Recommend
41 
 Thumb up
 Hide
78 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG General

Subject: What would happen if board game geeks rated and reviewed sports? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: SAQ [+] [View All]
Nano
msg tools
Avatar
I'm guessing it would go something like this:


"Basketball" is a nice game overall, fun and interactive, but it needs a fix in the scoring system: the runaway leader effect is so strong, that I could do nothing but watch the last 12 minutes knowing I had no chance at all to win. I don't know, maybe houseruling that points in the last quarter are scored 4x. Will give this a try and report back, guys.


"Cycling" reminds me of "Golf": this is actually a multiplayer solo game; no interaction in a game in the 21th century? I see no point in playing this with friends, I'd rather play a true solo game. GTFO, cycling.


This is a Euro game. The scoring system escalates badly and needs tweaking: once you're a couple of goals ahead, the game is over for the other team. Also, the penalties system is quite arbitrary and doesn't escalate well either: not well balanced, player elimination kills this game.



A symmetrical game, but heavily imbalanced in favor of the first player. There's a good game in there, but it seems like it's half baked: I seriously suspect this was not beta-tested enough by the designer.


The theme in this one will not appeal everyone. Supports just 2 players. Also, the scoring system in the end is a pain to keep up.


This is a very expensive game. Players here are prone to analysis paralysis, be warned. They should've included a timer with the game in order to limit the AP.


The theme is clearly pasted on. Very dry. Left me cold.


This is an Ameritrash "push your luck" game, rince and repeat.


Mechanics and theme are not well integrated in this game: so I have a sword in my hand, but I can't pierce or slash my opponent in two? Lame!


This "football" game is the perfect example of the alpha player syndrome, otherwise known as "quarteback effect".



So my chances at victory depend on the car I drive more than on my piloting skills? This is a dice fest. Also, allows for king making in the end.



Mechanics don't fit well together: it's like if someone took the worst parts of soccer and basket, and threw them together... A cheap rip-off, banking on the success of its predecessors.


After a couple of games with experienced players, I discovered how easily some parts were broken.


This is one of the most hyped games ever (but only if you live in Western Europe or South America). Actually, it's a party game.


This is a soulless Eurogame: lacks theme, as you could be running for a hundred of different reasons but the game doesn't provide a thematic one; it's all about the mechanics. Would improve with killers behind you or something similar.


No, seriously: don't we have already enough pushing cubes games?


"Tennis" desperately needs a fix in the scoring system: in this broken game, it's possible to lose while actually scoring more times than your rival, but because of stupid and illogical scoring system, only some points are scored in the end. In the box it's written 2-4 players, but actually doesn't support 3 players.


The succes of this game is heavily group dependent, table talk required.


Not sure what this game is trying to accomplish, but there are much better sports out there that give the same feeling in a smaller amount of time, like running or biking. If I'd be in a hurry, I'd play Formula 1 for a similar experience.


Nice artwork overall, but no real strategy.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Bravo.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghost CoD wrote:
"Basketball" is a nice game overall, fun and interactive, but it needs a fix in the scoring system: the runaway leader effect is so strong, that I could do nothing but watch the last 12 minutes knowing I had no chance at all to win.
This isn't an example of a runaway leader problem... just someone doing well. A runaway leader problem is when doing well early gives you an advantage so that you're more likely to do well going forward. So that once someone starts doing well it snowballs into an insurmountable advantage.

For example, imagine a game where winning an auction gives you tons of benefits, including a way to generate income. Once someone wins the first auction, they start generating more income than other people making it more likely they can win another auction. And when they win another auction they skew becomes more pronounced, until eventually they've won enough auctions that their income is just way more than everyone else's and it's clear that they'll win every auction. It's not just that they're ahead of everyone else... it's that the game is skewed so that no matter what else happens (even if you extended the game forever) there's no way anyone else could ever catch up. That income advantage in the hypothetical game would just continue to get worse the longer the game goes.

In your basketball example, if you extended the game to forever, it's conceivable that the other team could comeback. Sure, you have a huge lead, but there's nothing about the game itself that's preventing you from coming back. When there is, that's a runaway leader problem.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ravage Board Gaming
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't need to differentiate football by calling it "soccer" if you're then going to refer to hand-egg as "american football".
10 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nano
msg tools
Avatar
Thunkd wrote:
Ghost CoD wrote:
"Basketball" is a nice game overall, fun and interactive, but it needs a fix in the scoring system: the runaway leader effect is so strong, that I could do nothing but watch the last 12 minutes knowing I had no chance at all to win.
This isn't an example of a runaway leader problem... just someone doing well. A runaway leader problem is when doing well early gives you an advantage so that you're more likely to do well going forward. So that once someone starts doing well it snowballs into an insurmountable advantage.

For example, imagine a game where winning an auction gives you tons of benefits, including a way to generate income. Once someone wins the first auction, they start generating more income than other people making it more likely they can win another auction. And when they win another auction they skew becomes more pronounced, until eventually they've won enough auctions that their income is just way more than everyone else's and it's clear that they'll win every auction. It's not just that they're ahead of everyone else... it's that the game is skewed so that no matter what else happens (even if you extended the game forever) there's no way anyone else could ever catch up. That income advantage in the hypothetical game would just continue to get worse the longer the game goes.

In your basketball example, if you extended the game to forever, it's conceivable that the other team could comeback. Sure, you have a huge lead, but there's nothing about the game itself that's preventing you from coming back. When there is, that's a runaway leader problem.


Bryan, I know this is not exactly a runaway leader problem. It's just comedy. Likewise, football doesn't really suffer from the "quarterback effect" or alpha player syndrome, but that was the closest I could imagine.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nano
msg tools
Avatar
Stomski wrote:
You don't need to differentiate football by calling it "soccer" if you're then going to refer to hand-egg as "american football".


I swear I considered the term "hand-egg", but I didn't want to offend anyone
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like the appetite for performance art is on the rise.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
Avatar

"Baseball is good, and I'd definitely play it if asked. It's just that cricket does it much better and it scratches the same itch"

10 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A M
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghost CoD wrote:

After a couple of games with experienced players, I discovered how easily some parts were broken.


I LOLed. Well-played.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
mbmbmb
So essentially, the same as regular sports writers.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Harpring
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Ghost CoD wrote:

"Cycling" reminds me of "Golf": this is actually a multiplayer solo game; no interaction in a game in the 21th century?


Just search "cycling crash" on youtube to see how far off the mark this is. Bowling, on the other hand...
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nano
msg tools
Avatar
Emu Prime wrote:
Ghost CoD wrote:

"Cycling" reminds me of "Golf": this is actually a multiplayer solo game; no interaction in a game in the 21th century?


Just search "cycling crash" on youtube to see how far off the mark this is. Bowling, on the other hand...


Hey, a guy once threw the ball so badly that it ended up on my lane...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A M
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghost CoD wrote:
Emu Prime wrote:
Ghost CoD wrote:

"Cycling" reminds me of "Golf": this is actually a multiplayer solo game; no interaction in a game in the 21th century?


Just search "cycling crash" on youtube to see how far off the mark this is. Bowling, on the other hand...


Hey, a guy once threw the ball so badly that it ended on my lane...


Bowling - now there's a rollfest, amirite?

. . . I'll see myself out.
9 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Smith
United States
Tavares
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh, I never realized most Euro games end in a score of 0-0(-0-0-0...)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nano
msg tools
Avatar
murjani1 wrote:
rollfest

So... ROFLMAO?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Marl
United States
Pissburgh
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ballet, chess? shake
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nano
msg tools
Avatar
fambans wrote:
ballet, chess? shake


Surprise...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nano
msg tools
Avatar
At this point, I'm glad to not have included "Table Tennis / Ping Pong": this is just a filler. If you're going to take this seriously, get offended or nitpick based on realism... you're not getting the thread
11 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bush
United States
West Decatur
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
At all cost
badge
"Some fights will just get you bloody"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No rugby, tsk tsk shake
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nano
msg tools
Avatar
Ghost CoD wrote:
"Table Tennis / Ping Pong": this is just a filler.


I'm offended, sir: the correct term is not Ping Pong, this is offensive. Also, this sport is extremely demanding, both physically and intellectualy... Had you played this, you would know this is as far from a filler as one can get. You are completely wrong.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nano
msg tools
Avatar
DanielFirestorm wrote:
No rugby, tsk tsk shake


As with Table Tennis, this was originally on the list, but then I forgot about it. Sorry.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gallagher
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few comments:

Basketball: Depends on the version - "NBA" basketball is different from "college" basketball.

Cycling: The Tour de France is in essence a team sport (totally unlike golf) - yes, there are individual awards for first overall and best sprinter, hill climber, rider under age 25, etc. The teams still work together to ensure that someone on the team wins those individual awards though.

Soccer (or if you prefer, "football", given the presence of the vastly different "American football" on this list): Yeah, it can be less than exciting for Ameritrashers who prefer high-scoring games rather than the one to nil affairs many of these wind up as...

Chess: See the game ranked 414 on BGG. Top 3% - so it must be well reviewed.

Baseball: Hopefully Mr. Gallo missed that pitch (big Orioles fan here - and that's Caleb Joseph behind the plate). I don't get how it's "push your luck" though (unless it's in regard to the decision of how long to leave the starting pitcher in - more of an issue in the NL with its different rules).

American Football: Yeah, the quarterback can make a big difference (see: Deshaun Watson)... or not (see: Nick Foles).

Formula 1: There are several board games that simulate this. I'll accept that a few of those may have a kingmaking element.

Tennis: I'll admit the scoring system is a bit strange - rather than simply 1, 2, 3 it's 15, 30, 40. The "deuce" is similar to volleyball (having to win by two points to earn the game).

As for the issue that "most points overall" doesn't necessarily win... I'm sure I can find a number of games like that.

Volleyball: Have you considered the "beach" version? Very different game...

Ballet: That I've got to see...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Highland Cow wrote:

"Baseball is good, and I'd definitely play it if asked. It's just that cricket does it much better and it scratches the same itch"



Oh I don't know...while Cricket is all well and good, Baseball streamlines it into a much better playtime (although I wouldn't necessarily call baseball streamlined )
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nano
msg tools
Avatar
Yuglooc wrote:

Tennis: I'll admit the scoring system is a bit strange - rather than simply 1, 2, 3 it's 15, 30, 40. The "deuce" is similar to volleyball (having to win by two points to earn the game).


Yeah, alright, let's get serious...

But what I'm pointing at with tennis' scoring is not the wierd progression in the nomenclature, is the fact that I could score more times than you and despite this, lose the game match even while scoring more points globally.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain Martel
Canada
Stoneham
Qc
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Games would be rated before they actually happened.
5 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.