Hide
15 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: Creating a Hex Tile Map for a homebrew wargaming system rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eli Smith
msg tools
Hey people of BGG (I don't know if that acronym is actually used...) this is my first post, because I have a crisis on my hands!

I'm involved with Model United Nations program at the university I attend, and this year we are simulating the American Civil War for one of the committees. While it is largely politically oriented, there will be three two-hour periods where we will "zoom in" on particularly important battles, and the delegates will represent commanders on the field. I've created a system to simulate the battles, nothing too complicated so we don't have to spend much time teaching it (the conference takes place over only a few days). The problem is that I neglected to order a hex-tile set until it was too late, given that I live outside the US and Europe, so anything I ordered would arrive late.

So my question is whether there are any good cheap/free online hex tile sets that I could print off or copy that would be appropriate for the setting. If not, how would you all recommend going about making such a hex-tile map, given a week?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt L.
United States
Seahurst
Washington
flag msg tools
I have text here
badge
So important!
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you just need a hex map? I think an image search in google would land you things you could use.

But if you wanted a link to something - http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/95365/11x17-Dual-Sided-G...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eli Smith
msg tools
Thanks for the link, while I did find blank hex tile maps, I was looking for something more...predesigned, with generic river tiles, forests tiles, field tiles, etc. Where could I find those (Maybe it's just that I'm not used to it, but I find the various sites and such that offer tile sets rather arcane and can't tell quite what I'm getting/how to find it.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton (St. Louis)
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the fans of the game Ogre has a hex map creator system he uses, it offers some variety in terrain:

https://sites.google.com/site/robotsandeggs/home/ogremap2?pl...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter - Bits77
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What size of hexes do you need?

You need individual hexes depicting a variety of terrain features?

Cheapest and simplest would be to slap standard terrain symbols into hexagons, print them up on a heavy paper and start trimming them out. Find a sheet of plastic to hold them down.

Another approach for quick and dirty .... use google maps to create overhead imagery of the battlesites you are interested in. Place them in Illustrator, Inkscape, or another vector package, slap a white hexgrid over them, print them out. On multiple sheets if needed. Or spend a little to have a digital services bureau print them as posters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Godin
Canada
Grande Prairie
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you a crafty person? What I've done in the past, is have a large panoramic scene printed on heavier card type paper, and then draw out hexes myself and then cut it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eli Smith
msg tools
That might actually work! Hadn't occurred to me. It's certainly an idea, but I'd rather not have to spend the time. It's not a matter of being lazy (in this case ), but I'm so busy with the conference in general that I haven't got much time to work with, so I'd prefer maximum ease. Still, I may end up doing that, thanks for the idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Godin
Canada
Grande Prairie
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ie. Print something like this, in the scale of your choice, on heavier card stock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Bush
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don’t know where you’re headed but There are several games that are re-enactments/simulations of civil war battles. Prices range from $15 to $70 on Amazon (USA) so if in the USA you could have delivered overnight. Might take less time than building your own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Scotts Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try RPG now, there are a ton of maps that are Free or Pay What You Want:
http://www.rpgnow.com/browse.php?filters=0_2210_0_0_0&pto=0&...

Or this:
http://www.rpgnow.com/browse.php?filters=0_2200_0_0_0&keywor...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Lewis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those of you who can afford it I'd recommend looking into a Scan n Cut by Brother. You can create up to a 12 x 24 depending on which machine you get. Check it out on brother.com. I have the model 250.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Scotts Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Misplaced Buckeye wrote:
For those of you who can afford it I'd recommend looking into a Scan n Cut by Brother. You can create up to a 12 x 24 depending on which machine you get. Check it out on brother.com. I have the model 250.

I got a Silhoutte Cameo, but haven't really got it to do my gaming stuff for me yet. Except I made an awesome stencil for a cornhole set I built... and a nice DIY Tumblin-Dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Horse & Musket is cheap to buy in print-your own format and has a variety of hex terrain tiles. Buy once and print all you want. Look it up on wargameVault.com, mau suit your needs.

http://www.wargamevault.com/product/211943/Horse--Musket-Daw...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ThisUsernameIsALie wrote:
I've created a system to simulate the battles, nothing too complicated so we don't have to spend much time teaching it (the conference takes place over only a few days).

When you are done with your conference, maybe you can write-up the system you created - I'd be curious to hear about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cubeconvict wrote:
Try RPG now, there are a ton of maps that are Free or Pay What You Want[/url]

Or if you need single tiles you can print, cut-out and assemble to make your own maps, then maybe these ones:
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/112990/Medieval-Maps--Co...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.