Cosmic Encounter» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Are you just screwed if you draw a hand of low attack cards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Thrall
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
I was playing as Hacker and I drew a hand of 7 attack cards, 10 or less, and a negotiate. Short of trying to get my opponent to collect compensation from me, how else can I ditch that hand? At no point was a Cosmic Quake even close to happening and I was really lost as to how to salvage that situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Play your Negotiate... and offer "you take all my cards" as part of the deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryucoo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Why “short of”?

Smack talk and then throw down some N’s to build a better hand.
Ally with the defence to build a better hand.
Suggest negotiation and then win by burning a weak card and get your opponent to raid your hand.
Negotiate with card incentives, force cards on your opponent.
Promise to ally with 4 ships to poach some wins.
Reserve your best cards for the offence and ask for allies.
Burn your worst cards on defence.
Play the waiting game, a hand refresh is only round the corner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Thrall
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
It was my first game and no one would ally with me at all, even though I had 0 foreign colonies for the entire game.

In a situation like that, would you try to get ride of the hand and draw another, or instead try to draw more cards through compensation, defensive ally, etc?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack of Clubs
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hacker with a Negotiate can't find good cards?

When you look through the player's hand for the cards you want in compensation, be sure to grab another Negotiate so you can do this again. Also not a bad idea to grab a Mobius Tubes if you see one to get your ships back.

If the player you hack doesn't have good cards either, you'll know it and maybe be able to win against him.

Cards above 10 are fairly rare.

Why wouldn't anyone ally with you? Did you announce to everyone that you had bad cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone can win at poker when dealt a pair of aces.

Cosmic is about figuring out how to win when you get a bad hand. PS, everyone at the table likely has a "bad hand".

In regards to you specific situation, play the negotiate and sacrifice 4 ships. Ally on defense. Act like you have a great hand. Three easy fixes to your problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Some thoughts:

- Most cards in the game are 10 or lower. So you have to keep in mind that you might not actually have that much of a bad hand.

- You are Hacker, you will get good cards if you use a Negotiate. You get 4 cards in compensation, and you can try to get more Negotiates (to get more good cards), Moebius Tubes (So you don't lose too many ships) and other good cards.

- You can become a defensive ally to get more cards. If you have 0 colonies, chances are someone shouldn't mind giving you some stuff.

- You might have a bad hand, but your opponents don't know that. Try to bluff your way through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cain
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Evil-Do That I Do-Do
mbmbmb
The beauty of Cosmic is that you have to work with what you are given to win the game. My favorite wins are when I am dealt the worst possible hand and through a combination of the strategies Ryucoo suggested above I was able to pull off the win. Even if I get close I consider it a moral victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryucoo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There is always the “hey guys, I’m not going to win but I can certainly help you out!” strategy where you hint at having their flare, reinforcements, a powerful artifact etc. None of which you actually have to have in reality.

It’s amazing how often people let in a harmless loser only to see said loser climb the ranks back into the game, stumble on a few good cards and suddenly be in contention for the win. And while you’ve been playing safe to limp into the game, your pals have been burning all thier good cards against each other (few can hold onto attack 40 for long, it can’t wait to jump out of your hand!) and will be going into the final third of the game tired out against a new revitalised you.

Remember, if you aren’t the tables threat, someone else will be, and they will be getting stomped while you safely encourage it from the sidelines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Thrall
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
Well, it's was the first game for all of us, I left out flares for the first game, so of course it was a little dull. But not a single person allied with me (offense or defense) because I owned the game so I must know what I'm doing laugh

Obviously more play is needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Tapley
United States
Turlock
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still a bit bewildered how no one would ally on offense with you. Since they are new, just remind them that the point of the game is to get 5 foreign colonies. But, I do want to caution you on asking for offensive allies too much. When you do it, try to do it early, maybe to gain favor with a stronger alien power that might be able to help you down the road. But the basic rule of thumb is to win solo whenever possible, because that puts you in the lead. If a player to your left has a strong offensive power, a hand full of cards(or no cards), and is sitting at 2 colonies, asking them to ally with you on offense would be foolish. They will likely get a good shot at winning on their turn if you win your encounter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Thrall
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
It was a 6 player game and I only got to make use of my power once or twice as the game was over after 2 full rotations.

Speaking of large games, you're at a serious disadvantage if you are the last person to have a turn, right? Unless you have a power to do something as an ally or bystander, no one's going to invite you when you have 3+ colonies on offense unless they're tired of the game and go for a joint win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Watt
New Zealand
Wanganui
Wanganui
flag msg tools
badge
Play?
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding the OP.

In my experience, even with a bad hand you can often sneak out a few wins in the early round, because my play group always tries to save their highest cards for the end of the game. (Our games are usually 6-8 players and rarely make it around for everyone's second turn, don't worry though, everyone is fully involved.)

After those first couple of points, I like to just ride the ally train to 4 points.

By then I should have lost enough cards in my hand that I quick deal can get me cardless and ready for my last turn.

I also pretend as though my hand is amazing when it is not. That tactic is getting a little warn out though. It is almost a joke. "If Nick is 'oohing' and 'aaahing' over his hand then he is probably trying to get you to take them." Though it has worked while everyone was building a bit more of a meta around our games. (The current meta is pretty much - don't trust Nick.) If I could convince people through subtle actions that my hand was good, then I was more likely to have someone play plague on me, or to play negotiate when I was on attack.

Really, the best of both worlds for you to use your low numbers and convince them to play negotiate when you are attacking. Always play it off though that you are really nervous that THEY might attack YOU. So that when they finally do play negotiate, you have your prior concerns to fall back as cover for your in game misdeed.

I am beginning to see why people don't trust me in the context of this game....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Tapley
United States
Turlock
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jktstance wrote:
It was a 6 player game and I only got to make use of my power once or twice as the game was over after 2 full rotations.

Speaking of large games, you're at a serious disadvantage if you are the last person to have a turn, right? Unless you have a power to do something as an ally or bystander, no one's going to invite you when you have 3+ colonies on offense unless they're tired of the game and go for a joint win.

Yeah, playing especially with newer players, it can feel like it takes a while to see your turn if you are last in a 6 player game. But playing with any count, I've noticed the games last about 3 rounds give or take. While getting to play your alien power is part of the "cool" of the game, it isn't as important as the hand management and table control aspects of the metagame. Choosing an alien that has in it's play description "as any player" or "as Main Player or Ally" will guarantee you get to use it more in a large game. Having a power like Zombie(you drag other ships to the warp with you) or Fury(you gain power tokens for each ship you lose to the warp) will give you an advantage that makes people want to ally with you and help you; it gets used all the time. While another power like Leviathan(only works on offense, but gives you "world ships" worth 20) will only be useful on your turn. But man, what a power! It's hard to pass up.

As far as being at a disadvantage going last, if you have a power that benefits other players as an offensive ally, use that to your advantage to stay in the game. Otherwise, help remind players of the need and benefit of helping on the defense. Maybe player 1 is playing Leviathan or Virus(multiplies attack cards and ships). It's not unheard of for inexperienced players to get a bunch of allies to "show off" early on when attacking with a big power. Remind the other players that they have a good chance of winning on their second turn if they get too much help. As they can win more easily against players whose hands will likely be depleted.

If you find that choosing between 2 aliens at setup to be too limiting, have everyone draw 3 instead to choose from. In this game, the cream will usually rise to the top, in my experience regardless of the Alien they get. If I draw 5 Negotiates at the start of game, I don't boohoo because I'm not the Pacifist(wins with a Negotiate card), but think about how easy it will be to fill my hand with flares and useful artifacts via compensation.

Hang in there. I guarantee this is an amazing game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Thrall
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
joetaptaco wrote:
Hang in there. I guarantee this is an amazing game.

Yeah, I know. I saw a couple of youtubes of the game and I read the aliens and knew it was the game for me. But I seriously doubt the other people I'm playing with will play long enough to understand the strategies before they tire of the base game. Aside from adding flares, what else do you consider mandatory?

A lot of people seem to consider playing with 2 aliens each as important, but I don't think my group will get familiar enough with the rules to be able to handle this.

I have Incursion and Dominion so I'm going to be including the rewards deck soon.

How about alien suggestions? Some of the ones in the base game + Incursion are a little dull (not bad, just uninteresting) and I think many of the Dominion aliens are too complex for newbies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryucoo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There are loads of threads on aliens if you look about. Personally, I find very few base set and incursion aliens dull. Remember as a new player, try not to judge a power until you’ve seen it played. Some of the most basic powers are the most fun to play with and against.

If your fellow players aren’t gripped by the first few games, with flares and rewards included, the game might just not be for them. Because I fail to see what there is to “tire” of - no two games are ever the same. And I’ve been playing for years and years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.