Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King» Forums » General

Subject: Dealing with powerful Scroll stragies rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Barclay
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hey all,

So I've played a decent amount of this game now and I've noticed a rather powerful strategy. I don't want to call it overpowered just yet because it probably isn't but wondered what the community thought.

I've noticed that players who focus heavily on multiple scrolls and completing the location they're in do very very well. They do this whilst simultaneously ignoring the 4 scoring tiles on the central board. By doing this they stay in last place for most of the game (eking out the odd few points here or there) and therefore reap huge financial rewards through the catch up mechanic.

Then at the end of the game they zoom miles ahead of everybody. I've done this myself and seen a few other players do the same thing.

Basically what I'm asking is how I deal with this? Obviously there's no problem in any particular strategy but the odd thing about it is it's sort of counter-intuitive to the rest of the game and especially weird when teaching it:

"So in Isle of Skye you'll get points each round based on these scoring tiles. Except actually ignore those because scrolls are just better!"

One thing is clear through multiple plays is that this strategy might not work in every combination of scoring tiles. That set of 4 can lead to low or scoring games so I guess sometimes the scroll strategy will fail against players getting points "the old fashioned way". And of course as with all strategies if multiple players are both going full scroll it might split the points and financial rewards.

Anyway I'm rambling - DISCUSS!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I’d love to be able to pull out this kind of strategy, but never managed to. I guess it takes a bit of luck and a lot of vista.

I find it curious that you can completely ignore the scoring tiles and win. Maybe it’s a thing with your group?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryucoo
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You deal with it just as you counter any strategy, price up your tiles that help them, buy tiles from others that block them. Don’t let people have an easy ride!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
Brussel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scrolls are worth points and as such are valuable and should be priced accordingly. That said, ignoring the scoring tiles is just silly, they're at least as important as scroll tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david landes
United States
oak hill
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to pricing, also.. "axe" the scroll tiles you draw and buy their scroll tiles. Done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eli Lester
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I can't actually imagine a scrolls-only strategy. In general, a good scroll (enclosed) is only going to net you about 8-10 points max. On the other hand, focusing on the C and D scoring tile will often bring in at least 2x what a scroll is worth for the total 3 times they score (discounting the scoring tiles with 5pts for the most barrels/money/cows/whatever).

Imagine the enclosed water area scoring tile in position D. You have 3-4 rounds (depending on # of players) to complete, say, a 4-tile enclosed water area that will score 8 points. 3 times. So 24 points total. There is no scroll that's ever going to come close to scoring this much. And let's say it takes another round to finish - it still scores 16 points total.

Understanding the relative value of scoring tiles based on what position they occupy (A, B, C, D) and pricing your tiles correctly are the two important concepts of the game. Scrolls are a a way to win a close game, but you'll rarely (if ever) win a game solely with scrolls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryucoo
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
dklx3 wrote:
In addition to pricing, also.. "axe" the scroll tiles you draw and buy their scroll tiles. Done.

Good point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Brown
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I concur with the other feedback you have received emphasizing the variable nature of the game, and of any strategy. Obviously, grabbing a scroll and getting its terrain feature completed, and then grabbing as many of that item as possible is a viable strategy, as long as the points you net from that strategy exceed the points that other players net from whatever strategy they are using.

When teaching the game, I think you must mention the importance of being aware of what other players are doing, and letting this affect your decisions about what you axe and how you price, but realistically, most first time players cannot manage all of that information. I do find it useful to provide a narrative as the game involving first timers progresses... "John has completed his scroll with the points for ships, so every ship he gets is worth a point to him", "Claire has got 5 farms already", etc. just to promote a little awareness of what is happening. Also, remind everyone once the A tile has scored twice, and thus will only score one more time. I may also point out the reasons for actions I am taking.. I am going to axe this tile with 3 ships that I think John wants, or once prices are revealed and purchases are made, "I figured you wanted the tile with the ships so I priced it a bit higher."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.