BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Community » BoardGameGeek Community

Subject: Could really use a hand here! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Graham
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey everyone, new to being an active BGG user, so I apologize finally I have a lack of etiquette, or if this is posted in the wrong area, but I am really torn between Blood Rage, Caverna, and Yokohama. I can get them for about the same price, and I know that they are all very different games, but I was just wondering which one is enjoyed by the most people in the community.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
You gave Agricola a high rating. Caverna is a similar and a lot of people think there is no need to own both. (I own both and I think there are enough differences to make it worthwhile to own both).

Blood Rage and Yokohama are both excellent. If I could keep only one, I would probably choose Yokohama. I don't think it is a better game than Blood Rage, but it suits my tastes a little more.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you'd be better off focusing on what the games offer than which ones are popular. They all do different things, so they're likely to appeal to different types of players.

Blood Rage is a area-control/conflict game which is card-based and has drafting.

Caverna is pretty much a friendlier version of Agricola with a few new things. I won't go into this much as you seem familiar with Agricola.

Yokohama is a game about gathering resources and converting them to points, but it's all about planning your route as you have to place meeples on the board to make a chain from one place to another and where the actions you take are modified by how many meeples you have on a spot. Triggering an action removes meeples, so it's a lot of thinking about what you want to do and how to place your guys.

I think many people will have a very obvious preference between Blood Rage and Yokohama. They're not similar games at all. So if you have any feelings about conflict games, drafting, resource collection/conversion games, or games where you have to plan routes, then that's likely to sway you towards one or the other.

If you have and like Agricola, then I'd skip Caverna. It's largely the same game. I don't like it as much because it removes the cards and replaces them with public "caverns" which are unchanging from game to game. It's not a bad game, but Agricola is better. Other people disagree. Even if you disagree, the thing about them being similar means you're not going to get as much "newness" or "variety" if you double-up on what's largely the same game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Graham
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
The stinkwich wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I was leaning away from Caverna, because I already own Agricola, the price was just nearly too good to pass up. I ended up going with Blood Rage, because I think it will be easier to get my non-board game friends to play, due to the theme and minis. Also Yokohama’s price seems to be pretty consistent, so hopefully I can get it at the same cost next week. Appreciate the feedback though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.