Xiangqi» Forums » General

Subject: Looking for an authentic "well used" XIangqi set rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jamesh Bond
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no shortage of new xiangqi sets available online, from cheap and serviceable to mid range to luxury. However for some people (like me) there is a certain appeal to games sets that have an "authentic" quality to them. For example I bought a fairly small Russian chess set from etsy. It had quite a lot of obvious wear, but it was made in 1959 at the height of the Soviet chess reign and knowing it had many a game of chess played on it over the years gave it a sort of mystique.

Same with Xiangi. For me something like

has a lot of appeal! If that set was knew I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole, but it's all about the authenticity.I live in small town and although there is a local Chinese takeaway there is no real Chinese community so I can't ask anyone for a set.

If anyone can help me in this regard, please let me know. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gan
Malaysia
Johor
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is most certainly a DIY board, the river part was just written "one dollar" all over, and the path of the elephants are drawn too.
The pieces themselves are no different than any modern set.
If you want to nick pick something about "authenticity" then I suggest you look for a set that has completely different naming for both side.

If you look closely at the picture you would notice only the king, pawn and the elephant is different, that is the sign of a modern production and if you want to argue, could be considered less "authentic".

The original naming has different word for each of the pieces of both side, with red being more "humane" and black being more "barbaric", speaking of which, this set of yours in the picture isn't even red/black, and the red side has the barbaric elephant(which should have been minister instead).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamesh Bond
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeez, sorry I asked. Never mind, I'll find another website and ask someone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gan
Malaysia
Johor
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you somehow offended?
What I offered are genuine advices though.
-properly worded river
-different naming pieces for both sides
-red vs black
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bgguserjean wrote:

Please don't be offended, I think the respondent just didn't quite get what you were trying to ask.

One always has to keep in mind that BGG is an international site, and that many of our members are not native speakers of English, even though a large number of them are wonderfully fluent. And truth be told, writing skills vary greatly even among our members for whom English is their first (or only) language, so simple misunderstandings are frequent, but not *personal*.

I understand what you're getting at in your question, though where you wrote "authentic", I would have said "well loved" (as we speak here in the Southeast US), and I think YGHan may have understood what you wrote in a sense closer to the primary definition of "authentic", something close to "genuine".

I've seen such sets as you are seeking on eBay now and then, though new sets make up nearly the entire market there. If you enter "used" as one of your search terms, it will filter out all the new sets and help you find something closer to what you desire. Then it's only a matter of patience and a bit of luck until someone lists a set that interests you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Poon
Canada
Gibsons
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel your pain—I looked for something similar on eBay, but lacked the patience and gave up. However, I will likely never find anything nicer (IMHO) than my father's set, so it's not so bad for me.

Personally, I'd focus on getting the pieces (preferably wooden) and not worry about the board. One of the nicest boards I've ever seen was actually just carved into the top of an outdoor stone table. The board I currently use is cloth with lines sewed by my mother—despite it not looking as "rustic", it's extremely practical and resistant to wear (unlike paper).

In any case, good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
procyonlotor wrote:
The board I currently use is cloth with lines sewed by my mother....

Veering slightly off topic for a moment, please upload a photo or two and show us that board!

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R J Hare
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
bgguserjean wrote:

'Interesting' reaction to what was clearly intended to be a helpful response? Good grief!

RJH
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.