Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robin Banks
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
M'dear geeks!

I have a problem with my income-to-spending ratio. So I need you guys to point out everything that could make me not want to buy this purdy, purdy game. The biggest problem is I think I would probably love it. Some other, possibly similar, games I love are Heroscape, Arcadia Quest, Summoner Wars (though it's kinda ugly) and Commands and Colors: Ancients.

What I currently have zeroed in on is a God pledge auction, and so far it's going for a pretty darn good price.

HELP ME! zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Duran
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hear this is going to be reprinted - could get a nice deal on a new KS for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry. You're done for. You will absolutely love this game. You owe it to yourself to have it. You're going to have to find something to sell....
whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Guimarães
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
it takes a lot of shelf space
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Eklund
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Waiting for the new KS is much better than buying it now. Besides, Ragnarok will be even better, I'm sure of that.. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Kasper
Germany
Aachen
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
on some of the dashboards the slots are just too wide so the clip won't sit tight.

Seriously, get that game it is awesome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
Konstanz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
13% of owners think Hera figurine is too short. The entire game line is clearly worthless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Castro
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Given the games you mentioned, Summoner wars in particular... you would very likely really enjoy this game. The big questions is are you a Greek or Norse mythology fan? If Greek is your favorite flavor, then you really should consider selling a few of your games (make much needed room and recoup cash) and just wait for the re-print coming out shortly. Although the core box is lovely on it's own, having at least a Pandora box is an amazing "expansion" to variety in the core game. Or you could wait for Ragnarok if fur cloaked warriors is more to your liking.

Another great reason to wait for the MBP re-print is the small mountain of mistakes in the rules, scenarios, player aid and dashboards currently present in this printing. Looks like Mythic Games and QW cached out just in time to not have to deal with any of the FAQ/Errata mess they made. :-(

Hera and Ladon are indeed too small. But giant Hecate and Atalanta make up for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Mazzone
United States
Maspeth
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite a few actual legit reasons to NOT buy it :

1)Price point, especially if you want several of the optional expansions and KS exclusive box (and you will want them!!)

2)Production issues (to name a few...miscut boards, different language rules/translations, missing/broken minis)

3)Non exsistant support (for most people. Just take a glance at the KS comments and youll see people waiting several weeks if not months to get a response for missing and broken items...its quite bad)

4)A newly announced 2nd print KS will hit this year, hopefully fixing the issues mentioned above and possibly offering new content not available in the first run.

I absolutely love the game and was fortunate enough to get quite a bit of the optional buys with zero issues...but Im in the extreme minority, not everyone was so lucky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Delbos
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mb
It's huge and takes up so much space that you'll need to sell your other games. Also, forget about playing anything else once you get this. My recent Gloomhaven and Kingdom Death arrivals remain unopened because I'd rather play MB.

There are loads of ambiguities with the rules which can cause arguments between players. And did I mention that's it's huge? Seriously, I have a whole shelf dedicated to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Baughman

New Hampshire
msg tools
badge
Will Code For Food
mbmbmbmb
It is completely lacking in worker placement and other euro mechanics. Wait for Mythic Battles: Meeple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Duran
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By not buying now, you can save yourself a lot of anguish, waiting and risk. Don't even back the re-print, keep your money in your pocket. In 3 years, you'll know if this game has legs and you can purchase one complete/intact for little to no risk ( depending on the feedback of the seller ). Many people opt for this and don't feel they're losing money. In fact, many game's expansions are selling for less in retail after the KS, so they're even making out. I purchased a complete/intact Lobotomy a month or so back for what it would have cost me to back it ( included KE's, etc ). So while I didn't have my money tied up, didn't have to post hate comments for updates, didn't have to risk incomplete/damaged components, I didn't even have to pay a premium for it ( and there are still many who have not received their game with no response from game company ). Worst case scenario is you have to pay a premium - which for many it's still worth it since you didn't suffer years of aggravation and risk AND the potential to save money to boot if the after market is saturated with games and expansions, retail discounts, etc. The simple fact is, you're really not in a quandary, you won't "pay the price" for missing out on the KS. You'll be left out of 30 days of partying driving up the pledges for SG's, avoid the depression of when the party is over and then years of waiting and delays just to eventually get a game that's jacked. That's EASILY worth $200 premium for which is the most I'm seeing on anything that's not KDM ( and even KDM prices are falling ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Castro
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
?
gelaar wrote:
retail discounts
? I don't foresee a retail version at all, let alone a retail discount. And I think worse case scenario, he'd buy a used copy from eBay for about double the KS price. But it's just a game, so he could definitely live quite happily without the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Sanchez
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This game totally replaces Summoner Wars for me. There's no reason I would ever want to play that game now that I own this. The only thing SW has over MB is the setup time.

I am, however, keeping Arcadia Quest. Just way different games.

Based on the games you mentioned, this should be right up your alley: a tactical skirmish game with drafting and incredible minis. If you're remotely a fan of Greek mythology, I would call this a must buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Duran
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jfc1005 wrote:
?
gelaar wrote:
retail discounts
? I don't foresee a retail version at all, let alone a retail discount. And I think worse case scenario, he'd buy a used copy from eBay for about double the KS price. But it's just a game, so he could definitely live quote happily without the game.

There wont be a retailers pledge, you're saying? He can consider that in the calculation - if no retailer pledge, then maybe consider backing the reprint, but definitely don't pay a premium for the current release.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Castro
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nexbot wrote:
This game totally replaces Summoner Wars for me. There's no reason I would ever want to play that game now that I own this. The only thing SW has over MB is the setup time.

I am, however, keeping Arcadia Quest. Just way different games.

Based on the games you mentioned, this should be right up your alley: a tactical skirmish game with drafting and incredible minis. If you're remotely a fan of Greek mythology, I would call this a must buy.

I would like to point out that you can literally fit summoner wars in your pockets if necessary. One fold up map, dice, few wound tokens and 2 decks. Happy gaming on the move! Also you mean setup AND breakdown time required. But yeah, MBP is very similar to SW in many ways, but I would sells off about half my gaming collection before I give up SW despite having MBP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Best reason not to buy the current copy would be because a reprint is incoming this spring. The reprint *might* possibly include revisions / fixes for the issues found in the the first print run, and that in itself is really the only reason that you'd need. Though there is also a possibility that no corrections would be made.

Also, even if it isnt certain, the reprint might again offer some of the extra game bits like extra dice, extra stat clips, an extra map, and even extra game cards (omphalos & art of war cards) which would enable you to play multiple simultaneous games with your friends (getting extra clips, dice, cards, and the extra map would allow you to play up to 3 simultaneous 4-player games), or start wildly epic battles using 50-point armies for example (not practical by any means but would still be epic nonetheless). The current god pledge (core + pandora + atlas) is limited to 4-players since it only has 13 stat clips for the 51 usable characters that come with it (this total does not include the 13 troops that do not need clips). And this is on top of the chance to buy some of the expansions and possibly even new units.

It might be a little more expensive than the the first run (which is sometimes what happens with reprints), but im guessing it wouldnt be any more than 150USD, with shipping cost already factored in.

Since money is an issue, waiting is your best bet in getting the game without having to overspend. Unless of course you cant wait anymore or can win the auction at about 150USD or less (god pledge should include core game + pandoras box + atlas).

EDIT:
my advice technically isnt to stop ypu from buying the game. because i cant deprive you of a game which i believe is one of the best skirmish games out there. however, i hope it would be enough to help you reconsider your options and hopefully stop you from overspending.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Indiveri
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm happy with my God Pledge. I'm sure the Typhon Pledge would have been "too much" for me - I've not enough space, and for $99 delivered, whoa that God Pledge was a killer deal. There is lots of GAME in COR and PAN. So, I have no desire to seek out those extra items, even after all this time, after playing several games, even with the Full Typhon Draft available.

So if you can get a deal on at least that much, you'll have a nice collection of versatile miniatures. Which leads to the next issue, will you be able to find other players?

So, if yes to space, if yes to other players, I would say that makes it a more difficult decision, to wait, or coin WAY UP to get in now.

Seeing as there are too many opportunists out there, my advice would be to wait it out. But - seek out players NOW and play with their game sets - you will still be part of the journey to the next spin of this product / line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Banks
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Erroll wrote:
It is completely lacking in worker placement and other euro mechanics. Wait for Mythic Battles: Meeple.

M'dear friends! You have given me a bit to think about. (For one, I was not at all aware that Mythic Battles: Meeple is in the works meeple)

However, I may have made a mistake posting this in the Mythic Battles: Pantheon forum! I've seen the ratings for this game, and they are honestly off the chart. Crazy amounts of 10s.

What I am thinking right now:

I have sworn off Kickstarter forever after backing just one game there. I honestly don't have the patience to wait 1 year+ for a bought and paid for game. It's not healthy for me

The deal I'm looking at is currently going for just under 150 USD plus shipping, which I understand is a pretty sweet deal?

You folks really need to step up your persuasion skills if you are serious at stopping me from overspending whistle

Thanks for all the replies though! Appreciate it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ronib wrote:
Erroll wrote:

M'dear friends! You have given me a bit to think about. (For one, I was not at all aware that Mythic Battles: Meeple is in the works meeple)

Have they released any pictures of the miniatures? I'm a little concerned about rumors I heard -- that their sculptors were taking significant liberties with the appearances of certain Meeples...

But definitely looking forward to it, especially if they find a good balance for the Blue Meeple (who was highly OP, last I heard!)

Quote:
I have sworn off Kickstarter forever after backing just one game there. I honestly don't have the patience to wait 1 year+ for a bought and paid for game. It's not healthy for me

Just keep repeating this phase: "It builds character."

Quote:
The deal I'm looking at is currently going for just under 150 USD plus shipping, which I understand is a pretty sweet deal?

Sounds like the seller is basically just recouping costs.

Quote:
You folks really need to step up your persuasion skills if you are serious at stopping me from overspending whistle

Thanks for all the replies though! Appreciate it

If you really want to dodge the bullet, here's how:

Provide all of the information on how to contact the seller. The game will likely be gone in minutes. Problem solved!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Dolan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ronib wrote:

Make sure you're clear on what you're getting. The base Kickstarter pledge was the core game and Pandora's box (and a mini Atlas box) sold as a single unit for $100. However I've seen a few resellers split those up into two different items to make the price look cheaper.

$150 for just the core box without the piles of extras would not be a very good deal if you have to drop another $100-200 for the Pandora stuff that most people got free with the Kickstarter.

On it's own, the core box is a good game, fun tactics, fun mechanics. But it is the huge diversity that come in Pandora's box that puts this thing on another level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Banks
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's pandoras and the titan too. That's what's eating me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Castro
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ronib wrote:
It's pandoras and the titan too. That's what's eating me...

If they are selling Core, Pandora and Atlas for $150, you are quite fortunate since that was the KS cost once you include his/her shipping expense. The upcoming re-print will likely be at a slight cost increase making this a good deal. Not quite as economical as the original KS since you will still be paying for shipping, but darn close and not having to wait for 6 months to a year to get delivery of your re-print definitely has a value associated with it.

There is definitely no lack of variety and depth from just the core and pandora box. Plus if you find that you seriously enjoy the game, you can be in a better position to judge if you want anything else come MB:R in 2019. It's likely take me that long to explore what this game has to offer, let alone finish painting it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Sanchez
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jfc1005 wrote:
There is definitely no lack of variety and depth from just the core and pandora box. Plus if you find that you seriously enjoy the game, you can be in a better position to judge if you want anything else come MB:R in 2019. It's likely take me that long to explore what this game has to offer, let alone finish painting it.

Yeah, that reminds me I gotta make time to paint this sucker. I haven't painted in years, but this is getting painted...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene
msg tools
Well, MBantheon does not seem to be any more deep than many other skirmishes (Warhammer Diskwars, for example) which cost several times less. So they might be wiser choice unless you love those minis and theme :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.