Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian P Lewis
United Kingdom
Torquay
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My 8 Year old Son and I have been playing Star Realms a lot,we have just got Hero Realms as well. They are both simplistic in their rules and quick to play.

I already have Marvel Legendary and various DC Deck Builders from Cryptozoic, but am asking to see if there are any other more simplistic deck builders out there that I may have missed, I would have got Thunderstone but it is not available at the moment.

Any other suggestions, can be 1 v 1 or Co-op. No CCGS though as we already play Pokemon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ascension: Deckbuilding Game is quite simple, 100 Swords should be perfect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Waterhouse
United Kingdom
Northwich
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

How about Clank!: A Deck-Building Adventure ?

I've had great success with my family playing this, I think it's my son's favourite at the minute (he is slightly older than yours but short attention span and all that...).

Plays great with 2. Pretty good price on ebay at the moment too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Keller
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mb
The Quest for El Dorado is a fantastic and very simple deck building game about racing through a jungle to get to the destination. The first person to get to the end is the winner (or tie breaker if you both get there on the same turn). The two player version has you controlling two people each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angel H.
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
I just bought a game about economics so that's my financial planning done.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Harry Potter game is a very easy to pick up deck-builder if that's a theme both of you are interested in. It expands the rules and mechanics with each passing year by building on what is already in play, and it's quick to pop in and play a year and then put the game back for another night if need be.

I've found it quite decent on replayability as well.

Edit:

If you like the Flying Frog universe, you might enjoy Dark Gothic. It's quite simple and straightforward in its mechanics, and the fun of trying to battle vampires and werewolves in typical FFG camp is pretty great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian P Lewis
United Kingdom
Torquay
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, should have added we have the Harry Potter Battle for Hogwarts game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools

Century: Spice Road Simple, quick and excellent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Castle
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Super Motherload is a great game with limited deck building that ties into the boardgame element, similar to El Dorado.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toms Leikums
Latvia
Jelgava
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion
Nobody has recommended the good and old Dominion yet. The base game is simple enough and very exciting. Also, if you like it, there would be tons of expansions to buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dale of Merchants
Valley of the Kings

Edit: it might be too difficult for your son.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwill2 wrote:

What? The combos are super complex in this game, keeping track of everything can be tough even for an experienced adult (see Chameleons).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Wayne
msg tools
mb
+1 to Clank!: A Deck-Building Adventure and if he is a good reader then +1 for Dominion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristy Moruso
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Them cards will screw you...
badge
Lil anteater nose!
mbmbmbmbmb
Technically a deckbuilding co-op game, The Big Book of Madness is mostly getting element cards to pay for spells that are always in front of you.
My brother and I got close with this one 2 player but I need to try it with 3+.
The game isn't super complex and requires very little reading, also there's no rules on the information you can provide each other so if anyone needs help you're free to talk it over.
Have fun, also +1 to Dominion and Ascension!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willett
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Ascension: Deckbuilding Game, though it is much like Legendary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duo Maxwell
United States
Antioch
Tennessee
flag msg tools
lol I wouldnt call Clank or Harry Potter "uncomplicated". Sure theyere not hard by any means but not something Id want to try to ply or explain to an 8 year old. If he can handle those he can handle any deck builder
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
duomaxwell007 wrote:
lol I wouldnt call Clank or Harry Potter "uncomplicated". Sure theyere not hard by any means but not something Id want to try to ply or explain to an 8 year old. If he can handle those he can handle any deck builder

If he can handle Star Realms, I see no issue with Harry Potter and Clank seems within reason. The first scenario in Harry Potter is super simple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian P Lewis
United Kingdom
Torquay
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for your replies.

I will be checking out all the suggestions.

He is getting better at Star Realms to get combos, not to take to many colours and the importance of thining the weaker cards from his deck.

Ascension is one I am probably going to get first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
Kwill2 wrote:

What? The combos are super complex in this game, keeping track of everything can be tough even for an experienced adult (see Chameleons).

You don't have to play with the Chameleons and the other animals are pretty straightforward. If he can handle Ascension and Star Realms he can handle DoM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ren3 wrote:
Razoupaf wrote:
Kwill2 wrote:

You don't have to play with the Chameleons and the other animals are pretty straightforward. If he can handle Ascension and Star Realms he can handle DoM.

I don't know, the squirrels and the ocelots can be headscratchers too, and the macaws are easy to play but hard to figure out. And the raccoons being mean can turn them off.
As for the fennecs and the sloths, well...

But I love the game anyway, especially because of those insane combos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tqboz wrote:
Thank you all for your replies.

I will be checking out all the suggestions.

He is getting better at Star Realms to get combos, not to take to many colours and the importance of thining the weaker cards from his deck.

Ascension is one I am probably going to get first.

Also try Trains if you haven't since you own it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.