9 Posts

The World of SMOG: Rise of Moloch» Forums » General

Subject: First impressions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lorenzo Cotti
Italy
flag msg tools
I'm waiting for my game and I'd love to hear more from the players who have already start playing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurent Chuz
France
flag msg tools
I got mine two days ago, and tried a solo game tonight, to try the game mechanics. It's really fun! Lots of tactics to use, difficult choices to make, but all in all pretty dynamic, as heads roll almost every turn! The heads of the gentlemen are a bit hard to get, though. But that's a good thing!

There is a problem with the ink quality on the dice, and some typo errors. Nothing too bad, though. For the rest, it's all very beautiful, and makes your heart beat with joy of future slaughters!!

Can't wait to play for real this weekend! I hope I'll quickly find myself a regular party to play. And hopefully with someone willing to play the Nemesis, as I'm soooo fond on arcanists and mekamancers (I still will have to pick one, and that's not gonna be easy!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Wan
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thats great to hear... i expected the minis to also be very pretty and stuff, but i suppose that didn't stick out really.

Looking forward to getting my box too!

...or not. My gf was decidedly upset when she saw my green horde, deception murder in Hong Kong and triplock boxes all arrive yesterday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Guimarães
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
schweinefett wrote:

...or not. My gf was decidedly upset when she saw my green horde, deception murder in Hong Kong and triplock boxes all arrive yesterday.

lol, my wife was upset too with Dinosaur island and Bios:megafauna arriving without much space at home where to put it. Wait until SMOG and Rising sun arrive, i don't know if i'll live to play them

Eager for more first impressions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan C
United Kingdom
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a one off game last night and hope to play it again today.

The game is pretty simple and easy to understand. I found it very quick and easy to teach.
We played it as a 2 player game, which I feel plays very well, maybe even best at 2 players. One player controlling a 4 Gentlemen team is no issue at all.

The gameplay at it's core is very simple, the usual pick a target and roll some dice. What makes it interesting however is your choice of using Ether to boost your abilities. You want to spend Ether, but then you're giving it to the Nemesis to power his Chaos card powers which are really nasty. Keep using to much Ether and the Nemesis player can have some huge blowout turns.

We found Line of sight to be really important as range is unlimited for most Trigger attacks, so you really need to hide behind cover and use windows to your advantage. Keep your weaker Gents hidden behind others to give them cover.

The stand out mechanic is the turn order board for sure. I didn't think much of it at first, but as the board state changes, turn order becomes a huge consideration at the start of each round. It is really tough deciding who NEEDS to go first. It's a critical part of the strategy and choosing a good order can really swing the game in you favor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Svavar Björgvinsson
Iceland
Reykjavik
Hofudborgardsvaedid
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I got mine yesterday, but I haven´t plaid it yet. So far I am really pleased with the components and I have read the rules. Seems pretty straight forward and easy to get your head around.

All the minis and components look fantastic!

I am really looking forwards to play it and as some have already mentioned, for this one I want to play the Gentlemen (I usually play the DM). So many interesting characters to play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CK Lai
Malaysia
Subang Jaya
flag msg tools
badge
I have Overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
eduguima wrote:
schweinefett wrote:

lol, my wife was upset too with Dinosaur island and Bios:megafauna arriving without much space at home where to put it. Wait until SMOG and Rising sun arrive, i don't know if i'll live to play them

Eager for more first impressions

Yes. The full sets of Rising Sun and SMOG coming so close together really raised my wife's eyebrows

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. M.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played the first mission to learn the rules for the big round on the weekend and it is fun. Btw: This Nemesis here won using some surprising backstab abilities that my boyfriend wasn't expecting. Poor damsel. I painted her afterwards to make her pretty for the next round
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jill K
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We played the first chapter twice with two players (as it was the first chapter we didn't bother setting it up as one-shot), once each as nemesis and gentlemen. The nemesis won both times, but it felt like it was due to strategy or luck rather than being unbalanced. The minis and theme were really good, the plot of the chapter was very engaging and felt like a battle of wits and that the a lot of the decisions were going to influence your success or failure. At first when reading the rules it seemed very complex but as soon as we started playing it all clicked into place very quickly. The allies all activating at the same time worked well, and the nemesis board and powers were also quite interesting.

We are going to play through as a campaign next and really looking forward to it, have to flip a coin to see who gets what role! Seems like this game has a lot of promise for us to get really into it and be the only game we play for a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.