Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Hunt for the Ring» Forums » General

Subject: For a game that's supposed to be fairly "easy", why a 40-page rulebook? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From everything i'd read it seemed like this was going to be a fairly easy family game, so i'd kind of been tracking it's progress and waiting for it's release (which has now happened)...

but i also was def not expecting a 40-page rulebook either...is there an included player-aid (or something) that trims this down to maybe 2-3 pages? or even a BGG User-created aid somewhere?

thanks...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook is a much smaller format than the standard size-of-the-box affairs. This makes it much easier to read but does result in more pages.

There are also a lot of illustrated examples of play in the rulebook as well - about half the rulebook is either examples of play, flavour illustrations, glossary, cover-pages and 2 pages devoted to extending the game into 'War of the Ring' which you don't need to read for to play the game.

I thought the rulebook was pretty good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hated the rulebook. Its just like War of the Ring rulebook. It repeats itself constantly, but rarely thoroughly, meaning that truth is written for a rule across multiple pages. Horrible rulebook design :/

Both War of the Ring and Hunt for the Ring could have had rulebooks half the size they are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, they seem to turn the "maximum verbosity" setting up to 11 when they're writing rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sequella Deville
msg tools
What widespread consensus determined that it's an easy family game?

The rulebook is very well written and exceptionally clear and organized. There are also player aids for each player that summarize core principles. Getting hung up on page count is self defeating.

If you want a player aid that's halfway between the player aids that are already included and the stellar manual, there'll be one eventually in the files section (like there are for pretty much every game on BGG). Or you can ask the Esoteric Order of Gamers to create their usual high quality player aids like they've been doing for gamers for years.

https://www.orderofgamers.com/games/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sequella Deville
msg tools
Slashdoctor wrote:
I hated the rulebook. Its just like War of the Ring rulebook. It repeats itself constantly, but rarely thoroughly, meaning that truth is written for a rule across multiple pages. Horrible rulebook design :/

The assertion that "truth is written for a rule across multiple pages" is flat out wrong, if by that you're suggesting that it spreads rule definitions out carelessly. It does not.

It's also more than thorough with its approach to explaining terms logically and clearly. It's rather odd that the lament of its page count juxtaposes on the wailing about its not being thorough. One could not be farther off from truth than that.

It's a well written manual, a model of how rulebooks should be written.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Speers
United States
Liberty Lake
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a player aid that was posted on BGG here:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/159436/hunt-ring-play...

Haven't played but glanced through the rule book just now and didn't seem too bad.

Also the last 5 pages has a reference section as well as a "how to play with War of the Ring". Overall you are looking at about 32-ish pages of rules within a smaller format.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
John_VW wrote:
From everything i'd read it seemed like this was going to be a fairly easy family game, so i'd kind of been tracking it's progress and waiting for it's release (which has now happened)...

It's not a 'fairly easy family game', and I have never seen it marketed as such.

People saying it's simple are mostly contrasting it with other Ares games in the War of the Ring line. It's definitely much easier to learn and play than War of the Ring (especially with expansions) or Battle of Five Armies.

That said, 'family game' is a pretty poorly defined term. It's definitely suitable for my family but then our 'kids' are 17 and 19. It's recommended age is 12+ and I'd say that's about right (obviously all kids are different; some 12 year olds might struggle and some 10 year olds or even younger might manage it OK).

I would say the fact there can be multiple players on the same side would make it a bit more family friendly if the younger players are on the Nazgul side so they have help.

If you want a simpler LotR game, Confrontation is good and much simpler. It's only 2 players though, so I'd not class that as a family game either.

In short - the game is easy enough for what it is; a highly thematic LotR hidden movement game with some elements in common with War of the Ring, which plays 2-5 players. But some people have definitely portrayed it as being a bit simpler than it actually is. It's a medium-weight game on most people's scale I should think; currently rated 2.8/5 on BGG, albeit there's only 5 votes so far.

So moving on...

Quote:
but i also was def not expecting a 40-page rulebook either...is there an included player-aid (or something) that trims this down to maybe 2-3 pages? or even a BGG User-created aid somewhere?

thanks...

There are player aids on the Gandalf and Witch-King cards which show the turn structure. Other cards give reminders of what the different actions do. There is also a pretty comprehensive glossary in the back of the rules. So there's lots of player help during play.

Don't get hung up on the number of pages:

1. You don't need to read all of them to crack on with Part 1, which ends on p25.

2. The book is somewhere between A4 and A5, so considerably smaller sized pages than most.

3. Of the first 25 pages, 4 pages are just showing the components and 5 pages are taken up with illustrated examples.

4. At least another page or two are taken up with illustrations showing the components being discussed (in addition to the components list itself) so you can see what's being explained as you read.

With all those combined, to play Part 1 you really only read about 15 at the most, which would be about 10 pages of A4 at most.

All in all, it's really not as bad as it might appear on a quick scan of the PDF, and it's definitely nowhere near as difficult to follow as at least 1 reviewer suggested.

Hair Brained Games did a good discussion of the rulebook and I agree with everything he said:

https://youtu.be/Jt-9GrCV9Qs?t=47m12s
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems like a large manual. They probably could have condensed it a bit. Yes there seems to be a lot of repetition but i like that because it gets into your head. I also agree there are lots of examples which is SOOOOO helpful. Overall it seems well written. I havent opened the components so i did t see a summary.

Honestly ive been going through the manual just typing up notes. Ill probably hit 5 pages of summary when im done (just not.motivated to finish lol)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
There is no try...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have anything to add other than an FYI - This same criticism was discussed in a recent Dice Tower review, and the designers chimed in with their thoughts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
Yeah, they seem to turn the "maximum verbosity" setting up to 11 when they're writing rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Durkin
United States
Corte Madera
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:

thanks...

Did the "everything you read" include the rulebook itself?

Here it is:
http://www.aresgames.eu/19634

Give it a look and you can decide if it's a game that suits you. I think it's a great rulebook, it comes with player references, and I'm enjoying the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.