Subject: Twilight Zone 'feel' game recommendations rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben E
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
A friend of mine is having a Twilight Zone screening evening, and wanted recommendations for games to play after to compliment. I'm afraid I don't have a list of episodes they have in mind for the screening, which would be helpful for direct tie-ins, so anything with an eerie/unheimlich vibe would be the thing.
Cheers.

Edit: headcount is around 8, with a mixture of experienced and novice gamers, with a 30 minute preferred playtime. So something party-ish would be a good shout, given the parameters, but splitting the group is certainly a possibility. There will also be screened some 60s-era tv adverts (commercials), and sci-fi film trailers for mood-setting, along with the main TZ event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go with games with hidden teams or objectives, betrayal, any games where you have to watch the actions of others.
Secret Hitler comes to mind and its theme fits some episodes too
Ca$h 'n Guns (Second Edition)
Saboteur
Leaders of Euphoria: Choose a Better Oppressor - I havent played this one yet but from what I've seen it seems like it would fit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A M
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the more generally "eerie" category, I'd recommend Elder Sign. It's Lovecraftian horror, not exactly Twilight Zone-style creepiness, but might do the trick. Ditto for Betrayal at House on the Hill, with the same caveat.

And you get tipped for using "unheimlich."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remus Rhymus
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I think that this situation absolutely requires
badge
a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mysterium?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
remus wrote:

And/or Dixit
There are some truly surreal creepy images in that one...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk K

New Kensington
Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can think of a lot of games that can fit into the themes covered throughout the Twilight Zone, but that player count really narrows it down.

I'd say Mysterium, as some have already suggested, or something in the "One Night Ultimate" series- Werewolf, Vampire, or Alien. Maybe mix and match from the three to give it a broader, Twilight Zone-ish feel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
murjani1 wrote:

You could scout out a particularly twilight-zonesque scenario in advance and have people play that one. The scenarios are each so different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
Fiji
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mu suggestion would be A Study in Emerald (second edition). Hidden roles, creepy theme, and really good gameplay. It gives me the feeling of not really knowing what is going on until it is too late. Very Twilight Zone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Thiede
Germany
flag msg tools
In the ballroom
badge
一緒に遊ぼうよ!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, while I would love for Mysterium to fit, it is too much on the scary side - same for the Lovecraft games.

I would go for Werewolf/Mafia (not One Night). You can easily print-and-play eight stylistically b&w cards and it would be a game very much in the wane of "Would the real Martian please stand up" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_the_Real_Martian_Please_S...).

You might just wanna make convince your friend that episode should be part of the viewing, as it's a) a classic and b) an awesome fit. :-D

Other than that, you might be able to go for TIME Stories (Case 1 is set in an Asylum) or a fitting Escape Room board game (maybe the Thinkfun games might work). However, Werewolf would be the better party game for 8.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Lam
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never played it but what about Tragedy Looper
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.