Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
R Larsen
Denmark
Naerum (Copenhagen)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,
I will be in London, near Moorgate tube station over the weekend.
Any wargame shops nearby, that I should visit?
Cheers,
Ras

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LA Ulli
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mb
Unfortunately, none that I have seen. And I am there in the office every day...cry
A nice pub in the corner -the Globe-, anyway. Really busy on Friday afternoons
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leslie King
United Kingdom
Abbotts Ann
Hants
flag msg tools
For board wargames there’s only really two in London. Orcs Nest is near Piccadilly tube station, not a bad range upstairs and you can sometimes find oop stuff too. But it is pricey....

Then there’s Leisure Games in Finchley, better prices and range but a good way out from central London.

For miniatures there’s also a shop near Waterloo station.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
Your nearest option is Orcsnest - which is just off Cambridge Circus - from where you are a short tube trip on the Central line and walk down Tottenham Ct Road - doable in a lunch break.

Be advised it's not cheap but does have a goodish selection of waqrgames upstairs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
LeslieJK wrote:

Then there’s Leisure Games in Finchley, better prices and range but a good way out from central London.

Been there, you might as well shop at their online website - same prices.

I mourn for the little gameshop near the British Museum that had a small, but nice wargame selection in its basement. Both the museum and the shop used to be a fixed part of every trip to London back in the days
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Smith
United Kingdom
Newport Pagnell
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orcs Nest is the one in Central London and I find it quite hard to resist popping in for a quick scout when I'm down, as it's so central little detouring is generally required.

Be advised, though, that it is a very small store and mainly Euros etc. The board wargames section is probably only very roughly the equivalent of, say, 3 or 4 Ikea bookshelves worth (plus same again for minis and mini rules). When you go in there are stairs on the right of the till up to a sort of gallery - the wargames are up there. Also note it doesn't open Sundays.

Depending on your taste, you might also want to pop in Foyles Bookshop which is just round the corner on Tottenham Court Road and has quite a big military history section (incl lots and lots of Ospreys). And Forbidden Planet is also very nearby (if you're a sci-fi fan).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Larsen
Denmark
Naerum (Copenhagen)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys!
I will see if there is time for Orcs Nest.
Otherwise maybe the Globe...
Ras
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hellsten
United Kingdom
Thatcham
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
LeslieJK wrote:

I mourn for the little gameshop near the British Museum that had a small, but nice wargame selection in its basement. Both the museum and the shop used to be a fixed part of every trip to London back in the days

Playin' Games. I remember it fondly, it was the best of games shops while it was there.

Orcs Nest is a waste of time unless you haven't actually been into a games shop before or need to take a game home same day.

Leisure games is fun, if only because they have a proper wargames section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Pundyk
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
eddy_sterckx wrote:
LeslieJK wrote:

Wha...! That little shop is no more? What a pity. Both of those locations you mentioned were a regular part of my visits to London. Also, The Pillars of Hercules pub on Greek Street in Soho. Oh well, 2 out of 3 ain’t bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Proctor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There was one near the British Museam, but cannot remember it name (not the Orcs Nest).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So I did a bit of Googling to find a picture of the very distinctive front of the Playin' Games shop, only to come full circle to a post made here back in 2008

It went out of business in 2010.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Proctor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Forbidden Planet (179 Shaftesbury Avenue) dose have a games section;

Which is not that far away from the Orcs Nest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Proctor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
So I did a bit of Googling to find a picture of the very distinctive front of the Playin' Games shop, only to come full circle to a post made here back in 2008

That was the place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ian morris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Mids
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:

Sadly missed. Large wargame selection downstairs, I picked up a lot of stuff from there (including the infamous time I picked up a copy of Pegasus Bridge: ASL Historical Module 4 on my wife's birthday - she hasn't let me forget it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
gamer72 wrote:

Sadly missed. Large wargame selection downstairs, I picked up a lot of stuff from there (including the infamous time I picked up a copy of Pegasus Bridge: ASL Historical Module 4 on my wife's birthday - she hasn't let me forget it).

Because you didn't buy Module 3 : Kampfgruppe Peipper II - which was the one she really wanted ?

My pre-2010 record-keeping is non-existent, so I have no clue which games I picked up there, but my wallet was always lighter after I left.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hellsten
United Kingdom
Thatcham
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up my first edition Twilight Struggle there back in 2007. To be fair to Orc's Nest, it is much much better stocked than it used to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
RAVENBURG wrote:
I picked up my first edition Twilight Struggle there back in 2007. To be fair to Orc's Nest, it is much much better stocked than it used to be.

I skipped going there last December, but maybe I should put it back on the itinerary for my next visit to London.

This reminds me : there's also a very, very tiny gameshop in Camden Lock. Sells mostly mass-market stuff, but also some of the better-known eurogames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.