Hide
12 Posts

Firefly: The Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Secret missions....sshhhh! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Roberts
msg tools
Doesn't work for me as my gaming is solo, but anyone tried playing with different individual goals in a multi-player game?

For example goals 1 and 2 differ by player but goal 3 is common or say some players are playing 1st time in the captains chair while someone else's goal is to behave like Blackbeard in Space. (Aaarrr!)

Could give everyone their own individual story cards at the start of the game (keep them secret or not) or even put goal cards in the supply/local colour/everyone's got a story decks to turn up during the game. Could shake things up a bit.

I'm late to this party, someone's probably already thought of it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Tronstad
Sweden
Wolverine City, Solna, Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Like the idea! Maybe to have several smaller Goals that doesn't take all day to complete and use those in quick games. Could evolve to a series of games (sprints) where you keep score on number of won "sprints" instead of playing through a full Story card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
the different story cards just vary too much for this to really work. And some require an entirely diffeerent setup, or special story-specific rules/mechanics to be followed.

I do think a Secret Mission setup could be fun, but I think it would work better to have one story card that explains the Secret Mission setup, and then have a "Goal deck" that had a random variety of goals, but with each goal being roughly equal to the others in terms of overall difficulty.

Players would then draw or be dealt a certain number of goals at the start (which would be explained on the story card), and once they met the requirements on that goal, they'd reveal that goal card to all players and claim a Goal token. Then the first player to complete all their goals wins or something to that effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Definitely an interesting idea. I've toyed with similar things - typically with players having totally different objectives - but had not thought about folks having different paths to the same goal. That could be pretty interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had an idea a while back for a way to run a continuous Firefly game at an event, like a convention. You have a "Goal Deck". Players can drop in any time, pick a Captain, Ship, Starting Location, and an empty seat. Draw a Goal Card, and start flying.

They finish their Goal, they get up and wander off to do something else, perhaps with a nice certificate stating they're captain of a spaceship, probably not with their real name on it. Crew and Gear go back into their respective discard piles. Someone else takes their seat. Nice little intro to the game.

You can make it more competitive by giving each player a Turn token (poker chip, marble, cookie, etc.) each turn. Finishing your Goal in the least amount of turns would "win". Alternately, you can use Turn tokens to limit how long any one player can sit at the table to allow others to get in.

For a more regular game, you can deal each player multiple Goal Cards that they must complete. Or, you treat the Goal Cards like Job Cards (Consider 3, Keep up to 2), and the ultimate Goal is to have the most completed within a turn or time limit or "First to Five" or whatever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan kilgore
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I plan on bringing FF to the next game convention in Tempe this June http://expo.consimworld.com/. I might have a couple of days free to try something like this. Please talk it up some more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Jandt
United States
Watertown
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this. Kind of like the Personal Goals in Gloomhaven.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nathnkilgore wrote:
I plan on bringing FF to the next game convention in Tempe this June http://expo.consimworld.com/. I might have a couple of days free to try something like this. Please talk it up some more.

Oddly enough for a demo game, you probably want to run both the big expansions, and of course all the ships. Probably not any of the customs - just because you want to give folks a taste of the basic game.

Really then, the only extra materials you need are the Goal cards, and whatever method of turn tracking you wish to use. Poker chips are sort of fitting and easy to get in quantity and cheap. You can give each player a stack of 20, and they "spend" one to do their turn.

Goal cards can be things like:
"Get Solid with 3 Contacts"
"Deliver $7000 to [Contact]"
"Do a Job for Badger, and pass a
6 8+ on the Alliance Cruiser
"
"Complete 2 Crime Jobs and retire to Meridian with $10000"
"Deliver 5 Passengers each to Meridian and Beumonde"

They won't all be balanced. Some will be harder or faster than others, and that's OK. Think of it as a "sampler platter of Firefly experiences"

You can print the Goal cards on index cards, or work something up and have them professionally printed as a card deck. All depends on how fancy you want to get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hudson
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was in a game once were we all tried different goal cards (used ones with the same time on the bottom). It was defiantly different and interesting and we all remained competitive, but i would not call it balanced. If you play with the same group often and your all good sprited, it's fun to try once. Mind you, we have a fellow in our group who likes to start with crew and tried to say that starting with Mal, Zoe, the Tams, and Jayne (with rifle) was perfectly fair if the rest of us started with the same price amount in crew. yeah..

So...if you can get past stuff like that, this is a fun one-shot variant. :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolf
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe the Legends of the Verse variant posted in the files section could be what you're looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
wolf555 wrote:
Maybe the Legends of the Verse variant posted in the files section could be what you're looking for.

This is what came to my mind as well. Check out the thread here:
Legend of The Verse Goal
And the cards file:
Legends of the Verse cards in pdf
And then check these bad boys out:

I've been trying the wrangle the files for these from their creator ever since 2015.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kepler
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dbolyard wrote:
wolf555 wrote:

This is what came to my mind as well. Check out the thread here:
Legend of The Verse Goal
And the cards file:
Legends of the Verse cards in pdf
And then check these bad boys out:

I've been trying the wrangle the files for these from their creator ever since 2015.

Wrangle harder! Those are suh-weet!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.