Empire Builder» Forums » General

Subject: Looking for Recommendations rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colonel Kestrel
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
So I loved Empire Builder - there's just something about optimizing and beating other players to laying track and then racing to deliver goods along it. I was wondering if people had recommendations along the lines of "if you liked Empire Builder, you might also like..." outside of the Mayfair crayon train games. My only critiques are that the play time is long (without changing starting/ending money movement like a lot of folks have) and that there isn't a ton of player interaction/randomness introduced to the game so my friends aren't always excited to play it. Anybody have any suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Brown
United States
Carmel
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For a much quicker game with building track and delivering goods, you may take a look at Spike. I enjoy it.

Also for building track (no delivery), you might try 20th Century Limited. It is well received in my family, and played quite a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCue
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like Railway Rivals, a.k.a. Dampfross/Dampfross 2. These have somewhat more player interaction than Empire Builder, in that you can form partnerships for the runs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david landes
United States
oak hill
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I strongly recommend you take a look at Amazonas.

A more popular game and likely more available is Elfenland.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Steam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Empire Express pretty much replaced EB and its siblings for me. I enjoy knocking out a 4p game in an hour.

Another game that features some of the pickup-and-deliver logistics, but not route-building, is the oft-overlooked Africana.

Both are lighter than EB, not heavier. And neither adds a lot of interaction, although Africana does offer shared goals that you race for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
United States
Huntington Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Railways of the World or Steam. Steam if your group is full of gamers and Railways of the World if it's mixed with casual players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you still want to have the early game tightness of money, Age of Steam would be the way to go.

If you want to actually have a vehicle that you are moving around the board, perhaps give a look to Kings of Air and Steam.

Both of these games are played over a fixed number of turns a will lose some of the Race aspects of final scoring.

If you are interested in the pick up and deliver part and less the route building, there are a number of games that could be added to a list of recommendations.

And if you don't care much about pick up and deliver but want route building games, there are a number of them, many have been mentioned in this thread already.

The Oracle of Delphi has the racing and the pick up and deliver.

Between Route Building, Pick Up and Deliver and Racing, are there 2 mechanics you care about more than the others?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCue
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My family and I really like Streetcar. I don't know how easy it is to find these days, but it's about to get harder with Mayfair closing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Blanchett
Australia
Clifton Hill
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shit mayfair is closing????

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.