Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
135 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Kelly on the Hot Seat rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andre
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


So not only is his Staff Secretary accused of being a wifebeater, the two wives come forward, and tell their story. Not only that, but apparently they told their story to the FBI almost a year ago, and Porter was having a difficult time getting a security clearance. Now it turns out, Kelly knew since this past fall (or should have known) that Porter had this issue hanging over his head. Kelly simply looked the other way, because, apparently, Porter was good at what he did professionally.

Then Kelly issues two statements, only hours apart. The first a glowing accolade about Porter, mentioning nothing about the abuse allegations (in reality, they are more than allegations, backed up by police reports, pictures, and direct testimony by the two women involved). Hours later, both he and Orrin Hatch backstep, Hatch issuing a more robust statement indicating that abuse is abhorrent, and they are saddened by the reports of the abuse. Kelly, meh, no sign of a scathing rebuke of the abuse, simply a statement that indicates they are "shocked" to hear it, laughs, as if it's brand new news, that they likely don't already know.

Meanwhile, Porter was handling just about every top secret document that was crossing the Presidents desk.

And it gets worse. Apparently, Hope Hicks was partially responsible for drafting the first Kelly memo (the accolade about Porter), when in reality, she is in an alleged relationship with Porter.

Trump has brought his television show drama to the White House. shake
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I am glad he is out, but I don't think the story has legs past 'yep still a shitshow' who cares if he was handling top secret documents? You can be a controlling piece of shit at home, and yet very organized and functional at work.

It's an intermission in the larger Trump dumpsterfire.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Some better tell hicks to watch her back and face and...

(Yep, I know it's a bit of a sick joke.)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
"Captain, although your abilities intrigue me, you are quite honestly inferior"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
I am glad he is out, but I don't think the story has legs past 'yep still a shitshow' who cares if he was handling top secret documents? You can be a controlling piece of shit at home, and yet very organized and functional at work.

It's an intermission in the larger Trump dumpsterfire.
The reason this comes up for his Security Clearance is that when someone has bad things like this that can ruin their career in their closet they can be blackmailed by foreign interests into passing copies of things like classified documents.
16 
 Thumb up
0.30
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Very legal & very cool
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This really is the Keystone Kops presidency.

8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/07/politics/rob-porter-white-hou...

Sources confirm that Kelly new about the abuse allegations, but looked the other way. I don't think the pressure should end quickly. This is a guy, that wouild apparently ignore negative behavior by an inner circle member of the Administration. Not only could the guy hae been compromised, but it shows that they are willing to ignore bad behavior, when expedient.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Professional Agitation Consultant... HTTP Error 418 I'm a Teapot!
Avatar
mbmb
"Hope Hicks was partially responsible for drafting the first Kelly memo (the accolade about Porter), when in reality, she is in an alleged relationship with Porter."

she had to say nice things about him , else he may have beat her.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The lack of security clearance with access to secure information seems most problematic.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
"Captain, although your abilities intrigue me, you are quite honestly inferior"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dkearns wrote:
The lack of security clearance with access to secure information seems most problematic.
For Kelly and the administration yes, but I'm not sure it is more problematic than Porter being a wife-beating scumbag. We should have some bar as to who can work in the White House, I know Trump contradicts that but, I mean, I'm all for giving people a second chance and if the White House gardeners needed a manure shoveler, the guy should be given a shot to be a contributing part of society.

I do get though that we have to play the National Security angle hard because the Evangelists who have Trumps's ear who are willing to let pedophiles into Congress aren't going to blink an eye against a man who has old-timey wife-beating family values. Beating up his wives isn't going to cause much concern for those "moral" stalwarts, so we have to go after the practical angle that he is ALSO a risk for our safety.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Republican mantra since 1998: " Yes, the ends do justify the means."
16 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well vetting isn’t a thing with this administration.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
I am glad he is out, but I don't think the story has legs past 'yep still a shitshow' who cares if he was handling top secret documents? You can be a controlling piece of shit at home, and yet very organized and functional at work.

It's an intermission in the larger Trump dumpsterfire.


Who cares? Maybe he’s a security risk prone to blackmail. Maybe he’s an abusive asshole that shouldn’t be trusted with anything important because he can’t be trusted to control himself - even when the bar is set as low as simply not beating your wife. Seriously why can’t you see that.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So now we have spousal abuse.

What's the over/under on the next "no big" violent crime with these people?

I'm holding out for murder 2, 10 to 1.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sue_G wrote:
Shadrach wrote:
I am glad he is out, but I don't think the story has legs past 'yep still a shitshow' who cares if he was handling top secret documents? You can be a controlling piece of shit at home, and yet very organized and functional at work.

It's an intermission in the larger Trump dumpsterfire.


Who cares? Maybe he’s a security risk prone to blackmail. Maybe he’s an abusive asshole that shouldn’t be trusted with anything important because he can’t be trusted to control himself - even when the bar is set as low as simply not beating your wife. Seriously why can’t you see that.


Was this meant for someone else or did you just miss the first sentence of my post?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I read all the terrible things in the OP, and yet I do not see how in the world this damages Kelly's status. It's not like this is a Democratic administration.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir wrote:
I read all the terrible things in the OP, and yet I do not see how in the world this damages Kelly's status. It's not like this is a Democratic administration.


I think the gist is that Kelly knew specifics for over a year and did nothing about it, including singing Porter's praises.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bbenston wrote:
hibikir wrote:
I read all the terrible things in the OP, and yet I do not see how in the world this damages Kelly's status. It's not like this is a Democratic administration.


I think the gist is that Kelly knew specifics for over a year and did nothing about it, including singing Porter's praises.


I take hibikir's post as sarcasm, simply missing the green font.

Although in truth, he is right, in that this is typical of the Trump Administration. I was watching CNN, and one guy had it right, claiming that The White House is handling this as bad PR operations (various conflicting statements, etc...), as opposed to bad behavior that should be condemned (both on the part of Porter for abusing women, and on the part of Kelly for ignoring that fact).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
Sue_G wrote:
Shadrach wrote:
I am glad he is out, but I don't think the story has legs past 'yep still a shitshow' who cares if he was handling top secret documents? You can be a controlling piece of shit at home, and yet very organized and functional at work.

It's an intermission in the larger Trump dumpsterfire.


Who cares? Maybe he’s a security risk prone to blackmail. Maybe he’s an abusive asshole that shouldn’t be trusted with anything important because he can’t be trusted to control himself - even when the bar is set as low as simply not beating your wife. Seriously why can’t you see that.


Was this meant for someone else or did you just miss the first sentence of my post?


I highlighted the part of your post that I was responding to it. If you didn't mean, who cares, then I don't why you typed that. Yes, you're glad he's out but you seem to think the story is a big nothing burger. And you went further and stated the guy could have been "very organized and functional at work," completely ignoring the obvious problems with assuming that. Including potential for blackmail and temperament issues that could affect how he HANDLES top secret information.

So give me a break, Josh. It was meant for you.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sue_G wrote:
Shadrach wrote:
Sue_G wrote:
Shadrach wrote:
I am glad he is out, but I don't think the story has legs past 'yep still a shitshow' who cares if he was handling top secret documents? You can be a controlling piece of shit at home, and yet very organized and functional at work.

It's an intermission in the larger Trump dumpsterfire.


Who cares? Maybe he’s a security risk prone to blackmail. Maybe he’s an abusive asshole that shouldn’t be trusted with anything important because he can’t be trusted to control himself - even when the bar is set as low as simply not beating your wife. Seriously why can’t you see that.


Was this meant for someone else or did you just miss the first sentence of my post?


I highlighted the part of your post that I was responding to it. If you didn't mean, who cares, then I don't why you typed that. Yes, you're glad he's out but you seem to think the story is a big nothing burger. And you went further and stated the guy could have been "very organized and functional at work," completely ignoring the obvious problems with assuming that. Including potential for blackmail and temperament issues that could affect how he HANDLES top secret information.

So give me a break, Josh. It was meant for you.


Okay, t was meant for me. I think there's a bit too much handwringing. As if anyone with governmental interest in blackmail couldn't just craft some from whole cloth as needs demanded.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Here is what FOX News is saying about the fact that Kelly knew about Porter for months, and did nothing about it;




1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
...who cares if he was handling top secret documents? You can be a controlling piece of shit at home, and yet very organized and functional at work.


He had access to the most sensitive documents in the government and he had issues in his past that he was hiding, making him susceptible to blackmail. I don't give a damn how organized he was - he had no business working in a role that demands a security clearance that he couldn't get.

More importantly, there is no way that Preibus and then Kelly did not know this - one of their top staffers failed his background check for a clearance and the Chief of Staff would be informed. Yet they allowed him to continue to work and said nothing to anyone. The PR hit alone would be bad enough. Couple that with the clearance issues and it's really serious.

Quote:
It's an intermission in the larger Trump dumpsterfire.


No, it's really not. Were this a Democratic administration, we'd already have hearings appearing on the calendar as GOP chairmen in the House scramble to get their pound of flesh.
16 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Professional Agitation Consultant... HTTP Error 418 I'm a Teapot!
Avatar
mbmb
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I heard tonight on the radio that

a) Mr. Trump denied any knowledge of this and did not give approval for the handling of documents higher than top secret.
b) the chiefs of staff and other officials knew this and okayed this person holding and passing on documents higher than top secret to the president.
c) no one except the FBI or president can give that approval.

So someone should be in big trouble for illegally allowing this wife beater access to documents so highly classified that per a u.s. congressman even the *name* of the secrecy level is above top secret level.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
"Captain, although your abilities intrigue me, you are quite honestly inferior"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
Okay, t was meant for me. I think there's a bit too much handwringing. As if anyone with governmental interest in blackmail couldn't just craft some from whole cloth as needs demanded.
But the actual security clearance process, which looks for actual exploitable weaknesses in people, does include things like this as red flags. Things that our own (counter)intelligence services would exploit in other countries and things that have actually been used to exploit our own citizens. Things like this are not conjecture, people have been blackmailed into being coerced spies based on information very much like this. Sometimes for something as trivial as relative crushing debt.

It is the rule of low hanging fruit, why weave a complex web of fragile lies to frame someone when stupid government officials let actual exploitable scumbags into sensitive areas of information? Who needs to try and hack an offsite email server when you can get someone with access to print off what you need? I hope that conservatives who blew out forehead veins about Hillary's email server are frothing about Kelly/Porter. This a far more grievous security breach and poor judgment.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.