Jesús H
Spain
Torrejón de Ardoz
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Part 1: Introduction

Following the trail of some great users like Gabriel Castro, Jan Englund or Howard Burdett (to mention a few of them), I’ve decided to upload my own version of an Underworld Denizens team: the Underworld Creepers! I tried to keep close to the original Blood Bowl feel, while taking some liberties.
It’s in an early state, however I enjoyed the creative process and decided to share it with you. I didn’t playtest this team yet (BBTM hasn’t hit the table this week), but I plan to do so in the near future. I’m not one of those artists, so I’ll not upload any PnP files in the near future (although if someone is interested in giving shape to all these cards, message me so we can work together ).
The main trait I tried to translate is Animosity. Skaven don’t trust in anyone that isn’t their kin, so you will have problems lending the ball to goblins and others (any player that doesn’t have the Skaven ability). In this team, skaven make great throwers and blitzers, with abilities to handle the ball like Dump-off. Dump-off allows you to move the ball to other players in case your throwers are at risk, but skaven’s Animosity towards other races is an obstacle. Whenever you plan to move the ball from throwers to any player that isn’t a skaven, you must roll one dice: on POW! and X results, your thrower passes the ball; on a blank result, the skaven thinks twice and decides to keep the ball for himself. You can’t move the ball from your thrower to any other team-mate, skaven included.
But why would you like to pass the ball to the goblins and the troll? Because they are better at keeping it.
The warpstone troll is the big guy in this team, with 4 star power. If he is the ball carrier, enemy teams have low chances to get him down and he has Regeneration so, if they manage to do it, the effort could prove almost worthless.
On the other hand, we have the goblins. They are weak but very agile, combining Stunty with Sure Hands: difficult to take down and, even then, they won’t drop the ball.
If you prefer to let your skaven keep the ball, prepare to have a hard time. Blitzers are relatively weak, not to talk about linemen. Throwers are okay, and they can Dump-off the ball in case someone want to stomp them. But that’s all. Your players are VERY weak, and you really need the ball to win most matches (either enchanted ball or regular ball).
So, to succeed, goblin and skaven need to cooperate. The team is highly synergistic, but their synergy has its risks.

Part 2: The roster

Warpstone troll (1)
Star power: 4
Downed star power: 1
Skill icons: Tackling
Downed skill icons: Regeneration
Other abilities: Throw team-mate (move other player to another matchup and give the ball to another player in this matchup)

The biggest guy round here. Provides you with a great amount of SP, is resilient (Regeneration) and hits like a mule. Also, he lets you move the ball ignoring Animosity: throw away your thrower and give the ball to one of your goblins.

Underworld blitzer (2)
Star power: 2
Skill icons: Tackling, Cheating
Downed skill icons: Cheating
Other abilities: Skaven, Diving tackle (+2SP when you tackle an enemy ball carrier)

Strong tacklers, blitzers make enemies drop the ball with ease, although don’t expect them to stand after receiving a tackle. They obtain a cheating token even if the tackle goes wrong, so they can earn you some SP or fans… but their 2 SP and the risk of an ejection makes them poor ball carriers.

Underworld thrower (3)
Downed star power: 0
Skill icons: Cheating, Passing
Downed skill icons: None
Other abilities: Skaven, Dump-off (you can move the ball to another player whenever this player takes or loses the ball), Animosity (whenever you try to Dump-off a ball to a player that doesn’t have the Skaven ability, throw a dice. On a blank [empty dice], this player keeps the ball and his Dump-off ability is wasted)

Nothing more to add. Their cheating is a risk you don’t want to take, so try to handle the ball to other players.

Underworld goblin (4)
Star power: 1
Skill icons: Fouling
Other abilities: Sure hands (goblins don’t drop the ball when they become downed), Stunty (during tackle attempts against them, their SP equals enemy SP)

Goblins excel at protecting the ball, though they don’t have any skills to catch it (the opposite to goblin runners). Other than that, they only provide 1 SP to matchups they are committed to, though their fouling skill is nice to have.

Underworld lineman (2)
Star power: 1
Skill icons: Sprinting
Downed skill icons: Sprinting
Other abilities: Skaven, Guard (you can apply dice results to this player on opponent’s successful tackle on another player)

Unlike your typical linemen, these ones have two instances of sprint, one of them as a downed skill. They aren’t an interesting target to tackle, but they have Guard (as other linemen), so they can protect their team-mates and have access to their downed sprinting. Linemen really help you look for other more valuable players with their two sprints, but there’s only two of them.

Part 3: Team upgrades

I tried to keep this upgrades flavourful, with feels of mutation, swarming, cheating, hate and reluctance. They support Underworld’s intended playstyle while providing them with some ways to deal with their opponents, to not depend on Animosity rolls and to create a small skaven synergy.

1- Out of sight, out of mind
Response: exhaust this card after you draw and assign a cheating token to 1 of your players to reveal it. If it's an ejection, that player is ejected. If it's not, the cheating token remains upside and you can move any balls from that matchup from any enemy players to the midfield.

If the ref sees you, you are ejected. If he doesn’t, it’s another way to place the ball (or even balls, if you are playing against Zzharg, Skeezy and company) a little more closer without depending on tackles o passings.

2- Unwilling cooperation
Scoreboard phase: for each matchup that has at least one friendly skaven player and one fiendly non-skaven player, gain 1 fan. Gain 1 additional fan if at least one non-skaven player is the ball carrier at any matchup and doesn't have the Freebooter ability.

Simple upgrade that rewards the team’s intended synergy. In case you wonder, underworld fans don’t like those freebooter runners and throwers that don’t need skaven to catch the ball.

3- Springing up like mushrooms!
Matchup action: exhaust this card after you commit a player to a matchup to look at the card at the bottom of your deck. If it's standing star power is the same as the player you commited, you can commit it to the same matchup and resolve it's skills. If it's not, discard it.

You have access to sprinting, but this card is another way to look for the players you need. When your deck is thin, you have bigger chances to pull it off. And it lets you commit an extra player, skills included! If you manage to commit a troll and some 4 SP player thanks to this card, that matchup is probably yours. But most of the time you will draw 1 SP and 2 SP players, so it’s not overpowered (I think).

4- Down and dirty
Response: exhaust this card after an enemy player goes down as a result of a tackling attempt in which one of your players is involved (either tackling or being tackled). Your player becomes downed and the enemy player becomes injured. Enemy player doesn’t trigger any downed abilities.

With your low SP players, you won’t take enemy players down very often. The good thing is that you don’t have to start the tackle to trigger this upgrade: if you are lucky and an enemy tackle fails, punish him or her! You’ll probably lose less than the other coach: your players aren’t worth too much.

5- Unexpected mutation
Response: before making use of one of your player's skill icons (cheating, fouling, passing, sprinting, tackling or regeneration), exhaust this card to exchange than icon for any of your choice (cheating, fouling, passing, sprinting, tackling or regeneration). You perform that skill instead.

This upgrade adds a little flexibility to your strategies. Your goblin could use pass to catch the ball instead of fouling, or your thrower could sprint instead of cheat. You can even regenerate your blitzers or some useful star player.

6- A tooth for a tooth
Response: after any of your skaven players is going to become downed because of a tackle, you may exhaust this card to stand 1 of your other downed skaven players in this matchup and resolve it's standing skill icons and abilities immediately (if any).

Your players will become downed more often than not. Now, if it’s a skaven, you can stand another skaven to punish the enemy tackle (or your own fail). However, you can’t exploit downed linemen or non-skaven players, though you can stand one linemen and use guard to protect your other skaven from being downed.

Part 4: Star players

They add a bit more punch to the team and help you manage the ball. Three of them already exist in original Blood Bowl and supplements, the other two are inventions. Suggestions are welcome!

1- Skitter Stab-Stab
Skill icons: Cheating, Sprinting
Downed skill icons: Fouling
Other abilities: Skaven, When played: choose one enemy player and roll a die. On POW!, that player is downed. On X that player is injured and doesn’t trigger any downed abilities. On blank, nothing happens.

Is there a big guy at the other side of the pitch? Skitter can take care of him, without risks. He is weak, but his ability is really powerful.

2- Fezglitch
Star power: 3
Skill icons: Cheating, Tackling, Tackling
Other abilities: Skaven, Frantic (when attempting a tackle, ignore SP and roll 2 dice. Apply both results. If both would cause a standing player to become injured, ignore any downed abilities)

The ultimate destroyer. If lucky, Fezglitch can butcher two enemy players, though he will fall many times trying to do so. What is more: he is the only skaven with 3 SP in this team, so he can protect the ball better than most skaven (however, if some enemy tackles him, you lose the ball and 3 SP).

3- Lirklirk the Kind
Skill icons: Passing, Passing
Downed skill icons: Sprinting
Other abilities: Skaven, Dump-off (you can move the ball to another player whenever this player takes or loses the ball), Guard (you can apply dice results to this player on opponent’s successful tackle on another player)

Lirklirk is so kind that she doesn’t mind you are a skaven or a goblin. She can pass the ball to anyone. And she is even willing to sacrifice herself to protect her team-mates! A wonderful addition for a team that struggles to stick together.

4- Kappa and Brawler
Star power: 3
Downed star power: 2
Skill icons: Cheating, Tackling, Sprinting
Downed skill icons: Fouling, Tackling
Other abilities: Fan favourite (on the Scoreboard phase, gain 2 fans if this player is present in any matchup)

Kappa is a goblin and Brawler is his squig. Due to the havoc they cause, both are fan favourites. The enemy coach will try to kill them on the spot so you don't earn some fans just by their mere presence. The catch is that Kappa and Brawler are tenacious: while not very difficult to knock down, they only lose 1 SP and also activate a couple of downed skills.
When they are in your team, you could be tempted to play them as your last player in a round. In that case, you lose the oportunity to use Sprinting well and their downed skills.

5- Nargot the Hungry
Star power: 4
Skill icons: Tackling
Downed skill icons: Cheating, Regeneration
Other abilities: When played: one of your players at this matchup becomes injured. If that player was carrying the ball, move the ball to another of your players at this matchup. Then, assign two cheating tokens faceup to this player and discard one of them.

Nargot is always hungry. When he eats one of your players (preferably one of the weakest), he becomes more powerful,and you have some control over it: you can discard ejections and penalties, unless your luck sucks... praise Nuffle! He also lets you move the ball freely between your players.
If the other team successfully tackles him, he can regenerate and accumulating cheating tokens for each time it happens (face down, so everything can happen... praise Nuffle again!)

Well, that’s all for now. I plan to update this and make some changes if needed. Right now, this team could replace Skavens in CWC to playtest it a bit. In the future, Underworld could join Howard Burdet’s Halflings in the LPL, the Little People League
Perhaps with some Ogres (I’ve been thinking about them).

Let me know what do you think about the team.

Thanks for reading this wall of text!! blush goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Castro
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
I love the big wall of text. It sounds intresting, i am curious and am looking forward to see how this team will develop .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesús H
Spain
Torrejón de Ardoz
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So glad you like it! Right now, I have no time for developing this team, but I plan to do it in the near future. The main problem is that I have almost no idea about using photoshop and that kind of software, so I'll have to learn to make a PnP version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lochi Lochi
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jesus, really interested in how far you'll get with my previous owned copy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesús H
Spain
Torrejón de Ardoz
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahahaha! We'll see
The game isn't hitting the table as much as I want but I'm in love with it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troels Panduro
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Go gogo get this team made

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.