using Civitates "reinforcement" feat to move troops to an adjacent battle space, 4.3.3 says to move "1D6-2" troops.

1. If I roll a 1 or 2 do I move no troops?

2. If so, do I get refunded the 2 resources it cost to select that space?

3. Does it still count as using the feat?

4. So if moving troops failed, do I still have to go through with the battle that I was trying to move troops into?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
profanicus wrote:
When using Civitates "reinforcement" feat to move troops to an adjacent battle space, 4.3.3 says to move "1D6-2" troops.

1. If I roll a 1 or 2 do I move no troops?

2. If so, do I get refunded the 2 resources it cost to select that space? Does it still count as using the feat?

1. Correct.
2. You lose the 2 Resources, and it counts as using the Feat.

Just because you try to bribe the neighbouring strongmen to come yo your aid doesn't guarantee that they actually will come, much less that they'll arrive in time to do anything useful...

Regards,
Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Clark
Australia
Holland Park West
Qld
flag msg tools
mb
Oops sorry, edited a bit because I wasn't expecting so quick a reply.

Thanks! Makes sense. How about the bit added, about Battle?

This is the situation the poor Civitates AI is in right now...

edt: Ah, Reinforce feat comes before Battle, so I guess there's no commitment to attack there.

Though in this case since it's the AI, the chart says they must.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Remember that in Pendragon, rule 3.1 requires you to pre-designate all Command and Feat spaces: you can't back out of a pre-designated action if things don't go to plan. You're only allowed to try to Reinforce at all because you have declared that you're going to fight a Battle, and once you have have declared a Battle you're stuck with fighting it (unless you manage to Evade, of course).

Think about it this way: you try to gather an army to beat up the local Saxons, but you need reinforcements because the Saxons are too strong for your own warband on its own. Once the Saxons realize that you're not going to get those reinforcements and they're still strong enough to take you, they aren't going to let you get away without a fight.

Regards,
Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Clark
Australia
Holland Park West
Qld
flag msg tools
mb
I'd forgotten that.

Thanks for taking the time to explain. It's complicated at first and really slow going but the game has this certain intriguing quality for me. Even if I'm stuffing it up a bit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Gouyon-Rety
Canada
Laval
QC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Most excellent answers by Oerjan as usual, nothing to add :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Clark
Australia
Holland Park West
Qld
flag msg tools
mb
Yep he knows his stuff alright!

Even though I had some questions/uncertainties, it's just me. I'm finding the documention quite good overall - I guess it's just a lot to take in!

I played through the playbook example, followed by the AI tutorial, and now I'm doing my first solo game versus 3 AIs. It's my first COIN game.

And I'm loving it! I particularly like that you included some history for each of the event cards in the playbook, fascinating reading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Gouyon-Rety
Canada
Laval
QC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Andrew, glad you're enjoying it! :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.