Subject: Should I continue rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mark 2c
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
I've read through the directions and started watching videos of play throughs. I feel as if I may never catch on well enough for the game to flow and play in a normal amount of time. My question is, is this game worth the hype to devote more time to understanding the rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John D.
United States
flag msg tools
Sola Fide.
badge
Remembering the men of the USS Frank E. Evans.
mbmbmbmbmb
Only you know what's right for you. That said...yes, yes, a thousand times: yes.

The great thing about the game is once you get into the actual play of it, it all makes sense, in a very logical way. You use the chain of command because to do so gives you more commands and, thus, makes sense. You draw cards in a way that feels organic. Your men react in a certain way because it feels like what you would do. Stop getting bogged down in the rules; you'll never get to the game. Simplify it, and don't sweat it when you miss something; you can always pick it up later.

Here's my advice:
Fire up Counter Attack's excellent video of "Fields of Fire - WW2 - Trévières Offensive - Turn 1 of 10" on YouTube, set up your game, and just play along with him. Even if your terrain cards aren't the same, it's fine, because following along will show you exactly where to find what you need as you play. It's the flow of the game that matters, and you'll soon have it down. If you really want to replicate a certain card, it's easy enough to pause the video and find it, as it's clear enough to see the numbers. But whether you want to be that precise or not, do it right along with him: if he draws a card, you draw a card - you're building muscle memory.

After a few months of reading enhanced rules, watching countless videos, and enduring false starts only to be faced with analysis paralysis, that's what finally got me going. It was worth the effort, and I hope it will be for you, too. Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Knott
United States
Blacksburg
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know.. the game is different for sure so it's hard to pull from experience of other games to pick up the rules, but... It's not really that complicated. I've watched all the videos and it's really just that easy. It's very formulaic and step by step. The hard part about the videos is they don't do a great job of showing you where to find the tables, etc they're referencing. Those things don't change however, so once you find them - they're not going to move.

Anyway, I come from a background of ASL so perhaps I'm skewed, but FoF is not really not complicated. It's just different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John D.
United States
flag msg tools
Sola Fide.
badge
Remembering the men of the USS Frank E. Evans.
mbmbmbmbmb
Javaslinger wrote:
The hard part about the videos is they don't do a great job of showing you where to find the tables, etc they're referencing.

That's why I recommended the Counter Attack videos; it's really easy to see where he's finding his tables.

I've been thinking about making a series that breaks the game elements down in a simple way, but I have a lousy camera with a ton of white noise. I'll have to do a test video and see how it turns out...this thread (and countless others, along with my own experiences trying to learn the game) make me think some might find it useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Hey, you're touching my face...
mbmbmbmbmb
I notoriously struggle with rules and this was no different. Took me a couple of sittings to even figure out how to set the game up properly (and there are still a couple things I'm not sure about).

BUT... once I started going through the sequence of play and just taking things one step at a time, A LOT of it came together and made a lot of sense. I still have a lot to learn as I haven't even gotten past the 1st mission, but I'm already loving it. The narrative is fantastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Åkerlund
Sweden
Vallentuna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

It totally depends on what kind of board gamer you are. You need to be patient and you probably need to be comfortable reading and re-reading rules and searching forums. It's also an advantage if you don't mind "making up your own rules" every now and then.

I like that this game is so unique and that it often creates a great narrative. What I don't like is that the rules are fairly poorly written and that important information is simply missing. If there ever is another major overhaul of the rules, I would definitely give this game two thumbs up.

As a side note, I would recommend new players who are trying to get into the game to start with the Normandy campaign but skip the tedious Patrol missions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hastings
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joestin wrote:
I notoriously struggle with rules and this was no different. Took me a couple of sittings to even figure out how to set the game up properly (and there are still a couple things I'm not sure about).

BUT... once I started going through the sequence of play and just taking things one step at a time, A LOT of it came together and made a lot of sense. I still have a lot to learn as I haven't even gotten past the 1st mission, but I'm already loving it. The narrative is fantastic.

Following the SOP is important to learning it, there were a few things that I expected to be able to do based on just reading the rules that was cleared up by following the SOP.

If you want a good solo experience this one is hard to beat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For this game (and most complex games, for that matter) I take the approach of setting up the game and playing through it along with a YouTube walkthrough or two a couple of times. This gives you correct execution memory and gets your hands dirty in having to place chits in certain situations, looking on tables, phase order, etc..

After that, I usually sit and do a good read of the rules. This has the benefit of having context after 'playing' the game a couple times through the walkthroughs, and usually answers a bunch of questions I did not know I had.

This is what works for me. YMMV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Senn
United States
Fort Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SpiderFighter wrote:
Only you know what's right for you. That said...yes, yes, a thousand times: yes.

The great thing about the game is once you get into the actual play of it, it all makes sense, in a very logical way. You use the chain of command because to do so gives you more commands and, thus, makes sense. You draw cards in a way that feels organic. Your men react in a certain way because it feels like what you would do. Stop getting bogged down in the rules; you'll never get to the game. Simplify it, and don't sweat it when you miss something; you can always pick it up later.

Here's my advice:
Fire up Counter Attack's excellent video of "Fields of Fire - WW2 - Trévières Offensive - Turn 1 of 10" on YouTube, set up your game, and just play along with him. Even if your terrain cards aren't the same, it's fine, because following along will show you exactly where to find what you need as you play. It's the flow of the game that matters, and you'll soon have it down. If you really want to replicate a certain card, it's easy enough to pause the video and find it, as it's clear enough to see the numbers. But whether you want to be that precise or not, do it right along with him: if he draws a card, you draw a card - you're building muscle memory.

After a few months of reading enhanced rules, watching countless videos, and enduring false starts only to be faced with analysis paralysis, that's what finally got me going. It was worth the effort, and I hope it will be for you, too. Cheers!

Thanks for putting this video tutorial on my radar. The more playthroughs i can find to help me out the better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.