Popular Tags: [View All]
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's face it: All those *huge* containers are there to double the game price.

This is an economic game... Imagine 18XX with 7 inch resin locomotives and huge resin stations...

Miniatures have their place in games, but adding minis everywhere is just an excuse to double the game price!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Williams
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And?

If you want, you can print up your own copy and have something that looks like an ASL kit, 18XX game, or a Splotter game....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Bob
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm... I'm actually looking forward to the minis. I could have acquired a 2nd hand copy of the original game for a cheap price (prices have been dropping ever since the Kickstarter was announced) but instead decided I wanted the minis. I may be wrong but I believe the huge minis will give this game some table presence and new players won't simply dismiss the game as being a "dry economic game".

Btw, I would love to see an 18xx game with large resin pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aren't there threads already complaining about this? Personally, double the size just to tick off people more
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Hughes
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I definitely agree, this is one of several valid complaints about this edition that have been thoroughly beaten to death at this point.

Imo all that's left to do is hope those who took the plunge on this OTT production receive a quality product in a timely fashion and enjoy it greatly. It's a classic game that deserves more table time one way or another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilbert Kiemeneij
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
I know the rules, but how do you win this game?
badge
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a group of friends that I play with, where one of the most vocal players will pick a game with minis and/or great artwork over other games. The minis will help me introduce this group to economic games. I look forward to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick Note: I already own Container (1st edition) bought for 55€. But even if i didn't own it, i would prefer to buy TWO other economic games instead of paying for useless minis...

Go on... It is your money after all... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Williams
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoMan wrote:
Quick Note: I already own Container (1st edition) bought for 55€. But even if i didn't own it, i would prefer to buy TWO other economic games instead of paying for useless minis...

Thanks for the update?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Paterson
Canada
Georgetown
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoMan wrote:

I don't own Container. I avoided buying it because I knew there would be a reprint in its future, and I didn't want the easily cracked dental resin ships from the 1st edition.

I'm mostly just excited that the game is getting a new life, and I'll be able to get a copy. I love the new larger ships. Do I need them? No. But who says an economic shipping game can't have cool ships and containers?

Does it make it more expensive? Sure. I already pay over $100 for Splotter titles though. Doesn't feel that much different, to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You mean there's a version with minis? I'm in.

I thought it came only with ridiculously huge maxis ...

Someone thinks size matters, it seems ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hawkeye
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoMan wrote:
Let's face it: All those *huge* containers are there to double the game price.

This is an economic game... Imagine 18XX with 7 inch resin locomotives and huge resin stations...

Miniatures have their place in games, but adding minis everywhere is just an excuse to double the game price!

Your post was ill informed, but at least you were pretentious about it ...
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoMan wrote:
Imagine 18XX with 7 inch resin locomotives and huge resin stations...

Sign me up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilbert Kiemeneij
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
badge
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
mbmbmbmbmb
I want it come come with an app that does bookkeeping as well, can we do that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the ship size. I plan to play with them in my bathtub
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilbert Kiemeneij
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
badge
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
mbmbmbmbmb
Now there's an idea. Laminate everything and play the game in a swimming pool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Hjelmberg
Sweden
Saltsjö-Boo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Minis or not, the KS price was less than the price of an old and used copy when the new edition was announced. It was an easy decision for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Adam
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Congratulations. You have just discovered the secret message.
badge
Please send your answer to Old Pink, care of the Funny Farm, Chalfont.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ever since I bought those Friendship figures on the secondary market for Starfarers of Catan, things like "pimped out pieces that do nothing but raise the price of the game" hasn't bothered me so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Those containers have nothing on the custom's fees I got charged for the deluxe, 1/2-scale wooden trireme replicas I got with the KS edition of Hands in the Sea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adverb
United States
Yankeedom
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ChromiumAgeCollector wrote:
And?

If you want, you can print up your own copy and have something that looks like an ASL kit, 18XX game, or a Splotter game....

Link, please!

(Thanks in advance!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Williams
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adverb wrote:
Link, please!

(Thanks in advance!)

Seriously? You get that I meant the OP could just make his own components, right? And that it'd look as good as an ASL game, an 18XX, or a Splotter game? If not, try this link
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adverb
United States
Yankeedom
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adverb wrote:
Link, please!

(Thanks in advance!)

Seriously? You get that I meant the OP could just make his own components, right? And that it'd look as good as an ASL game, an 18XX, or a Splotter game? If not, try this link

Oh, I thought you had a link to some files that a person could use. Last I checked, Heiko's files for his Container redraw had been pulled. My one regret re: the KS is that they didn't figure out a way to offer a PnP pledge level...

ps. fwliw, I don't have a lot of problems with the aesthetics of ASL, 18xx, or Splotter. your mileage, obviously, varies tremendously.

edit: added a sad face for pathos!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Williams
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adverb wrote:
ps. fwliw, I don't have a lot of problems with the aesthetics of ASL, 18xx, or Splotter. your mileage, obviously, varies tremendously.

For 18XX and Splotter, it wouldn't be that big of a deal if it wasn't for the prices, especially with Splotter. $130 for games that look like prototypes? I want what they're smoking...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Had I known you didn't want the components, I would not have ordered extra containers and just bought yours, or traded you some of my kids crappy wooden building blocks for them! whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I paid double to get colors I could tell apart. The containers that look like containers are a bonus!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it.
badge
His marvels of artifice pale in comparison to the developing machinery of his mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
Adverb wrote:
Link, please!

(Thanks in advance!)

Before I found a first edition version of the game I just used Legos. Did the same with Neue Heimat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.