Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Boris JOSEPH
France
LYON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, I am looking for one of those (Vinhos or Madeira) to play with my wife.
Rating, weight, length seems quite similar.
What do you suggest ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mate Horvath
Hungary
Budapest
Pest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both. :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Roitzsch
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig-Holstein
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BJOSEPHLYON wrote:
What do you suggest ?
I think Madeira works a bit better for two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Dorward
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't much like Madeira for two--it's too tight given the restrictions on dice placement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Spath
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Madeira works really well with 2. It's a different game than with 3 or 4 players for sure, and it is meaner as a result; with the tight placement restrictions you really have to pay attention to what your opponent is doing and needs to do, but I love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris ward
Scotland
Paisley
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Madeira. But we only played the original version of Vinhos and the needlessly convoluted market phase killed it for us (I otherwise really liked it). So I'm biased.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Spath
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I should also add that I like Vinhos too, though I have much less experience of Vinhos than Madeira. I actually prefer the 2010 Vinhos game because of the bank, but 2016 is also good.

Based on my experience, Madeira is the better 2 player game. But if you like heavy games and it is an option to get both, then I say do!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob D
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both Vinhos Deluxe Edition and Madeira are good at 2. With the deluxe edition of Vinhos, you can play the 2016 version if the 2010 rules are not to your liking. Essentially, you get 1.5 games in one box. I owned the original Vinhos but traded it away. I really enjoy both the 2016 and 2010 versions.

Madeira, as others have mentioned, is tight at 2. It also scales well at all player counts.

Both games scale well and are deep, strategic games with initially high rules overhead. Pick the one that is most appealing to you, theme or mechanism-wise. Neither game is bad nor considerably better at 2 than the other so there really isn’t a wrong choice from an objective point of view.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
longhunter

Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vinhos Deluxe for 2 is quite good. It also has a decent solo version. I've only played Madeira 3 players so can't comment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
Pugs are like little people in fur coats.
badge
If it's not a Pug, it's just a dog.
mbmbmbmbmb
Pick the theme you like better. We like both at two, but prefer Vinhos for it's theme over Madeira. We own both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
       This space              intentionally              left blank.
badge
I haven't played Vinhos, but I think Madeira as a 2-player game works really, really well. I prefer it with 3, but only barely, and it's one of the two very involved and heavy games which we grab as a 2-player game when we have the time and mindspace to really dig in (the other is Bora Bora).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rizzo
United States
Griffith
Indiana
flag msg tools
It's probably not as good as everyone says it is....
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BJOSEPHLYON wrote:
What do you suggest ?

I loved the mechanics in Vinhos, but I didn't enjoy the game whatsoever. You only get 12 actions per game, which completely soiled it for both the wife and myself. Sure, you can get bonus actions, but the game is so short and so restrictive. I felt like I was suffocating. We played through our learning game in like 45 minutes. North worth it, IMO.

While you don't get "oodles" more action in in Madeira, you should get at least double that. Combined with the pirate dice and the "passing" actions, I think I netted about 25ish actions in our learning game. As a fan of looser games with large numbers of actions, I can tell you I liked Madeira at 2P, and wouldn't trade my copy for the Deluxe edition of Vinhos, even if you threw money on top of it. I think Vinhos appeals to me more based on the theme, the visuals and even some of the mechanics (which tie into the theme quite nicely), but that all faded away 20 minutes in when I realized we were halfway through the game and the mechanics in Madeira are quite nice as well.

Now. Lets hope this upcoming reprint of Madeira gets some super treatment comparable to Vinhos Deluxe. Or as I called it, VD. <--- Troll comment. I kid, it's a good game, I just hated it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls