Hide
10 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: Difficulty rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mario Speigner
msg tools
My Wife and I are playing together with a mindthief cragheart combo and so far we are having a blast. By now we have completed 7 scenarios and we are both level 3.
We are playing on normal difficulty and half of the time we end the scenario right before exhaustion. We don’t get too much gold to loot and most of the time we also don’t get the chest. How important are the chests? Is the game getting harder when we go on without getting the stuff from the chests?
My wife wouldn’t be too excited about a rerun just to get the chest.

Difficulty isn’t very steady in my opinion. One Scenario we failed twice and the third time on easy we cut through like a knife through butter. The next one played on normal again was way too easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Oosterom
Netherlands
De Meern
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

The chest aren't that important to be honest. It's fun to get some loot but you dont miss alot. Sometimes it's gold, side quest or even nothing at all. The difficulty can varry but we feel like playing on normal to hard and also abit off modifier luck at the right moments can make or break your scenario.

Don;t focus on the chest to much but gathering some gold on the way or when a scenario is almost over leaving 1 enemy alive to grab some loot is a good option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Chest contents spoiler incoming...

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Imagine how the OP's wife would react when they redo a scenario just for a chest that turns out to only do damage to whoever opens it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Scholz
Germany
Gütersloh
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say, leave the treasure chests behind. You might get to a point where you want to redo scenarios anyway (for Life goals or such things). Then You can check if there are any scenarios that fit where you skipped the chest and can try to get it then.

The contents of the chests vary in usefullness:
(mild spoilers about chest content)
The items you find are as far as I remeber very situational. (Interacting with some element for instance. If you class uses that element, great, if not its probably useless for you.)
Some contain just gold. Useless items also equate to gold since you would sell them.

I regards to the game getting harder if you don't get the chests I would say, that it should not have any significant impact. The most useful upgrades come from prosperity in my opinion and that is rather independet from treasure chests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slawomir Stankowski
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you find the game to be easy then you can rise the difficulty by going for the chest instead of raising the level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Speigner
msg tools
florencka wrote:

Imagine how the OP's wife would react when they redo a scenario just for a chest that turns out to only do damage to whoever opens it

Thanks for your advice guys
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Maschino
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mario_81 wrote:
My Wife and I are playing together with a mindthief cragheart combo and so far we are having a blast. By now we have completed 7 scenarios and we are both level 3.
We are playing on normal difficulty and half of the time we end the scenario right before exhaustion. We don’t get too much gold to loot and most of the time we also don’t get the chest. How important are the chests? Is the game getting harder when we go on without getting the stuff from the chests?

Difficulty isn’t very steady in my opinion. One Scenario we failed twice and the third time on easy we cut through like a knife through butter. The next one played on normal again was way too easy.

I am playing solo, completed 3 scenarios (made it to level 2), and am having similar thoughts. I think I am going to add a 3rd character. I've gotten very lucky in two of my scenarios. And although my hand management skills are getting better I've won my last two scenarios with a character exhausted and the other on her last 2 cards. Just reviewing the scenarios I"ve played it looks like the increase in monsters from 2 to 3 players is not that great. Also, I am playing a Brute and a Spellweaver and am not sure if that's an optimal pairing. Anyway, if you're open to the idea maybe going from 2 to 3 characters might work for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
florencka wrote:

In the 6 missions we've played, I've only managed to get to 1 chest before my teammates. Guess what it gave me. #NotBitter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Speigner
msg tools
tmaschino wrote:
mario_81 wrote:

I am playing solo, completed 3 scenarios (made it to level 2), and am having similar thoughts. I think I am going to add a 3rd character. I've gotten very lucky in two of my scenarios. And although my hand management skills are getting better I've won my last two scenarios with a character exhausted and the other on her last 2 cards. Just reviewing the scenarios I"ve played it looks like the increase in monsters from 2 to 3 players is not that great. Also, I am playing a Brute and a Spellweaver and am not sure if that's an optimal pairing. Anyway, if you're open to the idea maybe going from 2 to 3 characters might work for you.

I thought about a 3rd character but i dont think thats for us.

Funny fact. I calculated the difficulty for our scenarios wrong.
I added the playerlevels divided by 2 and rounded up. Which got us on hard from the moment our first character hit lvl 2. ^—^;

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
That'd do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.