Subject: Can I Borrow Five Bucks? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Carpenter
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools

Since this was my first game as a single player, I deliberately chose the Conductor character. I usually play solo with double characters, but the mental capacity was not ready for the more complicated challenge tonight.

Out of the gate I was tempted by an interesting situation. There were no opposition cards, but there was an interesting combo present. The Southern Congregations card (giving each player $2) was in the $1 slot and the Lane Theological Seminary card (allowing you to purchase a support token for $2 discount) was currently in the $4 slot.

I chose to give it a try, saving my money the first round to purchase the Lane Theological the next. I errored as it was two rounds before I could pull it off considering it had to slide twice to make financial sense. Moving two slaves out of plantations was my only play knowing I had plenty of room for the incoming slaves off the slave market.

The plan ended up working but not before the Slave Trade Act card (adding 2 slaves to each slave market card) reared its ugly head in the turn before I could purchase the support token. All in all, I think the first era was escaped rather unscathed!

Fast forward to the end. I have $9 to start the round, just shy of purchasing the final support token. Two slaves have successfully fled to Canada with three more eagerly awaiting one more move each to safety. The opposition, however, was the Tough Crossing card (disallowing slaves to cross to Canada via conductor tokens.) There were no slave movement cards available in the que! None!

Short a measly $5 to clinch a win, as it turns out, I was determined to play it forward as best I could. I purchased a 4  1 conductor token and picked up a South fundraising token. I purchased the Tough Crossing card for $3 then I moved the three slaves on the Northern border to Canada to safety completing the most important task. Smuggling a couple slaves out of plantations I then exercised the fundraising token to bring me up to $10. Had there been another round, I would have seen to it to have the money for the support token.

The lantern phase was harsh. A previous U.S. Marshalls opposition card caught three slaves and forced them back to the slave market. Combine that with the residual effect of the Slave Trade Act card and 11 slaves were to be placed onto the plantations this year. With only three slot open on the plantations and only two slaves left to lose before the loss, I ended up losing a half dozen slaves I could not account for.

Broken hearted, I tallied up my score to a +2 VP loss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.