Rising Sun» Forums » Variants

Subject: Non discarding unpurchased season cards at the end of season rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jose Olivas
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, I haven't played the game enough to be able to judge, but I thought that keeping abailable for purchase the cards that were not purchased from previous seasons would allow even more variability in the strategies of later seasons. I understand that although earlier cards are less powerful, this would facilitate stacking effects in some cases. It may turn the game into a something a bit crazier but may also incentivise certain strategies that now probably few people would pursue.
I don't think this would be better than the original rules but would make less predictable the game and help somehow create strong strategies that may compete with some of the most powerful now (such as the Fajin + Oni of Spites).
What do you think? Would this variant completely break the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Holman
Sweden
flag msg tools
Haven't played the game yet, but restrictions are not a bad thing in general. Giving too much choice is not good, but try is out and see for your self, but I don't think it'll be that good
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K New Power
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The cards vary with their abilities, which means that a person may become too strong in with the honortrack when some cards give the skills to use honor. But try and see what's happening. It only makes more cards come available with fewer players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mb
I totally understand the temptation, but I don't recommend it. 12 cards each season offers a LOT to choose from, and adding more will, in my opinion, only overwhelm players and exacerbate AP. Also remember, barring any Lotus shenanigans or the card Kami, there will only be 2 opportunities at most for each player to buy cards each season. Even if you end up with like 20-25 cards available by Autumn, each player is still likely only going to be able to buy 2 of them at most.

Furthermore, having the window close encourages players to pursue specific strategies and fully explore them. I think having the unbought cards swept away is a smart design choice.

All that said, your house, your rules!

Edit – another thought: removing the cards can also create a healthy sense of missed opportunities, which to me fuels further replayability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack McNamee
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
Stopping players from getting specific cards is an important part of strategy. For example, having 2 "Righteousness" cards is much better than having 1. The lotus player might choose to bury the "Train" mandate so that no-one can get that second Righteousness card this season. If the cards stay around each season, this part of the strategy would be removed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Olivas
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1002am wrote:
I totally understand the temptation, but I don't recommend it. 12 cards each season offers a LOT to choose from, and adding more will, in my opinion, only overwhelm players and exacerbate AP. Also remember, barring any Lotus shenanigans or the card Kami, there will only be 2 opportunities at most for each player to buy cards each season. Even if you end up with like 20-25 cards available by Autumn, each player is still likely only going to be able to buy 2 of them at most.

Furthermore, having the window close encourages players to pursue specific strategies and fully explore them. I think having the unbought cards swept away is a smart design choice.

All that said, your house, your rules!

Edit – another thought: removing the cards can also create a healthy sense of missed opportunities, which to me fuels further replayability.

Yes I agree, also the issue with stacking abilities. It was only the idea of proposing a crazier mode with more swingy and powerful combos beyond the usual ones). Not something I would recommend unless you are bored of playing tbe regular game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.